• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sword for wedding before TBS?

occhi69b

I commission this may and am supposed to go to TBS in November. I'm getting married before TBS in August. Anyone know If I should have my sword if I'm getting married in dress blue whites? Or if I'm supposed to wear the sam browne belt at the wedding? Any info would help. Also about PTAD. Can I do PTAD with my towns enlisted recruiter before TBS? Thanks.

batman527

Banned
PTAD with an enlisted recruiter would be a little ackward I would think, considering you'd be an officer and he'd most likely be a NCO. Maybe your situation is different, and maybe I'm way off base, but that's the way it seems to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers.

KBayDog

Sword and Sam Browne are up to you - it's your wedding. If you are getting married in a church, make sure to find out if they want you to have a sword inside (generally not).

I was married in B/W "A" w/ Sam Browne; my groomsmen wore the same, and after the mass donned their swords for the arch. Good times.

LegalWarrior

I got married between OCS (2002) and TBS (2006). I found some fellow 2nd Lt.'s for the arch who were either at TBS or had already purchased dress blues. They went with dress blues, swords, but no sam brown belts. I went with the white trousers but no sam brown or sword. It was a Catholic wedding, so no swords in the church. I'd recommend as a groom to go without the sam brown or sword, but do wear white trousers. The GySgt at my OSO said there are few times to bust out the white trousers, but a groom at a wedding is one of them.

JTD

on a similar note, I'll be flying to my buddies wedding in a few weeks and was wondering what sort of issues will arise with bringing my sword. obviously it would have to go as checked luggage, but i've heard there could be problems with this. anyone have any experience?

Carno

Insane
What happens if you get married in the winter but want to wear the blue-white dress uniform for your wedding? Is that not allowed since it's winter?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Carno said:
What happens if you get married in the winter but want to wear the blue-white dress uniform for your wedding? Is that not allowed since it's winter?

You can wear whatever you want for your wedding. Time of season is irrelavent.

usmcecho4

pilot
jtd22 said:
on a similar note, I'll be flying to my buddies wedding in a few weeks and was wondering what sort of issues will arise with bringing my sword. obviously it would have to go as checked luggage, but i've heard there could be problems with this. anyone have any experience?

Just put it in a hard sided rifle case and check it. My buddy did this and everything was fine.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

bellebeast1

Hurry up and wait
Theres a book availlable for officers called "Ettiquette for officers" which the Navy sells--it has two whole chapters dedicated to weddings in it--if you are going to do an official navy wedding, I suggest you get that--it should answer every question you have. good luck and congrats!

And if you're going to buy your officers sword--marlow and white (web site online when you quarry Navy swords) is really good. my family gave my husband that for his commissioning and it is a gorgeous sword. but it costs about 500 dollars--which is what it would cost at the NEX for the not as nice version the Navy puts out. AT least that was my opinion when I saw the Navy one compared to my husbands.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a long reply typed up but decided otherwise

1) He's not in the Navy
2) There is no USMC-specified manner in which weddings must be conducted
3) There is a very short paragraph in the Drill Manual that briefly describes how to do a sword arch
4) The Drill Manual is free and available online in .pdf format all over, so it'd be stupid to buy some Navy manual.
5) The last thing the USMC needs is a bunch of squids telling it how to conduct drill.

KBayDog

you don't have to take my advice-- I was trying to help. sorry for posting if you don't want any.

Relax.

Your advice is welcome; it's just that this is a Marine thread - you are giving information that is applicable to the Navy. No harm, no foul.

bellebeast1

Hurry up and wait
the ettiquette book is for ALL OFFICERs IN ALL Branches. thats what is ettiquette for officers not navy in specific. THERE IS a sword for Marines and yes the drill thing is free but does it have all the things the GIRLS are supposed to do or what the invitations are supposed to say? Oh I'm sorry--a girl is right. sorry for giving suggestions--I didn't have my wedding like that or anything. so what would I know.

the marine sword is on this Web site.
http://www.militarysabers.com/marine-swords-officer.html