• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Important question for an 08-21-16 candidate.

I've been told by my recruiter that completely white briefs and crew socks were absolutely required. That there is no wiggle room for any color anywhere on either article of clothing. But, I've also read that if logos, colors, or what have you, are concealed, then you can have any kind of sock you like. Furthermore, I've read that you are required to have tall socks, ankle socks, mid height... and seen pictures from OTC that people are wearing many different kinds.

Let me boil this all down, what height socks do I actually need and are white boxer briefs allowed, or do they all have to be pure white, tighty whities?

Just commissioned. If anyone sees your underwear, they're wrong. Literally per our class team, they had zero interest in our underwear. Black and Navy blue compressions are authorized with pt gear. Please for your sake wear white underwear with your summer and dress whites. Other than that, you literally can't see them in any other uniform. As for socks, high white with no logos visible (and if the heel is a different color, nobody cares if they can't see it).

Jaxon S. Fitch

Just commissioned. If anyone sees your underwear, they're wrong. Literally per our class team, they had zero interest in our underwear. Black and Navy blue compressions are authorized with pt gear. Please for your sake wear white underwear with your summer and dress whites. Other than that, you literally can't see them in any other uniform. As for socks, high white with no logos visible (and if the heel is a different color, nobody cares if they can't see it).

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Also congrats on the commission!

Jaxon S. Fitch

I was just curious considering how blatantly my OR told me everything had to be WHITE. Maybe back in the day, but I suppose not anymore. You're the first one that's even told me there is a liner in the whites. I swear I've learned more from you all in less than a week on here than I ever did from my OR in two years.

Another question, the time limit for PRT pushups/curlups is 2 minutes still correct? Had a few people tell me it is only 1 minute for each, but it seems virtually impossible to correctly perform 100+ curl ups in one minute.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Out of curiosity, why do you guys think this matters? Summer Whites have a liner in the pants. Even with blue or dark underwear, you can't actually see the color. This really isn't something to worry about.
Knee jerk from my baseball playing days. White pants always allowed the undies to show through, I guess I never noticed the liner since the summer white blouse shows everything through it.
I was just curious considering how blatantly my OR told me everything had to be WHITE. Maybe back in the day, but I suppose not anymore. You're the first one that's even told me there is a liner in the whites. I swear I've learned more from you all in less than a week on here than I ever did from my OR in two years.

Another question, the time limit for PRT pushups/curlups is 2 minutes still correct? Had a few people tell me it is only 1 minute for each, but it seems virtually impossible to correctly perform 100+ curl ups in one minute.
2 minutes. You seem to be getting fed some terrible gouge elsewhere!

Jaxon S. Fitch

I hear you there man. So much misinformation has been tossed around.

Another thing, I know we have the third class swim test to complete stay OCS. Is there any way I can request the first class test while at OCS? Ive swam competitively my entire life and am extremely comfortable with the (joke) third class test and would be equally comfortable with the first class one. Any ideas?

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
I hear you there man. So much misinformation has been tossed around.

Another thing, I know we have the third class swim test to complete stay OCS. Is there any way I can request the first class test while at OCS? Ive swam competitively my entire life and am extremely comfortable with the (joke) third class test and would be equally comfortable with the first class one. Any ideas?
The Chief that currently runs the pool is super cool and might let you do a second class, but other than conditioning during candio, you can't do your first class there. You can ask after your third class since the pool staff will be there but they told us they're not authorized to administer it there.

Buster95

pilot
Kinda off topic, but I was wondering...

Since pilot/NFO selection rates were pretty high over thr past year, do you think selection rates are going to tank within the next two years?

Or have selection rates for pilot/NFO been consistent in the past?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Kinda off topic, but I was wondering...

Since pilot/NFO selection rates were pretty high over thr past year, do you think selection rates are going to tank within the next two years?

Or have selection rates for pilot/NFO been consistent in the past?
It all depends on labor supply & demand:
- number of vacant pilot seats across DoD at a given time (not a given with the shift toward drones long term; tied to overall force size, too)
- structural health/weakness of airline industry
- other retention factors (e.g. money; stress of ops tempo on families)
- other supply factors (lesser interest in the military among college educated US citizens)

Right now, both the USN and USAF face pilot shortages as the recovering (sorta) economy, "Amazon prime" culture, and global migration create demand for commercial pilots (both passenger airlines & air cargo).

Ref.: http://www.janes.com/article/62890/airline-hiring-boom-drives-usaf-pilot-shortage

P.S. These two posts probably don't belong in this thread...

Last edited:

flynavy830

Not sure if this is best asked here...

Been planning on marrying my GF for a while now, and it would seem to make sense to do so before OCS. My current job's benefits would be under her as well if we get married which would help a lot through the three months. My concerns are the following: I'm not sure if clearance has started yet, so would I go ahead and get married and just tell my processor? Or do I wait to have an interview? What if I'm never interviewed? Would this be a dumb decision due to these reasons?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
On the OCS website it says you need to bring your medical and dental records when you check in. But wouldn't they already have your medical records from MEPS? So do you just need to bring your dental records and immunization forms or are there other medical records they want?

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
On the OCS website it says you need to bring your medical and dental records when you check in. But wouldn't they already have your medical records from MEPS? So do you just need to bring your dental records and immunization forms or are there other medical records they want?
Unless you need a waiver, don't sweat the records. Only ones I needed were for my kidney stone waiver. Didn't even bring immunization or dental and it wasn't a big deal, they started a new record for me during week 1.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Unless you need a waiver, don't sweat the records. Only ones I needed were for my kidney stone waiver. Didn't even bring immunization or dental and it wasn't a big deal, they started a new record for me during week 1.

So if I already received a waiver from N3M am I ok or do I need to bring those documents?