• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
Is there a limit on the amount of people who can attend the graduation? I've got a pretty big military family, plus my military brothers want to come.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Is there a limit on the amount of people who can attend the graduation? I've got a pretty big military family, plus my military brothers want to come.

Yes, because the gym and facilities can only hold so many people. As a class, we traded tickets so people with larger families/friends could have more tickets. You probably won't be able to invite everybody but you can probably get everyone you need there.

BT

I can't get multi-quote working, but to the dude who asked about RPT sessions: It's going to be dependent upon who is RPTing you. Different DIs and different RDCs have different favorites. GySgt Bamba, USMC, loved him some push-ups and would burn you out by doing thousands (totally super cereal), while GySgt Hurst, USMC, loved down-up-in-outs, and AZC(AW/SW) Sowinski, USN, would do whatever popped in her head at the time, and she was creative as hell. If you want to practice for an RPT session, find a sandpit or a beach, and then do a bodyweight Crossfit-style workout. It's about as close as you can get. If you're going to be in a winter class, get used to running indoors.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
Yes, because the gym and facilities can only hold so many people. As a class, we traded tickets so people with larger families/friends could have more tickets. You probably won't be able to invite everybody but you can probably get everyone you need there.

Do you remember how many each graduate gets?

44magnum

No, I remember the actual graduation being unlimited. The pre-graduation reception was initially 4 guests per person, but then they changed it to unlimited. For graduation, there aren't tickets or anything, so there really isn't any accountability of how many people come.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
No, I remember the actual graduation being unlimited. The pre-graduation reception was initially 4 guests per person, but then they changed it to unlimited. For graduation, there aren't tickets or anything, so there really isn't any accountability of how many people come.

Yeah, I remember the banquet being far more constrained because it was a small venue, whereas there was only a sign-up sheet or something to that effect for the actual ceremony. I was in a winter class so everything happened indoors and the NAPS Gym or whatever they're calling it now had to fit everyone. Unless you're bring a platoon of people, you should be okay. Also, be aware that if you have anyone in your party who's a big muckety-muck (One of my classmates' dad was CO of NAS Key West) the instructors would like to know so they can recognize them.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
Unless you're bring a platoon of people, you should be okay. Also, be aware that if you have anyone in your party who's a big muckety-muck (One of my classmates' dad was CO of NAS Key West) the instructors would like to know so they can recognize them.

Yeah, it'll be about half a platoon size. About 20 people. Lol. I'll have some Army guys, my family, and some family friends who are retired Navy.

TnSig

SNA
What are some exercises you almost always have in RPT sessions? I'm working on building an interval workout and would like to include a lot of RPT type exercises. I know there isn't any way to fully prepare for it, but I would like to make my intervals as close to an RPT session as I can.

Jumping jacks, pushups, squats, high knees, planks(or bridges), lunges, squat thrusts, leg lifts(known as 6-90's at OCS), and the infamous BEAR CRAWL! A certain DI also discovered the "backwards bear crawl" during my last few weeks there, which was a fun new way to change things up, or at least that's what she thought. Do them hard and fast for 10-15 minutes at a time. If you aren't covered in sweat (like buckets, not a summer's afternoon glistening), then you aren't going hard/fast enough. Also keep in mind in OCS you will be SCREAMING each repetition count while exercising, which will rob you of some breath. Here is an example..

GET OUT ON LINE RIGHT NOW!! GET TO THE KILL ZONE SO I CAN FRICKEN KILL YOUR BODIES RIGHT DAMN NOW!! BRING YOUR FRICKEN CANTEENS TOO! YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT.

Jumping jacks for approximately 60 seconds (in perfect unison, of course)
Pushups for around 30-45 seconds
6-90's for around 30-45 seconds
bear crawl to some arbitrary object/door/other terrified candidate and then bear crawl back
Squat thrusts for 60 seconds
Back to pushups...
Etc etc...for 10 minutes

GET OUT OF MY FACE. GET YOUR FRICKEN CANTEEN AND TAKE YOUR DISGUSTING BODIES OUT OF MY KILL ZONE BEFORE WE GO ANOTHER TEN MINUTES. ILL SEE YOU IN ONE HOUR!

Strangely, this is also how PT was conducted every morning on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday while I was there, except it was for one hour using stations. Now I heard they run ~40 min MWF and do the circuit type PT only twice a week.

mhunter

None
Jumping jacks, pushups, squats, high knees, planks(or bridges), lunges, squat thrusts, leg lifts(known as 6-90's at OCS), and the infamous BEAR CRAWL! A certain DI also discovered the "backwards bear crawl" during my last few weeks there, which was a fun new way to change things up, or at least that's what she thought. Do them hard and fast for 10-15 minutes at a time. If you aren't covered in sweat (like buckets, not a summer's afternoon glistening), then you aren't going hard/fast enough. Also keep in mind in OCS you will be SCREAMING each repetition count while exercising, which will rob you of some breath. Here is an example..

GET OUT ON LINE RIGHT NOW!! GET TO THE KILL ZONE SO I CAN FRICKEN KILL YOUR BODIES RIGHT DAMN NOW!! BRING YOUR FRICKEN CANTEENS TOO! YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT.

Jumping jacks for approximately 60 seconds (in perfect unison, of course)
Pushups for around 30-45 seconds
6-90's for around 30-45 seconds
bear crawl to some arbitrary object/door/other terrified candidate and then bear crawl back
Squat thrusts for 60 seconds
Back to pushups...
Etc etc...for 10 minutes

GET OUT OF MY FACE. GET YOUR FRICKEN CANTEEN AND TAKE YOUR DISGUSTING BODIES OUT OF MY KILL ZONE BEFORE WE GO ANOTHER TEN MINUTES. ILL SEE YOU IN ONE HOUR!

Strangely, this is also how PT was conducted every morning on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday while I was there, except it was for one hour using stations. Now I heard they run ~40 min MWF and do the circuit type PT only twice a week.
Thanks so much for that! You gave a lot of good advice and examples! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Whitefoot

None
I think I know who you are talking about. SHE is my DI. Graduate in 6 days. She loves her some bear crawl in whichever way she chooses.

MGB001

Stupid question, and it may have been answered before, but what medical records do we need to bring to OCS if we are civilians? Will they require anything or will they build a new set of records from scratch during medical? Thanks!

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Here is a question I asked in another thread but may have a better chance of getting an informed answer here: Does anyone know when military benefits, specifically health/dental, kick in? I want to make sure I'm covered from the time I leave my current position to the time I'm covered by military insurance and I wasn't sure when that would be. I don't mind getting some supplementary insurance if necessary but I also don't want to be driving up to Newport, get in an accident or something, and then have some crazy medical bill debt from being uninsured.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Stupid question, and it may have been answered before, but what medical records do we need to bring to OCS if we are civilians? Will they require anything or will they build a new set of records from scratch during medical? Thanks!

They say "all records" but no one does. Just bring stuff that will be relevant to any waivers you might need if you're going aviation.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
For RLP, did anyone bring an extra pair of running shoes to have clean ones for presentation, or did you just present the ones you use daily?