• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

Siej

I'm a little skeptical about receiving an OCS date without knowing if you were Pro Rec-Y by the board. Out of 310 applicants, only 1 have an OCS date?

Mel345

There are articles and news stories on the lack of qualified applicants going into LE, the town where you are at might hard to get into LE, however there are many more that are dying for good candidates, there are even places that are having people start patrolling without finishing the academy, they are getting waivers so they can go on patrol and do the academy later, to me that is a bit nuts.
I definitely would not try again in California, I'll take a look at that. Thank you for the help though its appreciated and more importantly constructive

Jbyrne89

There are articles and news stories on the lack of qualified applicants going into LE, the town where you are at might hard to get into LE, however there are many more that are dying for good candidates, there are even places that are having people start patrolling without finishing the academy, they are getting waivers so they can go on patrol and do the academy later, to me that is a bit nuts.

THATS INSANE. Wow

You can either learn through others or find out for yourself.

“Muster all E-4 and below for trash off-load” (Passing putrid, dripping garbage bags from the trash room to the dumpster pierside)
“Muster the working party for stores on-load” (Passing box after box of goods from the supply ship to the freezer for up to four hours, much of which will wind up rotting due to mismanagement of supply and be passed back to the dumpster at the next port)
…………………..

Everyone's entitled to take whichever paths in life that they desire. It sounds like she knows what she wants and where she wants to be. It also sounds like she appreciates everyone's input, but that doesn't mean she has to immediately change your thought process bc people on AW says so.

Keep Calm, Results are on the way ?

sldm992

I definitely would not try again in California, I'll take a look at that. Thank you for the help though its appreciated and more importantly constructive
You can look up my stats through searching if you’re curious but I was fairly successful in reaching out to LE in Cali in particular larger agencies (like really big city, county, and CHP). If you make the initiative and have the background, you can nail a job there as a civ or as a uniformed officer. I used to work as a civ in a local agency in Arizona that participated in various state and county task forces to which I had the opportunity of working on as well through my agency. If you really just want LE and you only see military as a means to that end, then understand that you can go straight into LE right now if you really wanted to. There are soooooo many agencies that do roughly the same thing nationwide so your chances are very good if you try hard enough. As long as you have a bachelors degree, you ca rank up relatively quick as a uniformed officer and make detective, then Sgt, etc.

Jbyrne89

Only 1 who is active on air warriors. Not everyone who applied is active on this forum

I’m actually really confused about this whole thing. Bunch of people heard they had OCS dates in SNA/NFO and then today someones recruiter texted him “we just found out that having an OCS date doesn’t mean you’re prorec-y”

I’m at a loss for why someone who wasn’t prorec y would be placed in an OCS class?

really in the weeds over here haha ?

Mel345

You can look up my stats through searching if you’re curious but I was fairly successful in reaching out to LE in Cali in particular larger agencies (like really big city, county, and CHP). If you make the initiative and have the background, you can nail a job there as a civ or as a uniformed officer. I used to work as a civ in a local agency in Arizona that participated in various state and county task forces to which I had the opportunity of working on as well through my agency. If you really just want LE and you only see military as a means to that end, then understand that you can go straight into LE right now if you really wanted to. There are soooooo many agencies that do roughly the same thing nationwide so your chances are very good if you try hard enough. As long as you have a bachelors degree, you ca rank up relatively quick as a uniformed officer and make detective, then Sgt, etc.
I applied to a couple agencies, Hayward and san Jose. San jose is a huge department but I didnt have my degree when I applied. The way I saw it was the agencies will be there in a few years, the navy was something I would have to do before especially since I wanted to do active

Siej

I’m actually really confused about this whole thing. Bunch of people heard they had OCS dates in SNA/NFO and then today someones recruiter texted him “we just found out that having an OCS date doesn’t mean you’re prorec-y”

I’m at a loss for why someone who wasn’t prorec y would be placed in an OCS class?

really in the weeds over here haha ?

I don't care what anyone says, you will not be placed in an OCS class if you have not been professionally recommended. It makes zero sense to place a person in a class who did not get selected or still waiting on board results. Either the recruiter has some insight from someone at Millington or it's a lie.

prttyphoenix

Im currently helping an RS1 with his officer package. When he enlisted 8 years ago he tried the dual thing too but his recruiter only cared about getting an enlisted quota fulfilled, and didn't put much effort towards his officer package. Long story short...he didn't get selected and joined as enlisted. Guy has two master degrees and currently hating his life, but hopefully he gets selected.
The issue with enlisted is a lot of them aren't aware of the officer opporunities available or they don't start applying right away. There isn't anything in writing which say a Sailor has to have a minimum time in to apply for OCS if they already have a degree. Some of them start the process later in their career. Speaking from experience I could have applied six years ago but kept putting it off thinking I needed to do something else or wanting a different program. But I have known Sailors that come in and know exaclty what they want as an Officer, have gotten after it and commissioned before 6 years of service or less. I think it is all about personal ambition and goals. No one situation will be the same and we all operate differently. Just my opinion. Not discounting what anyone is saying but we all have our own experiences and shouldn't project those on others.

Mel345

The issue with enlisted is a lot of them aren't aware of the officer opporunities available or they don't start applying right away. There isn't anything in writing which say a Sailor has to have a minimum time in to apply for OCS if they already have a degree. Some of them start the process later in their career. Speaking from experience I could have applied six years ago but kept putting it off thinking I needed to do something else or wanting a different program. But I have known Sailors that come in and know exaclty what they want as an Officer, have gotten after it and commissioned before 6 years of service or less. I think it is all about personal ambition and goals. No one situation will be the same and we all operate differently. Just my opinion. Not discounting what anyone is saying but we all have our own experiences and shouldn't project those on others.
Everyone has their own path to get where their going. I respect everyone's own experiences and opinions.

On another note. Is tomorrow the day???