• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

t-38 instructor tour

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Are your memories of Goshawk land that bad? If you want to be an IP you can get 35 to 55 hours a month, all the ACM you want and day traps only in Kingsville or Meridian. After that, if you decide to make the Navy a career you might still have a chance. An IP tour with the AF would scream to detailers and selection/screen boards that you're not the guy they're looking for.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck and hope your first Hornet tour has been a blast.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Are your memories of Goshawk land that bad? If you want to be an IP you can get 35 to 55 hours a month, all the ACM you want and day traps only in Kingsville or Meridian. After that, if you decide to make the Navy a career you might still have a chance. An IP tour with the AF would scream to detailers and selection/screen boards that you're not the guy they're looking for.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck and hope your first Hornet tour has been a blast.

What about an associate IP, meaning someone from the wing?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
What about an associate IP, meaning someone from the wing?

From my limited experience with the CAP...
OK, for real, the first shore tour after your first fleet tour isn't the end-all-be-all for a career, but staying with your community is a definite plus. The TRACOM used to be death-on-wheels, but that's changing. An associate IP with the wing probably won't hurt if you get good paper ranked against others. If you're the only O-3 on staff, work hard and make friends in high places.
I survived a first shore in the TRACOM and back to a DH tour in Hornets and eventually O-5, but failed to screen for a squadron. Did the TRACOM tour hurt? Maybe, maybe not. When your record is stacked against everyone elses and they all have the same numbers and words, discriminators start to get pulled out. My feeling now is that Navy TRACOM won't kill a career and offers lots of flying and fulfillment. An exchange tour to an AF training unit would probably be hard to overcome career-wise.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
From my limited experience with the CAP...
OK, for real, the first shore tour after your first fleet tour isn't the end-all-be-all for a career, but staying with your community is a definite plus. The TRACOM used to be death-on-wheels, but that's changing. An associate IP with the wing probably won't hurt if you get good paper ranked against others. If you're the only O-3 on staff, work hard and make friends in high places.
I survived a first shore in the TRACOM and back to a DH tour in Hornets and eventually O-5, but failed to screen for a squadron. Did the TRACOM tour hurt? Maybe, maybe not. When your record is stacked against everyone elses and they all have the same numbers and words, discriminators start to get pulled out. My feeling now is that Navy TRACOM won't kill a career and offers lots of flying and fulfillment. An exchange tour to an AF training unit would probably be hard to overcome career-wise.

Sorry, wasn't clear though good info but I'm way beyond that point. I meant do you know how much flight time can an associate IP with the wing get?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Flight time for the associates at the wing will depend greatly on the Commodore's attitude. Usually about 1/2 to 3/4 what the squadron IPs are getting probably isn't too far off.

MasterBates

Dumb question-

What is this "IP" thing I keep hearing of with fixed wing squadrons?

When I was a helo guy, I never heard of an "IP" past the the HTs.

phrogpilot73

there weren't instructor pilots in the squadrons?
There are, but since each different thing needs a different instructor - we never refer to them as IPs. You've got (in the phrog world): TERFI, NSI, DMI, WTI, ANI, NI, and Instrument Instructor. Sometimes these guys are your peers...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Though hearing "IP" in the RAG was pretty normal, so not sure if MB just walked around w/ his fingers in his ears.

MasterBates

Yeah, and to clear up the confusion I got via PMs, I thought being an "Associate IP" was being at a fleet wing and being farmed out to fleet squadrons to do checks sort of shore tour.

Basically what Phrog said is what I saw in the helo world. We had "instructors" but it was for certain things:

Being an ANI, NVGI, FCP and ATO4 I could "instruct" (more like fly with non-qualed guys and give them their signoffs/checks) and do checkrides, but it was not an all encompassing thing.

ANI = Assistant NATOPS Instructor (had qual, but rarely used it)
NVGI = Night Vision Goggle Instructor - I had more leeway with currency and could make non current guys current and do initial NVG quals
FCP = Fly functional checkflights and give guys signoffs. Checkride done by QAO or MO
ATO = 400 level TAC qual. I could give 1/2/300 level checks/signoffs. Not sure if that is similar across platforms, but 100 was RAG graduate, 200 was H2P, and 300 was the baseline HAC qual.