• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

torpedotor

To answer the question on eating, they definitely secured eating by numbers. And now they get 20 minutes to eat. All the other procedures are still in place. Like I said, learn to enjoy it. (That can be said about a lot of things there.)

speedroller

Rangers
OCS uniforms. This is extracted from the ocs.navy.mil "...Overall, the average OCS student in the class will spend roughly $3,500 on uniforms. The uniform allowance does not cover the entire cost of items purchased. Most students will need to pay out of pocket an additional $1,000, planning for the additional payment is important."

Did the uniform cost go up? Last time I remember it was on the 2.5k ball park, now it looks like 4.5k combined. For those who already completed or are in or planning to attend OCS, did you save up ahead of time?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
It's not 4.5k, it's 3.5k like you said. The 1k they're referring to is the difference between your cost and allowance for uniforms.
If Star Card is still doing their deal, you get 10% off your first day of purchases, so if you apply for that at OCS, save that silver bullet for purchase day near the end. Otherwise, a card with a 0% intro APR might be good if you can't pay for it all at once. But most don't spend a lot of money while at OCS, so you should have plenty of cash to cover it. Insert your favorite reward card here (unless, again, Star Card will do the 10% off).

lliesemeyer

It's not 4.5k, it's 3.5k like you said. The 1k they're referring to is the difference between your cost and allowance for uniforms.
If Star Card is still doing their deal, you get 10% off your first day of purchases, so if you apply for that at OCS, save that silver bullet for purchase day near the end. Otherwise, a card with a 0% intro APR might be good if you can't pay for it all at once. But most don't spend a lot of money while at OCS, so you should have plenty of cash to cover it. Insert your favorite reward card here (unless, again, Star Card will do the 10% off).

I've been unable to find any real numbers but we are being paid while at OCS correct? so that out of pocket cost refers to what we would have to pay with our OCS earnings, rather than 1000 bucks out of pocket over what our OCS earnings are. I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer. This is the stupid questions thread afterall....

Last edited:

Larick

None
Contributor
I've been unable to find any real numbers but we are being paid while at OCS correct? so that out of pocket cost refers to what we would have to pay with our OCS earnings, rather than 1000 bucks out of pocket over what our OCS earnings are. I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find an answer. This is the stupid questions thread afterall....

You are getting paid at OCS as an E-5. You should have earned enough to pay off your uniform by the time you checkout. Utilize the star card deal if you want (10% off first purchase then never use it again haha)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Yup, you earn E-5 pay at OCS unless you're a prior with higher rank or something to do with nuke (I think it's NUPOCs that are E-6).

Agree that Star Card is useful for absolutely nothing else other than that first purchase.
so that out of pocket cost refers to what we would have to pay with our OCS earnings, rather than 1000 bucks out of pocket over what our OCS earnings are.
Correct. A non-prior E-5 with no BAH or BAS will get about $2,200 per month in 2015.

lliesemeyer

Yup, you earn E-5 pay at OCS unless you're a prior with higher rank or something to do with nuke (I think it's NUPOCs that are E-6).

Agree that Star Card is useful for absolutely nothing else other than that first purchase.

Correct. A non-prior E-5 with no BAH or BAS will get about $2,200 per month in 2015.

Gotcha, so I could leave OCS around 5,000 ahead if I don't spend $ on too much else?

kjsupply05

Supply Candidate for OCS
Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if any newly commissioned officers, or anyone that knows, could help me with a couple of OCS gouge questions.

In regards to the Officer/Enlisted Navy & Marine rank structure, what info needs to be memorized? Are you required to repeat Rank, Collar Device, Shoulder Board, and Sleeve Insigna or is rank explanation the main need?
Any tips on remembering all of this?

Also, what is usually needed to be known of the 15 Leadership Traits?

I'm a little nervous about all of the info for doing well with inspections and not rolling... Any help and insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

torpedotor

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if any newly commissioned officers, or anyone that knows, could help me with a couple of OCS gouge questions.

In regards to the Officer/Enlisted Navy & Marine rank structure, what info needs to be memorized? Are you required to repeat Rank, Collar Device, Shoulder Board, and Sleeve Insigna or is rank explanation the main need?
Any tips on remembering all of this?

Also, what is usually needed to be known of the 15 Leadership Traits?

I'm a little nervous about all of the info for doing well with inspections and not rolling... Any help and insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

All of it. Verbatim. (But they don't care about the difference between "gold five-pointed star" and "five-point gold star".) Best tip: find the patterns (i.e., add a chevron from x to x, add a rocker from x to x) and group them together mentally (if that makes sense).

For the leadership traits, you should arrive with the traits memorized and probably a few of the definitions as well. But I'd work on the other items first.

If you're not sure where to start: Sailor's Creed, Code of Conduct, Chain of Command, General Orders of a Sentry, Rank Structure/Insignia, Service Songs. If you come in with those memorized, you'll be in a really good position to succeed knowledge-wise.

kjsupply05

Supply Candidate for OCS
All of it. Verbatim. (But they don't care about the difference between "gold five-pointed star" and "five-point gold star".) Best tip: find the patterns (i.e., add a chevron from x to x, add a rocker from x to x) and group them together mentally (if that makes sense).

For the leadership traits, you should arrive with the traits memorized and probably a few of the definitions as well. But I'd work on the other items first.

If you're not sure where to start: Sailor's Creed, Code of Conduct, Chain of Command, General Orders of a Sentry, Rank Structure/Insignia, Service Songs. If you come in with those memorized, you'll be in a really good position to succeed knowledge-wise.

Thanks a lot @torpedotor that was really helpful. I appreciate it! -- I've got the Sailor's Creed, Code of Conduct, Chain of Command, and General Orders of a Sentry down pretty well. Working on the rest that you mentioned!

Gator Guard

always knife hands
Gotcha, so I could leave OCS around 5,000 ahead if I don't spend $ on too much else?

Not likely. There are a ton of other expenses such as Candi-o shirts, hi-mom's, class coins, staff-student challenge, and more. I just graduated Friday and I only was up $1600 from my whole time at OCS.

Those last two liberty weekends off base cost me a lot too, because by that point I just didn't care about the bills, we all needed to relax and have fun.

My uniform tab was $3000 and I didn't go for the brooks brothers dress blues.

lliesemeyer

Not likely. There are a ton of other expenses such as Candi-o shirts, hi-mom's, class coins, staff-student challenge, and more. I just graduated Friday and I only was up $1600 from my whole time at OCS.

Those last two liberty weekends off base cost me a lot too, because by that point I just didn't care about the bills, we all needed to relax and have fun.

My uniform tab was $3000 and I didn't go for the brooks brothers dress blues.

Gotcha. Is there a reason your uniform tab was so high comparative to what others have said? Or am I misunderstanding