• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

swopeful

haze gray is my favorite color.
I see that the ocs.navy.mil website lists running shoes on the packing list but also noticed that in many of the photographs, including those included in the gouge booklet from the recruiter, everyone is wearing the same shoes. Are those generic looking new balances seen in photos issued at OCS, and are those the ones used for inspections while runs will be done in the shoes brought?

Outdoorsman

I see that the ocs.navy.mil website lists running shoes on the packing list but also noticed that in many of the photographs, including those included in the gouge booklet from the recruiter, everyone is wearing the same shoes. Are those generic looking new balances seen in photos issued at OCS, and are those the ones used for inspections while runs will be done in the shoes brought?

You will not be issued running shoes unless there's a special medical reason for it. So if you want two pairs of sneakers you will have to bring two pairs.

It may have been different at some point. The Navy OCS website tends to not get updated, and last I checked still had even the wrong address to receive mail listed.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor

If you have Facebook, I'd really recommend following the Officer Training Command Newport Facebook page. They post the current OCS classes as they go through and you can see the variety of different sneakers and such everyone wears (and for females, the different hair buns and cuts). Gives you a better feel for what it's like now I think.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
When I went through in 2010, ages ranged from 21 to mid 30's with most guys in mid 20's, but it all depends on the group of people in your class.

swopeful

haze gray is my favorite color.
I've seen various comments on settling your uniform bill. At what point do you actually pay for your uniforms? Is it offset by an allowance, and you pay the remaining balance?

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Iwiseen various comments on settling your uniform bill. At what point do you actually pay for your uniforms? Is it offset by an allowance, and you pay the remaining balance?
You'll settle your account in week 11, up until week 10, you can just charge everything you buy at the uniform shop to your personal account. The allowance is included in your first paycheck, so you'll pay the full balance at the end.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I've seen various comments on settling your uniform bill. At what point do you actually pay for your uniforms? Is it offset by an allowance, and you pay the remaining balance?
Somewhat offset by your allowance. If you go for the Brooks Brothers SDB's and so on, you'll have to pay the difference. As someone who did that, I don't recommend that, because most people are in the best shape they've ever been when they get them tailored, and at least for me, I've never even come close to getting back down to my OCS weight. Plus you rarely wear them, and there's not a huge amount of difference in quality.

Long story short, go cheap, and don't expect them to fit the first time you wear them after OCS.

Sonog

pilot
Somewhat offset by your allowance. If you go for the Brooks Brothers SDB's and so on, you'll have to pay the difference. As someone who did that, I don't recommend that, because most people are in the best shape they've ever been when they get them tailored, and at least for me, I've never even come close to getting back down to my OCS weight. Plus you rarely wear them, and there's not a huge amount of difference in quality.

Long story short, go cheap, and don't expect them to fit the first time you wear them after OCS.

Yea sure, just give up on fitness altogether post OCS. Fuck it, don't even wear pants on weekends. Pull up to dunkin donuts drive-through and order some donuts, "yea 12! what the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

Just giving you a hard time. 4 years post OCS and its a bit of a struggle to get that waist clasp on my whites to clasp.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Average age in my class was 24.

I've said this before dozens of pages back but I'll put it in again since the uniform bill came up:

When settling your uniform bill, see if the NEX Star Card has a promotion going on. When I was there it was something like 20-30% off of your first purchase. My first purchase with the card was my uniform bill, which saved me hundreds of dollars.

Outdoorsman

Stupid question... I hate seafood with a passion. Would it be hard to avoid seafood for the 3 months at OCS?

They have some form of chicken for almost every meal and will always have a main course that isn't fish. Even if it's a shitty egg sponge thing. But honestly the food isn't that bad. Better than fleet food.

Put peanut butter on your waffles and hot sauce on pretty much everything.

Jaxon S. Fitch

Important question for an 08-21-16 candidate.

I've been told by my recruiter that completely white briefs and crew socks were absolutely required. That there is no wiggle room for any color anywhere on either article of clothing. But, I've also read that if logos, colors, or what have you, are concealed, then you can have any kind of sock you like. Furthermore, I've read that you are required to have tall socks, ankle socks, mid height... and seen pictures from OTC that people are wearing many different kinds.

Let me boil this all down, what height socks do I actually need and are white boxer briefs allowed, or do they all have to be pure white, tighty whities?

Outdoorsman

Important question for an 08-21-16 candidate.

I've been told by my recruiter that completely white briefs and crew socks were absolutely required. That there is no wiggle room for any color anywhere on either article of clothing. But, I've also read that if logos, colors, or what have you, are concealed, then you can have any kind of sock you like. Furthermore, I've read that you are required to have tall socks, ankle socks, mid height... and seen pictures from OTC that people are wearing many different kinds.

Let me boil this all down, what height socks do I actually need and are white boxer briefs allowed, or do they all have to be pure white, tighty whities?

Nobody cares what underwear you wear with your PT gear, NWUs, khakis or blues. You'll want white underwear for your whites.

They will probably care about the socks however. They definitely need to be tall socks but if they can't see the logo when you're wearing shoes you'll be fine.