• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45C down at Kingsville today

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sucked for him, but I'd rather be alive and unconscious, than the guy in the back who thinks his stud just died, who still needs to land the jet

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminds me of a story of my old CO in VT-3. LtCol Dean Lucas. When he was a young Capt Lucas he was an instructor in the VT's. Sitting in the back seat his aircraft has a bird strike with a Turkey Buzzard coming through the front windscreen..

In an amazingly similar incident in a VA-44 (FRS) T-A4 out of Cecil Field in '69. Lo-Nav w/fellow IP Squadron Leader (O-4) Ross Donaldson RNZAF (Xchange Pilot) rear seat, RP front. Over the Okeefenokee Swamp southern GA, 200-500' agl, 360 kts., a mallard drake smashed through the canopy port side hitting the IP square in the face, shattering his visor. One eye was gouged out, his face & the other eye severely lacerated.:eek:

Blinded & thinking they'd had a midair, the IP ejected. The RP calmly climbed to orbit the scene & iniated the successful RESCAP operation, then when relieved on-scene, then returned landing safely to Cecil. The IP was picked up some hours later, in the dark by a special swamp vehicle & rushed to NavHosp JAX.

Donaldson recovered, regaining enough vision in the remaining eye to remain on AD, limited to dual-piloted only status. He finished his Xchange tour, remained in the RNZAF, retiring as a Group Captain (0-6), from his finak posting as CO RNZAF Air Base Blenheim NZ in early '80s. I had the honor of being his Sponsor Officer when he was ordered to VA-44, and we & our families became close friends. He was quite a fellow & aviator, former Test Pilot (grad. of British Empire TPS).
BzB

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I will put in a plug for the T-56.. Saw a guy hit a FLOCK of birds during FLCPs when I was sitting in the LSO Shack.. I picked 38 off the runway. More than a handful went down the intake.. Engine did not give a shit, kept on running, but with a bad cooked bird smell from the ECS.

I concur. I'm wondering how much of that has to do with the fact that there's a giant propeller up front to break things up into "manageable" pieces?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I don't know that they're that manageable. The only turkey buzzard I hit with an engine went straight into the #2 oil cooler intake. From what I could tell standing on the ladder looking in, there was the better part of two feet, a beak, and at least most of a wing to go with all the guts, blood, and feathers. While pureed on impact, it looked like it all came in together.

I take that back. I hit a turkey in Maine. An honest to God turkey wandered onto the runway and prematurely ended a bounce flight in Brunswick. We called tower to do a FOD sweep. They only found turkey parts. In that case the blades did a pretty good job with manageable pieces.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The teeth = gear-up was the rumor in '98/'99 when I went through primary. I'm sure there is a crusty dude in Maint who knows the reality, but no one I've ever met could state the reason for the teeth as a fact.

I'm pretty sure either (or both) Paula and Ken (aka, "Super Ken," THE best trouble-shooter on the line) told me the tooth story, so I'm considering it pretty legit.

Well, it was only 6mo long. I never saw one and certainly never flew one. Maybe I got a little carried away being so definitive, but I remember being disappointed that I never saw or flew one.

Ironically, the few WORST flying birds I flew didn't have teeth on them. God knows what some stud/IP did to them, but they sure as hell didn't fly straight. "Wait, my ball is centered, my AI is level, but my RMI is turning...what the hell?"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I take that back. I hit a turkey in Maine. An honest to God turkey wandered onto the runway and prematurely ended a bounce flight in Brunswick. We called tower to do a FOD sweep. They only found turkey parts. In that case the blades did a pretty good job with manageable pieces.

A turkey on the runway? Eh. Pales in comparison to the midair (yeah, I said midair) deer strike of THREE deer my buddy had. He was upset he didn't get two more so he could have been an ace in one night.

gotta_fly

pilot
I took a little bird square in the windscreen once at night. The spot it made was a little bigger than a softball, mostly yellowish in color, and reminded me of hitting a giant bug on the highway. That same night we found close to a dozen more spots like that on the flaps during postflight.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A turkey on the runway? Eh. Pales in comparison to the midair (yeah, I said midair) deer strike of THREE deer my buddy had. He was upset he didn't get two more so he could have been an ace in one night.

Was he the IP who was publicly berated for not "expecting the unexpected" while preparing for his flight?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Was he the IP who was publicly berated for not "expecting the unexpected" while preparing for his flight?

Yup. Helpful advice, isn't it? He also has one of the best callsigns ever from our JO tour.

This was the second deer strike in a month and at that time, this is when our squadron was told we need to be doing it better...after we had just out-produced the other two squadrons in the wing and had the highest Advanced completion rate out of all 6 primary squadrons in CNTRA. Not a great time to be in Wing 5.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pales in comparison to the midair (yeah, I said midair) deer strike of THREE deer my buddy had.

Midair? Maybe a reconition problem......perhaps Reindeer, fat jolly dude in a sled, practicing "roof & go" landings?;)
BzB

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This wasn't Hyfi was it? I've been trying to figure out his callsign since he was my onwing back in the day.

Yup. I'll give you the first one...the H stands for his last name. And yes, the F is what you would think it would be.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yup. Helpful advice, isn't it? He also has one of the best callsigns ever from our JO tour.

This was the second deer strike in a month and at that time, this is when our squadron was told we need to be doing it better...after we had just out-produced the other two squadrons in the wing and had the highest Advanced completion rate out of all 6 primary squadrons in CNTRA. Not a great time to be in Wing 5.

I PCS'ed away right before that standdown so I missed the show... but I heard about it from my friends. Weird, and unfortunately there were a lot of other similar weird things back then.