• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 12APR21

jmj689

wow does this mean the Navy finally has enough applicants for SWO now so they can be more selective?

I am wondering how competitive it is only because my recruiter doesn't seem worried about getting selected. I'm always asking him if I should continue to study in case I have to retake the OAR, what should be my course of action if I don't get selected, etc but he says just keep a positive attitude and we'll worry about that if it comes to that. But if I read this forum, it seems really competitive and very difficult to get accepted. I'm the type that likes to be prepared, waiting for the results without preparing doesn't seem like a smart way to use this time. I'm just wondering if I'm getting a false sense of security from my recruiter. Anyways, still preparing physically, saving my money, and reading up on books that I've always wanted to read until the results come out.

eahmed4

I am wondering how competitive it is only because my recruiter doesn't seem worried about getting selected. I'm always asking him if I should continue to study in case I have to retake the OAR, what should be my course of action if I don't get selected, etc but he says just keep a positive attitude and we'll worry about that if it comes to that. But if I read this forum, it seems really competitive and very difficult to get accepted. I'm the type that likes to be prepared, waiting for the results without preparing doesn't seem like a smart way to use this time. I'm just wondering if I'm getting a false sense of security from my recruiter. Anyways, still preparing physically, saving my money, and reading up on books that I've always wanted to read until the results come out.
OAR is just a ticket to the board as exNavyOffRec says. GPA and Degree will be what gets you picked up

exNavyOffRec

In most cases I would tell you that all recruiters will say what yours said because most don't have the ability to be straight with applicants as the enlisted recruiter mentality is to only be positive and say things like "that is a great score" "you have a excellent chance".

I looked at your stats and they are good, I feel you do have a decent shot as long as they don't ding you for your age since the PA just changed but they should just go off of the PA you applied.

jmj689

In most cases I would tell you that all recruiters will say what yours said because most don't have the ability to be straight with applicants as the enlisted recruiter mentality is to only be positive and say things like "that is a great score" "you have a excellent chance".

I looked at your stats and they are good, I feel you do have a decent shot as long as they don't ding you for your age since the PA just changed but they should just go off of the PA you applied.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does PA stand for? Thanks for your insight though, I appreciate it.

jmj689

Program Authorization, it list the requirements that a person must have in order to apply.

Ah I see, so they changed the age requirement for non priors recently? Yea my recruiter really wanted to avoid applying for age waiver, luckily it got approved, so one down, but obviously, the main one we want approved is the board.

exNavyOffRec

Ah I see, so they changed the age requirement for non priors recently? Yea my recruiter really wanted to avoid applying for age waiver, luckily it got approved, so one down, but obviously, the main one we want approved is the board.
They changed the upper age limit for everyone, it is back to commissioned by age 29 with max age with waiver commissioned by age 32 and that means in OCS before a person hits 31 years and 3 months.

A waiver to go to board means you will be able to have your application reviewed by the board, it doesn't mean the board will accept the waiver.

jmj689

They changed the upper age limit for everyone, it is back to commissioned by age 29 with max age with waiver commissioned by age 32 and that means in OCS before a person hits 31 years and 3 months.

A waiver to go to board means you will be able to have your application reviewed by the board, it doesn't mean the board will accept the waiver.
Right, that's the main one I need approved ?
And damn! I'm over that age so like you said hopefully they don't hold that against me.

So I actually hit 10 years active service this month, April. Submitted my packet back in January, but was waiting on the age waiver approval bc it went to the board i guess. Finally got approved in March so my packet made it to the board in April this time. I am 33 and will be 34 November. Does anyone here with knowledge on this type of situation think I would be accepted with the old PA or would they reject me due to the new one?

subreservist

So I actually hit 10 years active service this month, April. Submitted my packet back in January, but was waiting on the age waiver approval bc it went to the board i guess. Finally got approved in March so my packet made it to the board in April this time. I am 33 and will be 34 November. Does anyone here with knowledge on this type of situation think I would be accepted with the old PA or would they reject me due to the new one?

You should be reviewed based on the PA in effect when you submitted. Honestly, it's not worth putting any thought into this - just let it play out and await the results. Stay positive!

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
What’s up, buddy?
I’m 33, turn 34 next March. Was accepted in March SWO board when I was 32. My OR got me an age waiver and said that even with the PA change, I’m all good.
If you have the waiver, you should be good, too.

exNavyOffRec

They should honor the old PA and still honor the waiver to get you to the board, what isn't known is if the board will be influenced by the new PA, remember the age waiver is just to get you seen, the board can decide to honor or not honor a waiver.