• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO BOARD 17AUG20

exNavyOffRec

My officer recruiter told me “each board is different and don’t compare this board with other boards”. What do you make of it?

When it comes to dates that is a somewhat valid statement, the time the board actually takes is a set time generally 1 day, what really varies is how long it takes to assign OCS dates, how long it takes for the list to be compiled and signed, and the biggest is when did the board actually start, those dates are essentially arbitrary, the board member could start the board on the date listed, or it could be days, or weeks later depending on leave and travel schedules. The most recent boards will give a good estimate, such as if one board takes 6 weeks to notify applicants it is reasonable to estimate that the next one will take 6 weeks, but should it go to 8 or maybe be only 5 just go with it.

exNavyOffRec

Can someone explain matching prorec y with OCS dates? At first I thought this meant they were placing candidates in seats before releasing results. But this isn't the case its seems the seats that are getting filled are from the May candidates and the most recent selects don't have dates yet which are the supply selects. someone please explain.

COVID messed up the grand plan, the thought was to assign an OCS date to every applicant when results were released, then COVID happened and screwed up everything, just be flexible. In the past OCS dates were determined by many factors, what is date available, who was already waiting, when is the follow on school, etc......

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon
Hi guys i need your help. My enlist ship date would be September 30th and currently this SWO board looks like gonna take forever. So today my officer recruiter called me and asked me to make a decision by September 14th. The problem is now in the navy there is NO enlist job till February 2021. And also I will lose a very big bonus if I change my ship date.

My officer recruiter said if I don’t cancel my enlist contract by September 14th, he would pull my officer package out (without my consent). My enlist recruiter told me the officer recruiter has no power to interfere with my enlist contract. But would he really be able to pull my officer package out ?

I have been trying for officer for about a year now and is currently in the Navy DEP program. Now it should be the final a few weeks but I am facing a disastrous outcome that if I cancel my enlist contract as my officer recruiter wants, and I don’t get selected in this board, I would lose the chance to join the navy as an enlist sailor and have to wait all the way till February 2021. Any suggestions would be welcome since I am under great pressure right now.

Chin

Hi guys i need your help. My enlist ship date would be September 30th and currently this SWO board looks like gonna take forever. So today my officer recruiter called me and asked me to make a decision by September 14th. The problem is now in the navy there is NO enlist job till February 2021. And also I will lose a very big bonus if I change my ship date.

My officer recruiter said if I don’t cancel my enlist contract by September 14th, he would pull my officer package out (without my consent). My enlist recruiter told me the officer recruiter has no power to interfere with my enlist contract. But would he really be able to pull my officer package out ?

I have been trying for officer for about a year now and is currently in the Navy DEP program. Now it should be the final a few weeks but I am facing a disastrous outcome that if I cancel my enlist contract as my officer recruiter wants, and I don’t get selected in this board, I would lose the chance to join the navy as an enlist sailor and have to wait all the way till February 2021. Any suggestions would be welcome since I am under great pressure right now.
Feburary 2021 isnt that far. You can wait six month. Losing that bonus is nothing. If you get selected for SWO over your career time you probably will jabe better job satisfication over enlisted career path. WAIT for SWO result

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon
My bonus is over +$20k for AECF...

Also, is it true that an officer recruiter has the power to withdraw my officer package even without my own consent or signature ?

exNavyOffRec

First what your enlisted recruiter is doing is bullshit, you never should have been given a ship date that was before the SWO results would normally come out. The enlisted recruiter himself can't pull the application but he could go through the CR, now your application is already at board, and you could have already been selected, so what realistically would happen is they would have you write a statement saying to remove yourself from consideration for SWO, this means that if you were selected they would send that letter in and in effect you would be declining the officer position, that would be like shooting yourself in the foot for any future applications as you would been seen as previously declining to be an officer.

The reason they are probably putting huge pressure on you is that the end of the FY for enlisted recruiting is Sept 30th, and if you wait until the end of the Sept and don't ship they can't replace you, if you decline by 9/14 they can "roll-in" someone to take your spot. That enlisted recruiter is only thinking of himself and not you, if he was he would be trying to find a way to help you out.

Now I have a poor opinion of your enlisted recruiter and if you really wanted to screw with them what you could do is when you go to do your inspect physical before they put you on the plane tell the doc you have been having stomach pain, vomiting, and headache. I am pretty sure you would get a temp med dq and that would mess with their goaling.

In reality you should decline enlisted and wait for officer results, if you want to be an officer wait for results, otherwise you are putting off your plans to be an officer by a few years.

SeaWarrior

My bonus is over +$20k for AECF...

Also, is it true that an officer recruiter has the power to withdraw my officer package even without my own consent or signature ?

I'd stick with the officer route if it was me and I had a decent package. But do what you feel is best for you, of course.

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon
First what your enlisted recruiter is doing is bullshit, you never should have been given a ship date that was before the SWO results would normally come out. The enlisted recruiter himself can't pull the application but he could go through the CR, now your application is already at board, and you could have already been selected, so what realistically would happen is they would have you write a statement saying to remove yourself from consideration for SWO, this means that if you were selected they would send that letter in and in effect you would be declining the officer position, that would be like shooting yourself in the foot for any future applications as you would been seen as previously declining to be an officer.

The reason they are probably putting huge pressure on you is that the end of the FY for enlisted recruiting is Sept 30th, and if you wait until the end of the Sept and don't ship they can't replace you, if you decline by 9/14 they can "roll-in" someone to take your spot. That enlisted recruiter is only thinking of himself and not you, if he was he would be trying to find a way to help you out.

Now I have a poor opinion of your enlisted recruiter and if you really wanted to screw with them what you could do is when you go to do your inspect physical before they put you on the plane tell the doc you have been having stomach pain, vomiting, and headache. I am pretty sure you would get a temp med dq and that would mess with their goaling.

In reality you should decline enlisted and wait for officer results, if you want to be an officer wait for results, otherwise you are putting off your plans to be an officer by a few years.

thank you for the input. So both the officer recruiter and enlist recruiter have no power to pull out my applications or contract unless I sign on it? I mean legally speaking, would they be able to do that against my wish ?

exNavyOffRec

thank you for the input. So both the officer recruiter and enlist recruiter have no power to pull out my applications or contract unless I sign on it? I mean legally speaking, would they be able to do that against my wish ?

They need something from you, now the CR could call and say you shipped to boot camp and that could be interpreted and a decline.

The bottom line is if you want to be an officer then wait until results are back.

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon
Understood. I won’t give anything to enlisted recruiter. And will stand my ground. Thank you all for the very valuable input!

Chin

Understood. I won’t give anything to enlisted recruiter. And will stand my ground. Thank you all for the very valuable input!
Do not sign anything for enlistment! You are already eligible to have a chance for the officer community. Dont fall for the"enlist first then commission" Its a set back. Despite GPA and OAR, enlisted Sailors will have other deciding factors added on when they are considered by the board. i.e. Evaluation, Appraisals by Officer in that community, and you will need network to find some. Which that network referral doesnt come without hard work and some brown nosing ( I am speaking in a humor way as a Sailor). And all of those few factors that I listed takes TIME. Not to say you have deployments, Sea time, and other obligations that might not line up right and then more wait time....A whole lot of unknown down that path. At least you will have more control of your life and decisions as civilian. Us prior can validate our experiences and thus not all enlisted agree with my thoughts. I am going to leave it here and you decide.

exNavyOffRec

Just tell him you are going to wait for OCS results, you have a tech degree with a good GPA and a masters as well, you are not like the 18 year old kid who is looking at either going in the USN or working at McDonalds.

You worked hard for your degree and you should be able to utilize that effort.

Did you have any waivers or anything negative in your application, we should have asked that

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon
Just tell him you are going to wait for OCS results, you have a tech degree with a good GPA and a masters as well, you are not like the 18 year old kid who is looking at either going in the USN or working at McDonalds.

Did you have any waivers or anything negative in your application, we should have asked that

No waiver whatsoever... but this is my second time applying...

As long as the board did meet, I am good. But my recruiter said the status is still “in session” as of Friday. Strange isn’t it?

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon

Also my bachelor degree is in economics (Not tech degree) but with enough quantitative elements. And then I did a M.Sc in computer science... also my master degree is not from the U.S, I did it in London England ... and then did a credits conversion to translate it to U.S style gpa ... Might complicate things but my recruiter said it’s fine