• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Lesh

pilot
Aight, lemme get this absentee ballot straight.

(1) So I fill out and mail this form in ASAP: https://www.fvap.gov/uploads/FVAP/Forms/fpca2013.pdf, filling my OCS address as my mailing address:

Kim Jong-Un
Officer Candidate School
Class XX-XX
Officer Training Command Newport
291 Kollmeyer St.
Newport, RI 02481

(2) I'll receive the absentee ballot in the mail at OCS
(3) I fill out the ballot and mail it to my jurisdiction's HQ
(4) Get beat by the class team with severity based on election results come Nov. 9

Sound about right?

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
Aight, lemme get this absentee ballot straight.

(1) So I fill out and mail this form in ASAP: https://www.fvap.gov/uploads/FVAP/Forms/fpca2013.pdf, filling my OCS address as my mailing address:

Kim Jong-Un
Officer Candidate School
Class XX-XX
Officer Training Command Newport
291 Kollmeyer St.
Newport, RI 02481

(2) I'll receive the absentee ballot in the mail at OCS
(3) I fill out the ballot and mail it to my jurisdiction's HQ
(4) Get beat by the class team with severity based on election results come Nov. 9

Sound about right?

It's 1356 Meyerkord Ave

swopeful

haze gray is my favorite color.
Not sure if this is best asked here...

Been planning on marrying my GF for a while now, and it would seem to make sense to do so before OCS. My current job's benefits would be under her as well if we get married which would help a lot through the three months. My concerns are the following: I'm not sure if clearance has started yet, so would I go ahead and get married and just tell my processor? Or do I wait to have an interview? What if I'm never interviewed? Would this be a dumb decision due to these reasons?

If your marriage is absolutely imminent then I would suggest do it now. I presume you aren't prior service, so this would be the difference between receiving family separation allowance and basic allowance for housing during OCS. Depending on where you are, the latter may be a substantial chunk of change. Furthermore, Tricare and access to the commissary/nex/mwr would kick in once you go to DEERS/RAPIDS at OCS.

As for the question about the security clearance, I would just e-mail your recruiter for information on that. Short of her being Russian or Syrian it likely won't be significant in your security clearance anyway.

swopeful

I have a question about Candio boxes. Can anyone in recent classes speak to whether most folks received them? Did those receiving them (properly marked, and received at the proper time) face any repercussions?

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
I have a question about Candio boxes. Can anyone in recent classes speak to whether most folks received them? Did those receiving them (properly marked, and received at the proper time) face any repercussions?
You'll get them after capstone on Wednesday of Week 8. Most folks got them, and class team just had us open them all at once to make sure we didn't have any weapons or lighters or dumb contraband. Mine had cheez-its and jerky and cookies and coffee and it was clutch.

CarlieJP

My husband is at OCS right now. Candio boxes were a big deal to us back home to be able to send and the guys were very excited to receive them as well. It was called Candio Christmas. I think a majority of all the candidates received a box from home and some even sent an extra box for them to share with someone who might not have gotten a box.

I sent my husband: beef jerky, nuts, chocolate covered almonds, ghiradhelli variety chocolate, homemade cookies (send them in a pringles can so they don't get crushed), gun/airplane magazines, a book, head massager, popcorn.... and a few other items as well. It's also a thing to decorate the inside of the box in Navy or themed decor. Pinterest has a ton of ideas.

But as was said above, just no weapons. The DI made my husband dump half the cookies out of the can to make sure no liquor or weapons were hidden. But he didn't get extra attention from it.

Have your family use a flat rate shipping box and be sure to write Candio on all sides of the box.

eholmes94

Does anyone know when they start counting days toward the 12 weeks? Does it automatically start the Sunday you go in or do days start counting once you meet your class team?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Has anyone had any issues bringing in OTC moisturizing eye drops? I know the days leading up to the OCS eye exam aren't exactly easy on the eyes so my plan has been to over hydrate and use the drops a few times a day.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Has anyone had any issues bringing in OTC moisturizing eye drops? I know the days leading up to the OCS eye exam aren't exactly easy on the eyes so my plan has been to over hydrate and use the drops a few times a day.
I got some prescribed by the flight surgeon optometrist in the first week. They're pretty cool in there about it, just mention that you take them otc and they'll write you a script so you can have it while you're there.

My husband is at OCS right now. Candio boxes were a big deal to us back home to be able to send and the guys were very excited to receive them as well. It was called Candio Christmas. I think a majority of all the candidates received a box from home and some even sent an extra box for them to share with someone who might not have gotten a box.

I sent my husband: beef jerky, nuts, chocolate covered almonds, ghiradhelli variety chocolate, homemade cookies (send them in a pringles can so they don't get crushed), gun/airplane magazines, a book, head massager, popcorn.... and a few other items as well. It's also a thing to decorate the inside of the box in Navy or themed decor. Pinterest has a ton of ideas.

But as was said above, just no weapons. The DI made my husband dump half the cookies out of the can to make sure no liquor or weapons were hidden. But he didn't get extra attention from it.

Have your family use a flat rate shipping box and be sure to write Candio on all sides of the box.

I saw seven classes get boxes, from 08-16 through 14-16. Most class teams let you have anything within the above, but a couple were dicks about it. The 12-16 class team wouldn't let their class have any food they deemed "unhealthy". There was also a shift when 13-16 became Candios that most electronics were also contraband even for Candios. Such hadn't been the case before, but the entire culture was shifting when I graduated. Basically, this is the sort of question you need to ask when you get there, because like everything else at OCS it varies hugely based on class team.

Does anyone know when they start counting days toward the 12 weeks? Does it automatically start the Sunday you go in or do days start counting once you meet your class team?

It's not actually twelve weeks, and even each phase varies a day or two depending on your class / class team. Some classes are treated as indocs until the Monday of Week 4. Some classes get all their candio privileges early. I saw classes get phones back on on the weekend leading into week 9. Nominally:

Admin
Sunday of Arrival through Thursday of Arrival

Indoc
First Friday through Friday of Week 3

Officer Candidate
Saturday of Week 3 (20 days from arrival) through Wednesday of Week 9 (sometimes Thursday)

Candidate Officer Phase
Wednesday (night) of week 9, through Thursday (afternoon) of week 12. Graduation on Friday morning.

swopeful

Is overnight Liberty after Hi Moms discretionary? Can those who have recently graduated speak to this? The last time i saw this specifically addressed was years ago.

Is overnight Liberty after Hi Moms discretionary? Can those who have recently graduated speak to this? The last time i saw this specifically addressed was years ago.

Discretionary as of July, though I never saw a class that did not have it granted. One class even held Hi Moms at like noon just so they would have the rest of the day with their family. On the other hand, you still have to be back the next morning by like 5am, so a fair number of people just go out, then come back and stay on base.

Sonog

pilot
Discretionary as of July, though I never saw a class that did not have it granted. One class even held Hi Moms at like noon just so they would have the rest of the day with their family. On the other hand, you still have to be back the next morning by like 5am, so a fair number of people just go out, then come back and stay on base.

We stayed out to 2-3am, crashed at SO hotels, and then came back in time for the candio run/last eating by the numbers meal. We were so cool.