• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-2s

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I don't remember. Maybe A4s will know. We used to tempt fate by getting right up against mach 0.96-0.98, so maybe it had something to do with the plane being transonic on a cold day. Heck, it could have been our imagination, but it was pretty cool.

That being said, back on the ground at the O'Club at Meridian, we always had at least one person ask why we were taking a 25-30 year old airplane so fast that we could see the back end moving around. I'm not sure, except maybe the same reason a dog licks its balls: because it can.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've only got about 150 hours in the T-2C but damn, it was fun to fly.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I still remember Bunk having my better half betting the XO and an IP they couldn't snort that tequilla through their noses during the CQ party. Don't forget the dog chains through the nose also.

Those were the days. Sitting in the SNA's ready room and telling the P-3 IPs to kiss our ass because they couldn't touch us since we weren't in their program during the turnover days.

A few years back VT-86 nearly had a E-2 and P-3 bubba flying for them after two were selected by the old TAR system. Both had been IPs in Meridian for more then two years but when the skipper in Pcola heard it didn't last long. They nearly slipped through the crack.

Master, I would say that we not only had our own squadron but nearly two airports to ourselves. Yea, sure we shared with the Blues for a month or two a year and also the NFO program but when your the only single anchor program around you feel loved. Not only that we were really the only ones using Choctaw at the time and it sure had some fun course rules for getting in and out of.

That's awesome! I was on that Key West Det and have that patch! Definitely a "forgiving" platform and excellent intro to jet-powered aviation. But with the new T-6, I'm not sure the current generation of studs need it! Doesn't that thing cruise at 200+ kts?

MasterBates

Only Navy SNAs that have seen the T-6 are the ones who have gone to the USAF for Primary.

I was told my by Primary VT CO that part of the reason for no replacement for the T-2 was that the T-6 had the perfromance so the T-6 to T-45 jump was smaller than the T-34 to T-45 jump.

Of course the T-6 is not in primary squadrons yet, and the T-2 has been gone from pilot training for years.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was told my by Primary VT CO that part of the reason for no replacement for the T-2 was that the T-6 had the perfromance so the T-6 to T-45 jump was smaller than the T-34 to T-45 jump.

Of course the T-6 is not in primary squadrons yet, and the T-2 has been gone from pilot training for years.

Exactly. The T-34 to T-45 jump has been going on for how many years now?? Looks like that really didn't work the way they wanted it to.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Doesn't that thing cruise at 200+ kts?
Something like that -- at altitude. I remember a controller on my STUD X-Country asking us up @ 40,000': "what kind of airplane is it that flies so high and goes so slow ... " :D

Huggy Bear

pilot
Something like that -- at altitude. I remember a controller on my STUD X-Country asking us up @ 40,000': "what kind of airplane is it that flies so high and goes so slow ... " :D

Remember that wobble up at altitude too. It kind of had this slow oscillation like a drunk on a barstool.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Remember that wobble up at altitude too. It kind of had this slow oscillation like a drunk on a barstool.

It helps if you empty the wing tanks before transferring the tips. Yes, it did get wobbly eventually, but the tips delayed it for awhile. I think that it halped save gas as well.

Too bad it's going away. It was a blast to fly. It must have been really fun to do BFM with for those IPs in NFO land.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And so did we. BFMs were pretty fun.

Never experienced the wobble. However, watching the compass card drift out of alignment was always fun.
Is it like a Cessna where you have to align it to the mag compass every so often?