• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFgirl

Bevo said:
I It didn't help anything that my experience in water was pretty much limited to tubing down the Guadalupe river in college.

Well if you were drinking a lot of LoneStar at the time that might help with your bouyancy...

WannaBEaP3gal

Swim practice for Saturday: Go to Jax beach, get caught in swells from hurricane, and try to swim out of them... j/k

Bevo16

pilot
Squanto2 said:
Is any of the swim stuff timed and graded, or just pass/fail? Does it affect api grades?

No. The only things that have a time involved are events like treading water in full gear, and the mile swim. There is either a max time that you have to do it for or a minimum time that the event has to be completed in. None of the swim events or PRT count toward API grades. API grades don't count for anything once you leave API anyway, just pass everything and don't get a pink sheet.

Bevo16

pilot
Sabre170 said:
How long do you have to tread water in full gear?

I don't remember, but it seemed like forever. I managed to pass on my first try, but I puked and passed out as soon as I got out of the pool. I have never been all that good in the water, and I did not have a good body for it (205 pounds and about 5% body fat). I want to say that the time for treading water is 2 minutes, but that may not be right. I am sure that someone will correct me if that is wrong.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Squanto2 said:
No sweat: stuff your pants with arm floaties. :D

Haha, I was actually watching this thing on Disc. Times channel last night about Marine boot camp. They did a swim test and some dude tried to stuff one of the lifeguard buoys in his BDU! The DI walked up to him and just stared at his abnormally bulging chest and then ripped it out from him, making this guy do about a billion pushups for trying it. :D

I thought it was funny as crap because of all things to stuff in your clothes, he picked the biggest, most conspicuous floatation device in the whole complex. Apparently water must really scare some people into stupidity!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I remember hearing a story like that from API where a guy tried to use floats or something in his flightsuit or in the pockets. He was found out and kicked out due to unofficer like qualities.

jacksonwt2g

harsh, but probably a good call. I can't believe how many people in the navy can't swim. When I went to bootcamp, they allowed half of us to have life jackets for the swim survival portion and when they asked who couldn't swim and needed one, about 3/4 of my division raised their hands. I am all for helping out my shipmates, but I never swam so fast in my life getting away from that death trap. 50 grown men flailing about in the pool in unison looking for something buoyant to latch onto. I sure as hell wasn't going to let it be me.

Sabre170

None
Again, how long do we need to tread water? One person thinks it was two minutes... (No offence) but is that all, or is it really hard to treat in full gear?

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Sabre170 said:
Again, how long do we need to tread water? One person thinks it was two minutes... (No offence) but is that all, or is it really hard to treat in full gear?

It's two minutes. Don't sweat the swim stuff at all. It's a welcome break from class/studying/testing. If you have a problem, the guys at the pool will fix it. No sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.