• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 Goshawk question??

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Okay, not to sound like a noob but from the 45 IP's or former studs, what nose attitude would it take for a 45 to go supersonic?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Put it this way, @ 485 KIAS, MRT; 15*ND slowed the plane down... Which was only like .90. Good luck getting to the max rated 1.04M. I'm fairly certain you need balls made of titanium, and a R/MOA area to FL410-Floor. Maybe someone here has done it though? Maybe our infamous sim instructor Mr. Z*****?

MasterBates

Some 45s are faster than others. The airframes that are noticeable bent don't like to go as fast as others. I've come into the break at the speed of smell a couple times, but it was all gravity assist and managed to make it work where I was coming down all the way to the numbers.

If the sim is to be believed,50 nose down at MRT out of 35K will break the number passing 15k or so.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I've come downhill from FL410 on FCFs at MRT to get max smack and I never saw the number. Not saying it can't be done, but it wasn't made for it.

And asking that question will probably not win any points from the squadron COs down here. Sounds like you want to get through the number before you hang up your spurs.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
MRT, 90 down from 41K.

Exactly how we attempted it in the A4B...

IIRC , following certain maintenance procedures (possibly engine changes or flight control repairs), maintenance test flights were required..."booming" the a/c was an optional item on the check list...

Up to FL410...five minutes at MRT (LOL)...0 g maneuver (absolute minimum induced drag) into the vertical...initiate pullout at 20,000' AGL...

Got a little "nose tuck" approaching M 1.0...required a lot of back pressure on the stick to get the nose coming up...:eek:! Did it ~4 or 5 times...never failed to post M1.0 + 1 RCH...clean birds, I guess!!

BZB...A4s...how's my memory? That sound about right?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supersonic Flight

BZB...A4s...how's my memory? That sound about right?

That's about how I recall it.

The one proviso that I remember was that supersonic flight was verboten with any external stores (including empty drop tanks). About the only opportunity we ever had to break mach1 was on a PM test hop before installing drops.

As a comparison, my 1st Squadron (VF-94) was flying straight FJ-4 Furys prior to delivery of our 12 factory new A4D-2s (A4Cs). The clean Fury would go supersonic in a 20-30 degree dive/full power from 30K (same J-65 engine as the A4B), without a burble. Wonderful handling jet!:)
BzB

*YooHoo Blackshoe, where are you?:confused:

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And asking that question will probably not win any points from the squadron COs down here. Sounds like you want to get through the number before you hang up your spurs.

Ha! Not me, I could care less about hitting that nubmer lol. Somebody asked me if it was capable and I didn't know so I asked, that simple. The Bunk is way conservative now days. Perhaps I should have started off that "I don't plan on doing this but would like to ask...." However, I'm not a newbe or wannabe, 16.5 years active so I felt I didn't need to justify my reasoning for the question. If one is going to do something that could be construed as "bad" you don't announce it to everyone. Just my thinking on it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm reminded of the legend that the old Yellow Peril, a classic Navy trainer, couldn't reach Vne even in a dive- not necessarily a bad characteristic in a training airplane.

Just sayin'...

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
However, I'm not a newbe or wannabe, 16.5 years active so I felt I didn't need to justify my reasoning for the question. If one is going to do something that could be construed as "bad" you don't announce it to everyone. Just my thinking on it.

I figured as much. Just wanted to make sure Sticky and Ferris knew that, too.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I figured as much. Just wanted to make sure Sticky and Ferris knew that, too.

What ever squadron I end up flying with, they don't have to worry about me, too old and experienced for any funny shit :) Anytime an aviator says 'watch this', it's almost always followed by 'oh shit' and death. A kid asked me if it could supersonic and I told him in a dive probably but I'd ask. They only way to know is if someone had attempted it.

Does a wing pilot pick a squadron to fly with and only them? At TW-5, that's how we did it, pick one squadron and that was the only squadron we flew with.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
At TW-2 you will most likely fly with both squadrons. Sometimes associates are used to plus up a squadron that needs IPs more, but when the manning is same-same they schedule associates on odd-even days with each squadron. Subject to change, of course, but that's the way it worked when I left a few weeks ago.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
At TW-2 you will most likely fly with both squadrons. Sometimes associates are used to plus up a squadron that needs IPs more, but when the manning is same-same they schedule associates on odd-even days with each squadron. Subject to change, of course, but that's the way it worked when I left a few weeks ago.

TW-5 liked having a consistent roster of pilots at a particular squadron. We would wear the squadron patch we were flying with when we flew.