• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Brooksssiiieee

Couple of stupid questions:

1) I am in the 03Jan class, How is indoor PT?
2) For liberty weekends/post graduation.. Should I bring an extra civilian outfit or 2 other than the one I have on the first day?
3) any other contraband I bring, (make-up etc...) will those just be taken away initially and then returned after a certain week?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot

2) For liberty weekends/post graduation.. Should I bring an extra civilian outfit or 2 other than the one I have on the first day?
3) any other contraband I bring, (make-up etc...) will those just be taken away initially and then returned after a certain week?

1. Awful
2. After graduation is when you can finally wear civilian clothes. It may or may not fit. Just pack a bag and leave it with your parents/friends (if possible) and have them bring it to your graduation. If not, you can shop at the NEX or downtown Newport during liberty.
3. You could, and keep it in your lucky bag until you're a candio and can use it (for class trip/liberty/portraits/graduation), or you can buy them at the NEX or Amazon.

john90

I just feel like I want to share something with all of you here at airwarriors, you have been a great asset to me over the years and I feel like I can trust your feedback on this:

Long story short; I just called my recruiter and told him I am withdrawing my application for SNA, when I am supposed to swear in tomorrow and report 29NOV2015. Here's why:

I was initially accepted SNA Dec of 2013, coming on two years ago now. Before that I had been accepted as a Marine aviation candidate but had my OCS class moved from OCT 2013 to July 2014, so my recruiter suggested I go Navy and they'll get my butt there fast. I did and within a month had my selection and OCS date. Problem was I had been training for Marine OCS for months now, I'm 6'5'' and was about 240 then. I was running 3 miles in 18 minutes, but on a treadmill. About a week before Navy ocs my leg began to hurt and after a subsequent run I couldn't even walk on it. Cue in, "oh shit oh shit oh shit I leave for Newport in a week!" So Essentially I rested it and thought I'd be good to go by the IST. Note: I had NEVER had a sports medicine injury before so I didn't understand the extent of what I had done. Got there, getting yelled at, hurt like hell, whatever suck it up, and then on the IST I got to be shuttled away by corpmen. Spent the next days in a drugged up haze in H thinking I was in prison because no one talked to me. fast forward 20 odd weeks in MEDHOLD and then a surprise discharge of me and just about every other MEDHOLDer.

So I find myself out of the Navy, wondering what the hell happened and having my discharge code on my DD-214 changed AFTER we left to a RE-3Q which requires 6 months to even start the waiver process. But screw it, I want to go back and that is my mission. Adapt, overcome, etc. Finally I was reaccepted on the Sept surprise board, got SNA and NFO. But then something hit me. I remembered during my exit interview with the CO him looking me in the face and saying, " oh, if you make it back don't be surprised if you're Nami whammied, so want to be a Naval officer first". So I began to dig. At the time he said that everyone told me not to worry about it, he was probably just saying things. And throughout my struggle I buried that prospect from my mind. But the more I dug the more I remembered the sad souls who ended in Student Pool after being NPQ'ed from aviation and forced to wait in a purgatory of months waiting for someone to pick them up. One girl waiting till the next fiscal year after graduating in May. And a lot of them were NPQ'ed for things much minor than a military discharge for a injury. Even though mine was waivered by MEPS and was just pattelofemoral syndrome and stated as temp on my app. I realized NAMI had not even been clued on to my existence and won't be until I arrive in Newport. And by then I am sworn in.

I know a lot of you might think being a naval officer first is the honorable thing, but I reached a point during the year and a half I was jerked around on applications where I realized this was making me feel small and they were the merciful gods. When in fact I am an individual who has worked hard to get where I am, made myself the qualified applicant and am not willing to go back to feeling like I am at the whim of bureaucracy. And the more I thought the more I knew there would be a NPQ waiting for me there and I'd go through not knowing if I'd even be offered another job. And when I finally broke down and called my recruiter about it it only reaffirmed this. I love avaition, i rebuilt a biplane in high school, have THOUSANDS of hours of volunteer work on WWII aircraft and museums. I am the greatest asset to the military if I am in my element. If I had gone the first time and been NPQ'ed and offered a job I would have set that aside and done it to the best of my ability. But I decided I can step back and take charge of my fate now rather than later. So with all that being said, I am going Air Force. Yes, to the dark side, to join my sister and where my father served as well. I have confirmed and confirmed again that I am afforded a clean start there that the Navy would more than likely not. In this decision I feel like I have control of my life for the first time in almost two years. I want to earn this new spot, not wait to see if the powers at be decide to let me.

I hope all of this makes sense. It was the toughest decision of my life. I lost 10 lbs in a week not eating or sleeping over it. I know some of you will say I took a spot from someone else, and I do feel guilty over it. But we all reach defining moments in our lives and mine hit recently. I'm now without a guaranteed job, no report date, but I am excited to start a new journey I am in control of finally! Thanks again all of you for your useful gouge over the years!

john90

@john90, not sure if the USAF has some sort of loop hole but know that they will know about your health history just as easy as NAMI will. Just be prepared for it.

I'm aware, the main difference being the flight surgeons on the air force side are willing to discuss it with me prior to swearing in. Whereas the folks up at NAMI made it clear that they can't do anything until I was up there on medical monday. It was by looking through their own guidelines on their website that I found what made me concerned. The main detriment being as I had a medical discharge from the Navy while under a NAMI medical clearance. Effectively nullifying it. So what I gathered is that the Air Force will see my first flight physical as just that, the first, whereas with NAMI I am damged goods on their records. Even though it was just runners knee. (A guy at OCS got Nami whammied for a similar issue from high school, he made the mistake of reporting it when most people just say no to leg pain, but mine happened there so they know). I swear I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat or something. They kept me in the reapplication process for almost two years, so I had plenty of time to dig and understand the beast. So for me it was a career decision versus a short term fix of just seeing what would happen with NAMI, because if it went afoul I'd have two discharges from the military... Which would really make it harder to go Air Force.

If it means anything my recruiters response to asking the question was, "you need to be prepared to take whatever job they give you." I understand being a Naval Officer first. I do. But my passion is with aviation, and I will be the best asset serving in that field. Stick me on a ship or in intel and you'll have a distracted mind to say the least.

Starsfan93

pilot
Hey Air Warriors members,

I’ve been roaming on this site for a couple months now and I have a quick question. I’m 22 years old and I’m about to graduate with a degree in finance (3.5 GPA) in December and I want to be a SNA. I know I’m going to be a disadvantage compared to other applicants because I’m a non-prior with not as much leadership experience as others. So I want my chance to be accepted into OCS to be as high as possible. So I want to know is it actually better to apply right after the new fiscal year? Is the selection rate a lot higher during that board?

Thanks,

Austin

exNavyOffRec

I'm aware, the main difference being the flight surgeons on the air force side are willing to discuss it with me prior to swearing in. Whereas the folks up at NAMI made it clear that they can't do anything until I was up there on medical monday. It was by looking through their own guidelines on their website that I found what made me concerned. The main detriment being as I had a medical discharge from the Navy while under a NAMI medical clearance. Effectively nullifying it. So what I gathered is that the Air Force will see my first flight physical as just that, the first, whereas with NAMI I am damged goods on their records. Even though it was just runners knee. (A guy at OCS got Nami whammied for a similar issue from high school, he made the mistake of reporting it when most people just say no to leg pain, but mine happened there so they know). I swear I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat or something. They kept me in the reapplication process for almost two years, so I had plenty of time to dig and understand the beast. So for me it was a career decision versus a short term fix of just seeing what would happen with NAMI, because if it went afoul I'd have two discharges from the military... Which would really make it harder to go Air Force.

If it means anything my recruiters response to asking the question was, "you need to be prepared to take whatever job they give you." I understand being a Naval Officer first. I do. But my passion is with aviation, and I will be the best asset serving in that field. Stick me on a ship or in intel and you'll have a distracted mind to say the least.

given you were discharged you will still have to disclose all to the USAF including all medical issues, with some things the USAF is much more strict, with some not so strict, it seems as if you know that you really won't know what they will think so you are going in with your eyes open, but one of the hard things is the USAF doesn't do things like the USN does as far as pilot spots, one of my good friends sons is in USAF flight training, he was a USAFA grad, when I asked him about the breakdown of people he has been around in flight school he said USAFA and some AFROTC, he didn't recall meeting anyone that came in via OCS so probably tiny number, so just be aware of that.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Hey Air Warriors members,

I’ve been roaming on this site for a couple months now and I have a quick question. I’m 22 years old and I’m about to graduate with a degree in finance (3.5 GPA) in December and I want to be a SNA. I know I’m going to be a disadvantage compared to other applicants because I’m a non-prior with not as much leadership experience as others. So I want my chance to be accepted into OCS to be as high as possible. So I want to know is it actually better to apply right after the new fiscal year? Is the selection rate a lot higher during that board?

Thanks,

Austin

ASTB trumps everything for SNA. Take it and see how you do. I don't believe waiting until the new FY will change much, selection rates have been pretty high for a couple of years now.

sharkbait1

pilot
Step 1: Study like heck and take the ASTB. Now:
I know I’m going to be a disadvantage compared to other applicants because I’m a non-prior with not as much leadership experience as others.
You'll only be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants if you don't apply. Applicants are coming from all sorts of backgrounds. There are plenty of non-priors who get picked up for SNA, myself included. The selection process is whole person, so leverage all of your experiences in your personal statement. School projects, summer jobs, camp counselor type things. Just sit down and start writing - you'll be surprised what you come up with.

So I want my chance to be accepted into OCS to be as high as possible.
Contact an officer recruiter, and schedule a time to take the ASTB. Chance of getting into OCS without that: 0. Chances of getting into OCS with a decent ASTB and 3.5 gpa: much higher.

So I want to know is it actually better to apply right after the new fiscal year? Is the selection rate a lot higher during that board?
Best to apply ASAP, because you don't know what can or will hold your package. I had a simple problem that ended up holding my application back 6 months, so don't wait for the "good" selection board. Worst case, you submit your packet to the next one in a few months...

PM me if you want to chat more!

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW

1) Indoor PT sucks. There still isn't an adequate facility for it, so you'll be doing it in the p-way.
2) No. Don't worry about that at all. You've gotta make it through the other three phases first.
3) It depends on how thoroughly the CandiOs check your stuff. I manages to get some Bengay in.

john90

given you were discharged you will still have to disclose all to the USAF including all medical issues, with some things the USAF is much more strict, with some not so strict, it seems as if you know that you really won't know what they will think so you are going in with your eyes open, but one of the hard things is the USAF doesn't do things like the USN does as far as pilot spots, one of my good friends sons is in USAF flight training, he was a USAFA grad, when I asked him about the breakdown of people he has been around in flight school he said USAFA and some AFROTC, he didn't recall meeting anyone that came in via OCS so probably tiny number, so just be aware of that.

Navyoffrec,

I appreciate your opinion on this matter. As of now I am taking the AFOQT in two weeks and will also schedule the TBAS. They do know about my medical since they can just pull everything from MEPS. They do not seem to think it will be an issue, they seem to take sports med injuries a little lighter than the Navy but then they do take some things more seriously. They are offering me a spot on a non-rated board in January or I can wait until June for the next rated pilot board. They seem to really want me for the non-rated board since I have a degree from a good school. But I'm also not wanting to give up on flight just yet. So I am thinking of using the time in between to "rush" air national guard units to get a spot in their UPT program. Which, i'm not sure if any of you guys have looked at that, but it is an awesome program. You essentially know your duty station and platform already! I even have an interview coming up at Battle Creek MI, where I'd get to fly A-10's!

So advice on whether to take the nonrated job or to keep pushing hard for aviation would be appreciated. Keep in mind, I have very little money now after extending myself for the Navy process, it's a consideration, but one I'm trying not to give too much weight to.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
To copy @NavyOffRec the USAF also changed how they calculate your "Pilot Score" which is a composite grade of your package that is one of the biggest determiners for the Board. It used to be heavily weighted on the TBAS and your GPA, similar to the Navy, now however it places a much higher emphasis on having flight hours, so even if you crush the TBAS and have a good GPA you may not be competitive.

If I were going AF (and I considered it for a while), Guard sounds the way to go. I know the slots are competitive, especially the "sexier" platforms like the fighters and A-10s, but if you can land one it's an amazing time from what I've heard. Plus if you still really want to go AD after a few years I believe there is a way you can make that happen (I'll let the AF dudes speak to that though).

john90

To copy @NavyOffRec the USAF also changed how they calculate your "Pilot Score" which is a composite grade of your package that is one of the biggest determiners for the Board. It used to be heavily weighted on the TBAS and your GPA, similar to the Navy, now however it places a much higher emphasis on having flight hours, so even if you crush the TBAS and have a good GPA you may not be competitive.

If I were going AF (and I considered it for a while), Guard sounds the way to go. I know the slots are competitive, especially the "sexier" platforms like the fighters and A-10s, but if you can land one it's an amazing time from what I've heard. Plus if you still really want to go AD after a few years I believe there is a way you can make that happen (I'll let the AF dudes speak to that though).

What you are saying is entirely true. I am studying for the AFOQT so I can knock it out of the water. I didn't study for the ASTB and still did great on it so I am hoping putting some time into studying will put me as close to perfect as possible. Also, I do have about 189 flight hours, should that be enough to get their attention? And if it helps too those hours are in a lot of platforms (C-150, C-172, DA-40, 1942 Stinson Reliant) I also have flight time in a B-25, DC-3, T-6 Texan, PT-17 Stearman and even a P-51! Which I'm hoping will catch the recruiters, especially the guards, attention.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Honestly I don't know a whole bunch about the AF side. After I realized how much of a hindrance my lack of flight hours would be, and even if I did get a UPT slot there is an overwhelming chance of flying something non-tactical (i.e. tanker, transports, recon, UAVs), it became Navy or bust for me.