• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

torpedotor

I've got a few questions about OCS, or rather about getting to OCS. I am contemplating driving with another Selectee and I was hoping someone would know if we would receive a per diem, as well as be paid for mileage? If so, what amounts will the Navy pay for mileage and per diem? Also, do expenses come straight out of the per diem or are we directly reimbursed for expenses like hotel and gas on top of the per diem?

Lastly, I am a Non-prior and I will be married upon entering OCS. Can my wife expect to receive BAH while I am away at OCS?

Thanks in advance for all of your insight!

I'm assuming you'll be married prior to arriving at OCS; if that's the case, yes, assuming you get all your paperwork squared away, your wife will receive BAH. (My first roommate at OCS had the same situation.)

The per diem question, I'm not as familiar with. Sorry. (Save all your receipts.)

haimehhh

Would love to know more about the per diem deal, as well. I imagine since it's the federal govnt you won't be reimbursed for a while, but what falls within the reimbursement? Or is it a flat rate? I read that TDY allots 400 miles/day driving (e.g. a 3200 mile trip= 8 days allotted). Is the distance measured as the crow flies? Couldn't quite decipher the TDY per diem query calculator online... Any info is greatly appreciated. For context, driving from Ventura, CA to Newport (~3100 miles).

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
I've got a few questions about OCS, or rather about getting to OCS. I am contemplating driving with another Selectee and I was hoping someone would know if we would receive a per diem, as well as be paid for mileage? If so, what amounts will the Navy pay for mileage and per diem? Also, do expenses come straight out of the per diem or are we directly reimbursed for expenses like hotel and gas on top of the per diem?

Lastly, I am a Non-prior and I will be married upon entering OCS. Can my wife expect to receive BAH while I am away at OCS?

Thanks in advance for all of your insight!
The nice people from PSD will walk you through all of the specifics on how, when, and why you will be reimbursed for travel expenses. That brief was in week 1, and after 12 sleep-deprived weeks in between I really don't remember the details. Save your receipts, and keep track of your tolls too.

Regarding BAH, if you have dependents you should receive it based on your home of record. My wife and son were in the DC area and I drew BAH at that rate for the full 12 weeks, which is significantly higher than in Newport. Just be prepared that it might not hit your first LES if it takes some time for them to get the paperwork processed; if that's the case, you'll get the outstanding allowance paid out all at once on the next one.

haimehhh

Didn't know if he just meant he didn't remember the specifics but you can find out by talking to PSD, or if he meant that it'll be covered once we get there. Thanks for clarifying

connolly10574

Hey, I feel as if this is a stupid question so I'm putting it in this forum. Is there certain guidelines our letter of recommendations should have? One of mine is a retired Captain for USN so she'll know what to put in there but one of my LOR's have asked me if there is anything specific that they should put in. I feel as if I am over thinking this (normal habit) :confused: Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Hey, I feel as if this is a stupid question so I'm putting it in this forum. Is there certain guidelines our letter of recommendations should have? One of mine is a retired Captain for USN so she'll know what to put in there but one of my LOR's have asked me if there is anything specific that they should put in. I feel as if I am over thinking this (normal habit) :confused: Thank you!

Never assume they will know or think about what they are putting in a LOR, I had one that was from a senior officer that had known my applicant most of this persons life, 99% was a great LOR talking about his drive, leadership, activities, etc.... The last line was awful, it said "knowing XXXX for all of his life it will be interesting to see how he adapts to military life". When I asked the senior officer about this he said it was fine, that the statement wouldn't be any issue.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I thought they secured eating by the numbers after three people choked.

Or are you talking about chow hall entry procedures? "Door bodies off the rear!" and "Forward March! Step-freeze! Stand fast!" and so on.

z06z33

I thought they secured eating by the numbers after three people choked.

Or are you talking about chow hall entry procedures? "Door bodies off the rear!" and "Forward March! Step-freeze! Stand fast!" and so on.
I guess I'm talking about eating by the numbers.