• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surfing

Midshipmanjosh

I know TBS is intense and all that stuff. But i was wondering if anyone else was bringing their surfboard to TBS for Alpha or Bravo Co?

Navyfan06

pilot
So where would you go surfing, VA Beach (which is like 3 or more hours away)???? I'm confused too!

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
A few of us (Fox Co) brought boards up to Quantico... As mentioned above, you've got VA Beach, as well as some places up in NJ and Maryland. Its not great, but the few weekends we went out was worth it. And yes, you will get ridiculed...

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I'll admit I know nothing about surfing, but even when I lived in VA Beach I knew very few people who surfed. Most I talked to said it is really not worth it on the east coast.

Back to your question about Alpha Co though.....You will have a cold/crappy winter in typical Quantico fashion until April/May when you will start having some pretty nice, warm days. By this time your company will be pretty far along in the course, and you will likely have very lengthy combat orders to do during the weekend, prep to do for the FEX you will be going on the next week, building a terrain model on Sunday afternoon, or some type of annoying homework or task that will screw up your weekend. Therefore, I recommend you leave the board at home and just consume large quantities of alcohol on the weekends like everyone else.

Cheers,
Paul

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I'll admit I know nothing about surfing, but even when I lived in VA Beach I knew very few people who surfed. Most I talked to said it is really not worth it on the east coast.

Back to your question about Alpha Co though.....You will have a cold/crappy winter in typical Quantico fashion until April/May when you will start having some pretty nice, warm days. By this time your company will be pretty far along in the course, and you will likely have very lengthy combat orders to do during the weekend, prep to do for the FEX you will be going on the next week, building a terrain model on Sunday afternoon, or some type of annoying homework or task that will screw up your weekend. Therefore, I recommend you leave the board at home and just consume large quantities of alcohol on the weekends like everyone else.

Cheers,
Paul

There is plenty of good surf on the East coast, especially during the winter months. VA Beach has MANY surfers. Cold weather, yes... countered by a wetsuit and some serious coffee. You rarely have lengthy combat orders on the weekends, and FEXs are spaced far enough apart to give you plenty of non-prep weekends. Bring the board... AND go out drinking on the weekends. Best of both worlds.:icon_wink

Cordespc

None
Contributor
You rarely have lengthy combat orders on the weekends, and FEXs are spaced far enough apart to give you plenty of non-prep weekends. Bring the board... AND go out drinking on the weekends. Best of both worlds.:icon_wink

Wow, I am sure that all depends on the company and SPC, but for the second half of the POI we had something to do almost every damned weekend.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know TBS is intense and all that stuff. But i was wondering if anyone else was bringing their surfboard to TBS for Alpha or Bravo Co?

pulpfictionjulesvincentsantacruz.jpg

Midshipmanjosh

hahaha....wow...such varied responses...And as far as surf goes, anything is better than the Gulf of Mexico which is where i currently surf. For those of ya'll who brought your boards, did you just store them in your car or could you actually put them in your room?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Had them in our rooms or at the houses of off-base friends. Unless you're talking longboards, there is plenty of storage space in which to stash a board (under the bed, closet, etc).

USMC_NA

i was in bravo and i brought the snowboard, VA beach surf sucks, the best near is outer banks and that's like 5 hours away

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
VA Beach has its days... while its not California, its better than many of the alternatives. That, my friends, is the beauty of the surf report/forecast. For me, the few times (5-6) I went surfing during TBS were worth having the board close by.

Enid must be rough, balls... we had a decent (relative) swell last weekend, and some rideable windswell the latter half of this week. Not exactly photo-worthy, but better than nothing.