• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupidest thing you've heard . . .

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, so . . . I'm at Panama City today, and overhear a guy heading out to his citation talking to the lady behind the desk. "I'm going to give it another try, I think it was fuel freezing in the fuel lines, and that's why the engine flamed out." My jaw dropped, as he and some lady climbed aboard, started it up and took off . . .

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I worked line service at an airport in college, a buddy of mine and I ended up refueling some dude's mooney......he had made a pretty rough landing and we heard a big screech at one point. When I walked by the prop I noticed that there was a big chunk missing from the tip of one of the blades and the others were somewhat bent. I tried to politely mention it to him, but the guy seemed pretty confident that it wasn't an issue. He departed about an hour later and I have no idea what ended up happening, though I didn't hear any reports of an accident so maybe he was right :) Still struck me as kind of stupid

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
By proxy is has to be "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college".

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I once heard of someone suggesting the E-2C was a sub-detection platform that went inverted, dipped the dish in the water and used it as a SONAR. Seriously.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was at an airshow standing in front of the COD with the wings folded and a lady walked up, starring at the aircraft. She then turned to me and asked "how does it fly like that?" Terribly was my response.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Airshows are the greatest for hearing ridiculous assumptions.

"I heard that when a helicopter has to land in the water the pilots will "flip" it over to stop the blades".

MAD= Microwave Attack Device

While giving a tour during an airshow onboard a P-3- "Does this plane still fly?"

"How can you catch those nuclear submarines, don't they go really fast?"

FastMover

NFO
None
I had a guy try to tell me that the P-3 searches for submarines by trolling the MAD boom along in the water.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I was at an airshow standing in front of the COD with the wings folded and a lady walked up, starring at the aircraft. She then turned to me and asked "how does it fly like that?" Terribly was my response.

While I was in Japan, we took the COD to an airshow at MCAS Iwakuni. The majority of the Japanese folks thought the plane was broken.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Okay, so . . . I'm at Panama City today . . .
The fuel was freezing??? I've been to Panama before ... but never encountered any freezing fuel, however ... some of the hookers SHOULD have been frozen ... I could'a used a little bit more ice in my drinks ... but oh, well ... :):sleep_125

But to your original thought:

Stupidest thing you've heard . . .
Yea-ass ... stupidest thing I've heard/encountered: STUDs, NFO's S/O's, F/O's (i.e., juniors) who thought they 'knew' more than I did ... :D (< the new 'big' grin)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I once heard of someone suggesting the E-2C was a sub-detection platform that went inverted, dipped the dish in the water and used it as a SONAR. Seriously.

That one's been around for a really long time...

I over heard a few people claiming the pods on the EA-6B were booster motors... (at an airshow....)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I can't tell you how many experts informed their peers at an airshow that the pitot tube on our T-45 was a gun.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That one's been around for a really long time...

I over heard a few people claiming the pods on the EA-6B were booster motors... (at an airshow....)

Lots of this stuff is airshow disinformation told by the static display "minders" to the throngs of airshow know-nothings. Pod RAT as aux thrust for takeoff (or as propellers during impromptu ASW), IFR probe as a directed energy weapon. I've told all those tall tales and more - usually sporting a flight suit nametag that reads "Oliver Klozoff" or the ubiquitous "Heywood Jablome." "It's pronounced Yahh-blom, madam." :D

Brett

Raptor2216

I can't tell you how many experts informed their peers at an airshow that the pitot tube on our T-45 was a gun.

Actually, that's not a gun. Its the "jesus screw" and if its removed, the entire jet will come apart from nose to tail in 3 sections...how do you you not know this?