• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45C down at Kingsville today

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Sucks to hear about a mishap, but it's always a huge relief to see that the aircrew got out safely and no one on the ground was injured.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
"A Navy spokesman would not say whether the aircraft was salvageable or a total loss."

Asking not in reference to this specific incident, but has anyone heard of an aircraft that the crew punched (or bailed) out of that was salavaged and later reflown?

My limited expirience seeing aircraft that went in after the crew got out, did not leave much to salvage.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"A Navy spokesman would not say whether the aircraft was salvageable or a total loss."

Asking not in reference to this specific incident, but has anyone heard of an aircraft that the crew punched (or bailed) out of that was salavaged and later reflown?

My limited expirience seeing aircraft that went in after the crew got out, did not leave much to salvage.

If the crew punched on the runway (about to go into the dirt, etc).

Pugs

Back from the range
None

FrankenProwler flew again after the crew ejected on the bounce at NFL I believe. Jet ended up between the duels with one engine running, nose gear collapsed and four ejection seat guns sticking through the canopy. It's on a stick now. ECMO 1 got offered orders to Antarctica (no kidding)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm pretty sure that jet ended up back in that squadron - where it stayed for quite a few years and made too many appearances in my logbook.

Bureau Number (BUNO) 158542 is made up of three EA-6Bs pieced together as one. The unorthodox method for building an airplane has been dubbed ̶0;Franken-Prowler.”
Franken-Prowler is the result of the efforts of NAVAIR Depot, Jacksonville, Fla. Their goal is to provide the fleet with an additional Electronic Warfare asset by combining the forward fuselage of BUNO 158542, the aft fuselage of BUNO 158547, and pieces of BUNO 156482. The three aircraft were all part of the Advanced Capability (ADVCAP) Program, which aimed to incorporate multiple improvements into the airframe.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Asking not in reference to this specific incident, but has anyone heard of an aircraft that the crew punched (or bailed) out of that was salavaged and later reflown.

We had an accident in VA-44 at Cecil Field, where an RP in an A-4 was landing in a stiff crosswind (after one attempt resulting in a T & G}. As he drifted off the side of the runway he ejected, but was killed when seat/man separation failed. The aircraft received minimal damage as it slid slowly to a stop in the grass. The engine was still running when the crash crew arrived. The A/C was up & flying within days of AAR completion.

Another I read recently, was a 'legendary' incident way back in the day, where a USAF F-102 ?? pilot ejected at high altitude, slowly spiraled down and landed at a decent attitude/rate of descent, receiving repairable damage. Returned to service, it was assigned to several Squadrons before ending it's service life. Being by then famous, it was retired to and is still on display at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton OH.
BzB

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
So glad to hear both made it OK, if anything it should build confidence in the ejection system. As a big dude (6'3" 230) I was really nervous about makin it out of that airplane relatively injury free if I ever had to, that cockpit was a tight fit to say the very least.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So glad to hear both made it OK, if anything it should build confidence in the ejection system. As a big dude (6'3" 230) I was really nervous about makin it out of that airplane relatively injury free if I ever had to, that cockpit was a tight fit to say the very least.

Couldn't be any more snug than the A-4... and our ejections over decades (in combat & including a few bigger Dudes than you), were relatively injury-free!:)
BzBBzB 604 Ejection.jpg

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Couldn't be any more snug than the A-4... and our ejections over decades (in combat & including a few bigger Dudes than you), were relatively injury-free!:)
BzBView attachment 10307

No doubt. There was a very cool sim IP in kingsville who was an A-4 driver, he once told me the story of his ejection at KNFL after the jet refused to go flying, he had a couple inches of height and some more LB's than me at the time he said. Sadly, he has passed on since I left kingsville. Truly a guy who cared about the studs and would bend over backwards to help anybody.