• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Couple Signs For Department Head Together

hscs

pilot
Thank
Depends on the ship. DDGs and LSDs are CO/XO fleet-up jobs with two O-5s. LHDs, LHAs, LPDs, LCCs, and CGs are all O-6 COs with O-5 XOs (usually on their second or third look for CO Afloat). The Amphibs also oscillate with SWO and Aviator skippers, where every other CO is an aviator getting his deep-draft stamp before becoming a carrier XO.
CVN XO is first - then deep draft CO.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Depends on the ship. DDGs and LSDs are CO/XO fleet-up jobs with two O-5s. LHDs, LHAs, LPDs, LCCs, and CGs are all O-6 COs with O-5 XOs (usually on their second or third look for CO Afloat). The Amphibs also oscillate with SWO and Aviator skippers, where every other CO is an aviator getting his deep-draft stamp before becoming a carrier XO.
O5 XO on an LHD/A? Only time I saw that was when one O6 was fired and the PXO was still in training. Air Boss, as the next senior most URL, got to be XO for a few months. The rest of the time it was two O6s in the front office, one aviator and one SWO. The aviator isn't in the deep draft pipeline; the LHD your is their command tour.

This is different from LPDs where sometimes the CO is a 1310/20 in the deep draft command pipeline. That guy will then go on to command a CVN.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
This is accurate.

Who told you (or anyone else) to the contrary?
It's the difference between binary (FRS/WTI or FU) and a scale (FRS/WTI/TPS?, HT/VT, Sta SAR, non-flying, ROTC, etc.)

The official messaging has been "production" sells since I winged ('08)

Edit: PERS-43 quietly moved TPS down to the 2nd tier in their latest Helo brief.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
It's the difference between binary (FRS/WTI or FU) and a scale (FRS/WTI/TPS?, HT/VT, Sta SAR, non-flying, ROTC, etc.)

The official messaging has been "production" sells since I winged ('08)

Edit: PERS-43 quietly moved TPS down to the 2nd tier in their latest Helo brief.
And guess what all of HSC's WTIs and FRS instructors did as soon as they could? Bounced. Some of them are even nasty regional trash like me!

Which means......guys who were not on the path are suddenly on the path again and making DH.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thank
CVN XO is first - then deep draft CO.

Interesting. I knew the fleet-up didn't exist on CVNs but I was never sure what the timing looked like.

O5 XO on an LHD/A? Only time I saw that was when one O6 was fired and the PXO was still in training. Air Boss, as the next senior most URL, got to be XO for a few months. The rest of the time it was two O6s in the front office, one aviator and one SWO. The aviator isn't in the deep draft pipeline; the LHD your is their command tour.
This is different from LPDs where sometimes the CO is a 1310/20 in the deep draft command pipeline. That guy will then go on to command a CVN.

I was not aware the big deck amphibs were a fleet-up role. Having never been on one, I assumed they functioned like LPDs and CGs since they're major command for us.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was not aware the big deck amphibs were a fleet-up role. Having never been on one, I assumed they functioned like LPDs and CGs since they're major command for us.
They're also major commands for us. I'm getting hazy on the details now that I'm a nasty reservist, because we screen for O-5/O-6 command in a different board with a different process. But IIRC, you get selected for major command and they either slate you to the nuke power pipeline (which comes with deep-draft command), CVW command, command of a big deck amphib, type wing Commodore, or the other cats and dogs, with CVN command technically being a sequential major command.

Someone chime in if I'm out to lunch . . .

exNavyOffRec

Interesting. I knew the fleet-up didn't exist on CVNs but I was never sure what the timing looked like.

There is a about 2 years in between XO and CO, sometimes they don't get to CO though now it is rare however there have been a few that completed their deep draft commands and then for some reason never became CVN CO

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a about 2 years in between XO and CO, sometimes they don't get to CO though now it is rare however there have been a few that completed their deep draft commands and then for some reason never became CVN CO
I know a couple who retired after their deep draft tour. I know a couple others who didn't screen for CVN command after deep draft.

robav8r

None
Contributor
MPRA just selected a new Flag (1320) who’s major command was XO/CO of Makin Island.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
My submarine missed the cutoff on more than on occasion. While I have a couple, I should have a couple more for my salad bar.
I got only one deployment and corresponding Sea Service Ribbon on my first sea duty due to most of our ships being delayed in commissioning (CGs, FFGs and DDGs). I earned another SSR on my second Navy deployment. So, as an Army Aviator I have two SSRs. I guess that's why it seemed odd a SWO wouldn't have at least one, even as a LTjg. I learn something new everyday.

Interesting enough, I nearly got underway on an Army vessel during my last deployment. It had me wondering if I could get sea pay for it.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting enough, I nearly got underway on an Army vessel during my last deployment. It had me wondering if I could get sea pay for it.

Army boaters get sea pay! Sadly, as a nerd whirler I believe you might be considered a passenger meaning it is not paid to members while on board ships for transportation.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The 1310 XO/CO of BHR when I was onboard was selected for flag following his command tour.
Yeah, you reminded me also that the CO of BOXER during my TACRON XO ride was an HSL 1310 who made Flag as well . . .