• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45C down at Kingsville today

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I was at North Whiting in 04-05 there were NO T-34s with teeth. There were pictures of them around, but none on the line. I had also heard the "teeth=gear up" story.

When I got there in '05, there were definitely a couple of teethed Wieners. Not many, but a couple. Maybe they were all in phase...for your entire Primary career.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It was an F-106 that landed in a snow-covered field, plenty close enough for government work. ;)

Reminds me of a story of my old CO in VT-3. LtCol Dean Lucas. When he was a young Capt Lucas he was an instructor in the VT's. Sitting in the back seat his aircraft has a bird strike with a Turkey Buzzard coming through the front windscreen.

The carcass hits the student (front seat) in the face and then continues aft to hit Capt Lucas in the face, smashing his visor.

Capt Lucas' face is rapidly swelling and he can barely see. Looking forward he can see that the student's head is slumped over and thinks he's dead. Capt Lucas can't see well enough to land, so he makes a Mayday call and bails out.

Soon, the student wakes up (having been knocked unconscious from the bird strike) and lands the plane without his instructor.

A call sign was born, Dean "Buzzard" Lucas.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Nice, reminds me of a story from not that long ago in Kingsville......IIRC bird hit stud in front seat coming into the break, blew up, and all the IP saw from the back was blood (from the bird) and a slumped over student. Guy ended up being ok, but I'm sure it scared the crap out of his poor IP.

Pags

N/A
pilot
When I got there in '05, there were definitely a couple of teethed Wieners. Not many, but a couple. Maybe they were all in phase...for your entire Primary career.
Well, it was only 6mo long. I never saw one and certainly never flew one. Maybe I got a little carried away being so definitive, but I remember being disappointed that I never saw or flew one.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Nice, reminds me of a story from not that long ago in Kingsville......IIRC bird hit stud in front seat coming into the break, blew up, and all the IP saw from the back was blood (from the bird) and a slumped over student. Guy ended up being ok, but I'm sure it scared the crap out of his poor IP.

That has happened (again?) within the the last month. BASH low- but that one effing turkey buzzard is going sit at the 45 all day long.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah man, birds are to T-45's as flak/SAM's were to Thuds in VN. I'm sure the stories will continue until someone realizes that a single seat jet with a bitchy little motor that cant handle a 1 oz sparrow in the dome, is a bad idea. Oddly enough, my only Goshawk birdstrike was in El Sweato, not the bird swarm haven of the Meridian/Joe patterns.

MasterBates

The 45 is not the problem as much as the engine.. It can't eat crap and keep on going..

I will put in a plug for the T-56.. Saw a guy hit a FLOCK of birds during FLCPs when I was sitting in the LSO Shack.. I picked 38 off the runway. More than a handful went down the intake.. Engine did not give a shit, kept on running, but with a bad cooked bird smell from the ECS.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The teeth = gear-up was the rumor in '98/'99 when I went through primary. I'm sure there is a crusty dude in Maint who knows the reality, but no one I've ever met could state the reason for the teeth as a fact.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah man, birds are to T-45's as flak/SAM's were to Thuds in VN. I'm sure the stories will continue until someone realizes that a single seat jet with a bitchy little motor that cant handle a 1 oz sparrow in the dome, is a bad idea. Oddly enough, my only Goshawk birdstrike was in El Sweato, not the bird swarm haven of the Meridian/Joe patterns.
I recall blowing through a whole flock of seagulls during a section low-level in NMM. Quote from my IP: words to the effect of "OK, that's it. I'm letting this qual lapse; that's too many close calls."

Swanee said:
but that one effing turkey buzzard is going sit at the 45 all day long.
At Whidbey, we have suicidal bald eagles off Runway 25.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That has happened (again?) within the the last month. BASH low- but that one effing turkey buzzard is going sit at the 45 all day long.

Yeah, just happened...I was taxiing out when I heard the emergency call and went by the jet after it was clear of the runway. Student was lucky compared to the last one, went through the top of canopy, giant hole, blood and guts everywhere but student okay.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The 45 is not the problem as much as the engine.. It can't eat crap and keep on going..

I will put in a plug for the T-56.. Saw a guy hit a FLOCK of birds during FLCPs when I was sitting in the LSO Shack.. I picked 38 off the runway. More than a handful went down the intake.. Engine did not give a shit, kept on running, but with a bad cooked bird smell from the ECS.

Depends, VAW-116 lost a bird in Pt Mugu when they hit birds, lost both motors. But I agree, it's much tougher motor than the underpowered, weak POS we have in the Goshawk.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Have had the puree'd hickory smoked turkey buzzards several times, especially in el sal where they are everywhere. Only had one engine shit itself; The t56 is a tough mother.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of a story of my old CO in VT-3. LtCol Dean Lucas. When he was a young Capt Lucas he was an instructor in the VT's. Sitting in the back seat his aircraft has a bird strike with a Turkey Buzzard coming through the front windscreen.

The carcass hits the student (front seat) in the face and then continues aft to hit Capt Lucas in the face, smashing his visor.

Capt Lucas' face is rapidly swelling and he can barely see. Looking forward he can see that the student's head is slumped over and thinks he's dead. Capt Lucas can't see well enough to land, so he makes a Mayday call and bails out.

Soon, the student wakes up (having been knocked unconscious from the bird strike) and lands the plane without his instructor.

A call sign was born, Dean "Buzzard" Lucas.

This story was mentioned to us during ground school Whiting only a couple of months ago. The instructor also said that Capt. Lucas had a some bad luck with his landing site as well.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

Poor IP?

I'd say poor student.