• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
For RLP, did anyone bring an extra pair of running shoes to have clean ones for presentation, or did you just present the ones you use daily?

I did, but looking back it wasn't really worth it as it took up space. The staff will understand that your shoes will be used, so just clean them up the best you can with a spare toothbrush.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Here is a question I asked in another thread but may have a better chance of getting an informed answer here: Does anyone know when military benefits, specifically health/dental, kick in? I want to make sure I'm covered from the time I leave my current position to the time I'm covered by military insurance and I wasn't sure when that would be. I don't mind getting some supplementary insurance if necessary but I also don't want to be driving up to Newport, get in an accident or something, and then have some crazy medical bill debt from being uninsured.

I'm pretty certain you get military benefits the moment you check into OCS, as that is your active duty start date.

Bluecore

I'll have some more questions to post before I report, but I'll break in with a real stupid and seemingly meaningless one: do we eat our first meal of the day before or after PT?

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
I'll have some more questions to post before I report, but I'll break in with a real stupid and seemingly meaningless one: do we eat our first meal of the day before or after PT?

Everything I've ever read about OCS has said you eat after. In boot camp we ate after as well.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
In the winter you PT before lunch, in the summer before breakfast. Transition was in mid-May when I was there.

psulaw0929

Question for priors. I know we need to bring ribbons and large medals. Can/should we bring the pre-mounted thin ribbons, I never had these before but I hear people speak highly of them? And, just so I'm clear since it's been a while, I would need (1) a full set of ribbons; (2) a full set of medals; and (3) a set of ribbons that includes only the ribbons for which there isn't a corresponding medal (to wear on the right breast when medals are on the left breast)? Also, we won't get any additional ribbons or medals at OCS that would affect what we currently have right?

44magnum

We PT'd before breakfast but maybe in the winter it is after. If you're like me and don't like PTing on an empty stomach, after the drill competition (in week 5 I think) we requested and were approved to have authorized protein bars. That was the greatest thing ever, and I would eat one every morning before PT. And like between every other meal too. The taste of artificial chocolate also really brightened my mood. I think the other half of our class had them authorized since RLP, but those guys got the Disneyland version of OCS.

44magnum

Question for priors. I know we need to bring ribbons and large medals. Can/should we bring the pre-mounted thin ribbons, I never had these before but I hear people speak highly of them? And, just so I'm clear since it's been a while, I would need (1) a full set of ribbons; (2) a full set of medals; and (3) a set of ribbons that includes only the ribbons for which there isn't a corresponding medal (to wear on the right breast when medals are on the left breast)? Also, we won't get any additional ribbons or medals at OCS that would affect what we currently have right?
Yes, I recommend the thin ribbons because they look sharp and stay in place. The only problem I've had is the little bar with the spikes getting pulled off. If I use a backing (cardboard or something under my shirt) then it solves that problem. Easily superglued back on though.

Yes to questions 1, 2, and 3. No, you won't get any new medals at OCS unless you save someone's life from choking on a tater tot or something. If you know you will earn a new Good Conduct Medal then just get it put on before OCS.

BLaird

First off I'd like to say, Hi everyone and thank you so much for all the information that is shared on here!

I've been reading on here for quite a while now, but this will be my first time posting. I am assuming someone has asked this before but I haven't been able to find the information...

I am active duty Navy and I submitted my package for the IDC board that will convene here in a couple of weeks. I was wondering how long after the board convene's I might expect to know the results.

I found the FAQ's sheet on the npc commissioning programs page, it says, "
Question: How will I know if I am professionally recommended for a given Officer designator?

Answer: Your command will find out first through the command’s BUPERS Online (BOL) Command Leadership Access. Your CO/XO will receive the official OCS Notification via their BUPERS Online (BOL) Command Leadership Access. They will also receive your official Selection Letter (indicating that you were professionally recommended) and the Service Agreement for the Officer Program for which you were selected. Once the command-level results have been sent to the fleet, applicant’s BOL accounts will also be updated to reflect the professional recommendation board results. Approximately one week after a professional recommendation board concludes, an applicant will receive via BOL, under the Selection Boards page, either a "Y" if professionally recommended or an "N" if not professionally recommended. If you were professionally recommended, that will trigger continued processing for OCS and you would then be encouraged to contact the OCS Processing Team within Navy Recruiting Command (NRC) to determine the next step in your processing. If you were not professionally recommended during the board, your application will be archived with no further action being taken. No professional board results will be provided over the phone. Instead, all professional board results will be distributed through BOL."

I guess my question is about how long do the boards typically meet? I am at a command with very few Navy personnel so I don't think the Command Leadership Access will be utilitzed so I'm just curious/anxious to know when to start checking for results.

Thank you

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
First off I'd like to say, Hi everyone and thank you so much for all the information that is shared on here!

I've been reading on here for quite a while now, but this will be my first time posting. I am assuming someone has asked this before but I haven't been able to find the information...

I am active duty Navy and I submitted my package for the IDC board that will convene here in a couple of weeks. I was wondering how long after the board convene's I might expect to know the results.

I found the FAQ's sheet on the npc commissioning programs page, it says, "
Question: How will I know if I am professionally recommended for a given Officer designator?

Answer: Your command will find out first through the command’s BUPERS Online (BOL) Command Leadership Access. Your CO/XO will receive the official OCS Notification via their BUPERS Online (BOL) Command Leadership Access. They will also receive your official Selection Letter (indicating that you were professionally recommended) and the Service Agreement for the Officer Program for which you were selected. Once the command-level results have been sent to the fleet, applicant’s BOL accounts will also be updated to reflect the professional recommendation board results. Approximately one week after a professional recommendation board concludes, an applicant will receive via BOL, under the Selection Boards page, either a "Y" if professionally recommended or an "N" if not professionally recommended. If you were professionally recommended, that will trigger continued processing for OCS and you would then be encouraged to contact the OCS Processing Team within Navy Recruiting Command (NRC) to determine the next step in your processing. If you were not professionally recommended during the board, your application will be archived with no further action being taken. No professional board results will be provided over the phone. Instead, all professional board results will be distributed through BOL."

I guess my question is about how long do the boards typically meet? I am at a command with very few Navy personnel so I don't think the Command Leadership Access will be utilitzed so I'm just curious/anxious to know when to start checking for results.

Thank you
The document you are quoting applies to everything except IDC. The March 2015 board released results approximately 1 month and a week after the board. The September 2014 released results 2 months after the board.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I did, but looking back it wasn't really worth it as it took up space. The staff will understand that your shoes will be used, so just clean them up the best you can with a spare toothbrush.

There really isn't a need to get new shoes just for RLP, unless you like to waste money. Just bring what you have and you should be fine. I used my everyday pair and didn't have a problem. Also, if you are lucky some Candio will be giving away their extra pair of shoes for RLP. Again, not needed.

psulaw0929

Could any OCS grads provide any gouge on OCS for older people? I'm 33 and am in pretty good shape but I'm no young buck anymore and I'm an attorney who sits in an office for many hours (unfortunately). I'm thin and, as mentioned, in pretty good shape but my 1.5 mile run time is around 12:30 (hope to get it down to at least 12 minutes before OCS) and I can't do hundreds of pushups and situps in 2 minutes. I only need to be under 13:45 for a GOOD on the PFA, and I think I only need like 41 pushups and 51 curlups, but I've read a little about "run groups" and what-not and my run time, although pretty good for someone my age as far as PFA requirements, isn't in line with the paces and expectations of the bulk of younger people who will, presumably, make up the rest of my class. Am I going to be in trouble?

aebchoi

Hi ya'll

I'm currently trying to apply for nfo, but my gpa doesn't meet the mark. Does anyone know anything about getting a gpa waiver. Thanks

-Albert

VoodooNova

None
Could any OCS grads provide any gouge on OCS for older people? I'm 33 and am in pretty good shape but I'm no young buck anymore and I'm an attorney who sits in an office for many hours (unfortunately). I'm thin and, as mentioned, in pretty good shape but my 1.5 mile run time is around 12:30 (hope to get it down to at least 12 minutes before OCS) and I can't do hundreds of pushups and situps in 2 minutes. I only need to be under 13:45 for a GOOD on the PFA, and I think I only need like 41 pushups and 51 curlups, but I've read a little about "run groups" and what-not and my run time, although pretty good for someone my age as far as PFA requirements, isn't in line with the paces and expectations of the bulk of younger people who will, presumably, make up the rest of my class. Am I going to be in trouble?

If you can pass the PRT with at least a good, you'll be just fine. The runs we did weren't paced, they were timed for 20-25 minutes. I was also in a winter class, so I don't know the summer PT regimen.