• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Couple Signs For Department Head Together

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I think is laughable is how early SWOs screen for DH. Granted, yes their timeline will always be earlier than ours, but doing brand new JGs in their world is the equivalent of screening the newest level 300 aviators for DH.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
What I think is laughable is how early SWOs screen for DH. Granted, yes their timeline will always be earlier than ours, but doing brand new JGs in their world is the equivalent of screening the newest level 300 aviators for DH.

What happens when you have to deep draft to try to fix retention issues

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Considering that SWO departments are the size of squadron divisions it’s really not that surprising.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Considering that SWO departments are the size of squadron divisions it’s really not that surprising.
SWO DHs are also LTs, not LCDRs. Can't remember if XO is an O-4 or an O-5 fleet-up billet for them these days.

thump

pilot

We arguably do the same thing. The “nom process” for shore orders is basically the DH board in helo land.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
We arguably do the same thing. The “nom process” for shore orders is basically the DH board in helo land.
Turns out it's also the 1st step of the ACSB for HSM and maybe HSC. Rumor has it the board has been briefed 3 years running not to pick non-FRS/WTI types. WTF?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
SWO DHs are also LTs, not LCDRs. Can't remember if XO is an O-4 or an O-5 fleet-up billet for them these days.

Depends on the ship. DDGs and LSDs are CO/XO fleet-up jobs with two O-5s. LHDs, LHAs, LPDs, LCCs, and CGs are all O-6 COs with O-5 XOs (usually on their second or third look for CO Afloat). The Amphibs also oscillate with SWO and Aviator skippers, where every other CO is an aviator getting his deep-draft stamp before becoming a carrier XO.

azguy

None

This is hard to believe. If for no other reason that the size of a department varies drastically across the different classes of ship; as I'm sure it does for different types of squadrons.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
This is hard to believe. If for no other reason that the size of a department varies drastically across the different classes of ship; as I'm sure it does for different types of squadrons.
Also varies between Dept/div within a squadron, with some divisions bigger than some departments (I was Aircrew DIVO for 43 AWs, which was more people than Admin, Safety, & Training had combined). Maintenance is easily 80% or more of a typical squadron's Manning, especially if you're talking enlisted only.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Turns out it's also the 1st step of the ACSB for HSM and maybe HSC. Rumor has it the board has been briefed 3 years running not to pick non-FRS/WTI types. WTF?
Community briefs occur for all Admin boards, where your CDREs tell board members what their community values, and while I doubt that it would ever be stated as "don't pick non FRS/WTI folks," every community is going to brief FRS and WTI as things they value. There's nothing fucked up about it. They're preferred production tours, and it's how we maximize the value of first tour JOs to the NAE before those officers hit MSR. Completely standard and should raise zero eyebrows.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Community briefs occur for all Admin boards, where your CDREs tell board members what their community values, and while I doubt that it would ever be stated as "don't pick non FRS/WTI folks," every community is going to brief FRS and WTI as things they value. There's nothing fucked up about it. They're preferred production tours, and it's how we maximize the value of first tour JOs to the NAE before those officers hit MSR. Completely standard and should raise zero eyebrows.
That makes sense and is what I would expect. Rumor is the negative-style brief is what was provided, but that may well be bad gouge. I'm certainly not a conspiracy theory type or "OMGWTF is with this good ol' boys club" dude. There absolutely has to be a balance between human capital (ability to lead) and value actually provided (hard tours) when screening candidates. I just get the feeling no amount of sea tour performance can overcome going to the "wrong" shore tour, and hope that JOs get the same candid talks about shore picks that my Skippers gave me about my post-DH choice.