• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
"How can you accomplish those goals without looking in-house first at the loyal personnel with whom already have buy-in? Or maybe it’s just numbers where we just need a body and filled it with a body, doesn’t have to be the right body just a body that is young enough to do 30 per instruction."

@nia.maye I can definitely resonate with all of this. If only BIG Navy's perception aligned with this ideation.

exNavyOffRec

We wanted to look at the demographics on retention to make sure when debating an issue we have the statistics to back up our claims otherwise we are just speaking out of term, I mentioned prior service because once they switch they have to do 10 years to retire as an O, where a non prior is only obligated to do 4 active 4 IRR, the prior isn’t likely to do just 4 and leave because they have invested in their career time and desire to do more for the organization (there are other reasons which are negative and I won’t mention but you know what I’m not saying if you been around) otherwise they would have left at 4 right out of bootcamp, which many do as we know
The attrition rates of when you look at personnel who completed 20-30+ years is very low and if you are obligated to fill Manning in certain communities with less priors and more civilians the numbers go down even more. How can we know who will complete a 20-30 year contract once they join and it seems a bit unrealistic to expect a non prior to even know if they want to so early, sure they can have the intent, however the Navy must satisfy personal and professional goals first in order to do so, as it’s counterproductive to complete 20+ years if you are miserable. The Navy provides a unique dynamic where you deploy, PCS to new locations, and are constantly on the move at a moments notice, not to mention let’s factor in learning our culture, developing military bearing, learning how to co exist around diverse personalities and behavior, dealing with conflict, and how to perform under pressure just to name a few. The member who is prior has already accomplished half the battle. We also are supposed to “retain talent”, we are supposed to develop a “culture of excellence”, etc. How can you accomplish those goals without looking in-house first at the loyal personnel with whom already have buy-in? Or maybe it’s just numbers where we just need a body and filled it with a body, doesn’t have to be the right body just a body that is young enough to do 30 per instruction.

It is indeed less likely for a person that served 4 enlisted, left, finished college, and then comes back to leave after completing 4 years as an officer, every prior I put back in as an officer had the intentions of completing 20.

It will also vary by designator, some designators if they commission late enough will not want to put in the extra time to have a chance at Command (see below).

When reading your post I remembered another officer I worked with, he served 6-8 years enlisted, commissioned and is now retired, he retired at 20, something like 8 years ago when we talked about priors getting commissioned he said he had no intentions of staying past 20 as he said it would take him too long to make CDR and command a ship.

n0rthstar

I don't anticipate hearing anything tomorrow given that, as of I believe Thursday or Friday, we were still waiting on a signature.

If we hear next week, I anticipate it being mid-to-late week.

1812TC

I don't anticipate hearing anything tomorrow given that, as of I believe Thursday or Friday, we were still waiting on a signature.

If we hear next week, I anticipate it being mid-to-late week.
I agree, my sights are set on Friday. Any day this week would be awesome and the sooner the better.