• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanut3479

pilot
Definitely get goggles for the mile swim - your eyes will thank you later. Actually, you can wear goggles on all non-test swim events (laps) in addition to the mile - in case you need to break in a new pair.

My API class was told the record for the mile was actually held by a female who had been a collegiate swimmer - something like 23 mins.

sc_hokie

Mudhen WSO
peanut3479 said:
Definitely get goggles for the mile swim

Good call. I thought I was hardcore and went without. My eyes burned for about 2 days afterwards. You won't really need them for any of the other events though. The mile swim is about the only one where you're in the water long enough for it to matter.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Yeah, the instructors at the pool told me you could wear goggles for everything but the initial swim screen, and you have to keep your eyes open the entire time or it's an immediate failure. Screw that...for everything but the prone float at the swim screen I kep my eyes open. My eyes, however, hate chlorine, so they were burning for the rest of the day. You can pretty much guarantee I'll have my goggles on me for the rest of the swimming events. Will I look like a dork? Yep. Will my eyes be burning for the rest of the day after a swim? Not nearly as bad as they would without goggles.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I don't know if using Marines as a fashion gauge is such a good idea. I saw some Marines playing basketball this morning while I was working out. It was like watching Hoosiers...bunch of lanky white guys in tight t-shirts tucked into tight, short-shorts. Leave it up to the Corps to find an article of clothing that makes dolphin shorts look conservative.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Road Program said:
I don't know if using Marines as a fashion gauge is such a good idea. I saw some Marines playing basketball this morning while I was working out. It was like watching Hoosiers...bunch of lanky white guys in tight t-shirts tucked into tight, short-shorts. Leave it up to the Corps to find an article of clothing that makes dolphin shorts look conservative.

Excellent point, sorry.

peanut3479

pilot
Just remember that wearing goggles is about finishing the swim without torturing your eyes, not looking good. Those short-shorts (we call them "silkies" by the way) happen to be damn comfortable to wear, which is why we don't care what they look like. If you care more about how you look than how well your apparel/equipment works, then you belong in another service besides the Marine Corps. IMHO that is.

Sorry for the threadjack.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
peanut3479 said:
Just remember that wearing goggles is about finishing the swim without torturing your eyes, not looking good. Those short-shorts (we call them "silkies" by the way) happen to be damn comfortable to wear, which is why we don't care what they look like. If you care more about how you look than how well your apparel/equipment works, then you belong in another service besides the Marine Corps. IMHO that is.

Sorry for the threadjack.

I don't care how you want to try to justify it, those shorts are gay. IMHO.

Reactions: bch

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
no inflation on the mile swim. we did in back in '98 with just flight suits. i cant remember if we had boots or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.