• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Youtubers

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
If you could do it again, what type of boat would you choose: CG, DDG, LPD, LCC, LHA/LHD, or LSD?

Depends. The only thing that would have made me stay a SWO was getting to do small boat stuff the rest of my career and eventually taking command of a PC. I loved the PC. It was a damn hard tour but was immensely rewarding and I got to make big boy decisions as a JG, which you don't always get to do as a SWO. If I could have stayed in the riverine, minesweep, and patrol boat Navy the rest of my career, I might just have remained a SWO.

But, that doesn't do you any good since you won't be able to go to a PC and minesweeps are no longer first tour ships. I hate big decks and big ships. I prefer a small unit type of environment and enjoyed the camaraderie and leadership required to make it work. As a brand new ensign, go to the ship that will get you qualified the fastest and has the best deployment schedule. Getting stuck in the yards will be a bad deal and having a shitty wardroom or no other ensigns can make getting qualified a bitch because your needs to get qualified will be forgotten about. So choose an typical ship like an DDG or LSD/LPD and learn as much as you can about the community and then make your choices from there about what interests you. Timing will play a big role and you may or may not have anything decent on your slate when you roll to your second DIVO tour and shore tour.

WorldWar33.3

Depends. The only thing that would have made me stay a SWO was getting to do small boat stuff the rest of my career and eventually taking command of a PC. I loved the PC. It was a damn hard tour but was immensely rewarding and I got to make big boy decisions as a JG, which you don't always get to do as a SWO. If I could have stayed in the riverine, minesweep, and patrol boat Navy the rest of my career, I might just have remained a SWO.

But, that doesn't do you any good since you won't be able to go to a PC and minesweeps are no longer first tour ships. I hate big decks and big ships. I prefer a small unit type of environment and enjoyed the camaraderie and leadership required to make it work. As a brand new ensign, go to the ship that will get you qualified the fastest and has the best deployment schedule. Getting stuck in the yards will be a bad deal and having a shitty wardroom or no other ensigns can make getting qualified a bitch because your needs to get qualified will be forgotten about. So choose an typical ship like an DDG or LSD/LPD and learn as much as you can about the community and then make your choices from there about what interests you. Timing will play a big role and you may or may not have anything decent on your slate when you roll to your second DIVO tour and shore tour.

I see that size matters and the smaller, the better. That's very good to know.

Although my first picks for the Navy are for aviation, I thank you for helping this new guy out (and keeping it civil) with your experiences in case plans fall through.
If there wasn't a SWO section I wouldn't have posted here.