• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-2s

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah.. though its anywhere from every 2-3 minutes to one or twice a flight depending on the aircraft. Always after anything dynamic... fall & stalls, BFM etc. Always checked it about 2-3 minutes prior to a turn on low levels.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is it like a Cessna where you have to align it to the mag compass every so often?
I don't remember it as being Buckeye specific, but I do remember "align the compass" as being @ the first thing on a "penetration" checklist while under the bag and doing Yoke patterns and/or a "real" approach.

All training airplanes -- it was just the gyro on the Attack Guppy seemed to be squirrelier (sp?) than the AbaJaba on the TA-4.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hrm. GPS/INS seems to have done away with that. I can't remember the Penetration Checklist from T-45s to save my life, but I don't recall having to align the compass since T-34s. But, then look where being a HUD cripple's got me . . .:icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....But, then look where being a HUD cripple's got me . . .:icon_tong
I never did it in civie street --- align prior to push --- INS or not. I don't EVER remember seeing a compass swing in civie street, either. They had deviation cards on the wet compass that looked like they had been done in WW2.

Wet compass?? Waaa'ts that ??? :eek:

"Just do it" seemed to be the order of the day in the airlines ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... It must have been really fun to do BFM with for those IPs in NFO land.
Flyin' the Guppy in ACM is about as close as you're ever going to get to flyin' a WW1 dogfight -- super maneuverable, slow, straight wing characteristics, a "manual" stick ... all good stuff. Good learning platform, too --- a GREAT intro to Aviation 201 post T-34 (which was 101) ... something no Naval Aviator should ever have to do without.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw that VT-86 has a T-2 sundown page with the last T-2 student flight scheduled for AUG08 and the flight to the boneyard in SEP08. Lots of festivities scheduled for AUG08. I should be there for the fun!

If this is old news, let me know and I'll delete this post.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see the CTW-6/VT-86 T-45s zipping around overhead pretty frequently now. Guess they're getting the instructors qual'ed (?) Not sure when the studs will start going through the syllabus.

Now here's a badass T-2 right here:

YGP45.jpg

Some things never die...they live on forever. Great spin bird. Has been discussion years back to use T-2 just for a decicated spin syllabus.

Ah the infamous gun pattern. there are those remember and those who just aren't lucky to have experienced that great training and fun solo's.

Still loved the raised canopy design vice T45. enough said.

Agree ... except I hate to spin jets --- it's kinda like practicing bleeding ... but the T2 with that big, straight wing was "O.K." -- assuming you wanted to spin ... and the Buckeye WAS GREAT in the gun pattern @ VT-4 Mainside ... an outstanding introduction into John Wayne flying while still a Navy STUD. :)

Wish I could find some pix of the gun patterns --- tractor towing the banner and a flight of four max performing the T-2 (or later the TA-4 and TF-9) .... I saw a painting (online) a few years ago ... but today, can't find it .... buttkiss. Anyone ??? Anyone ???

BELOW: A VERY nervous yours truly :eek: ... suckin' it up, first jet solo, VT-7 Meridian, taken by the chase plane backseat guy. :)

firstsolouw1.jpg

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I think I broke 807 once... well, I didn't break it... it kinda broke itself while climbing out of NPA. Nothing major... just not exactly something you'd want broken going into a bombing pattern.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I think I broke 807 once... well, I didn't break it... it kinda broke itself while climbing out of NPA. Nothing major... just not exactly something you'd want broken going into a bombing pattern.

You know, 807 was in the hangar pretty much the entire time I was in T-2's.