• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Pwinslow

1. Does it matter what color running shoes you bring? I have black ASICS with blue and green highlights.

2. How many times do they completely shave your head? (besides the initial haircut at the start of OCS) and how often do you get a haircut?

3. I am not good at folding clothes or making beds. How well do they teach you how to do those things at OCS?

Larick

None
Contributor
1. It doesn't matter what color your shoes are. As long as they are not minimalist shoes then you're good to go.

2. This might have changed when I was there. We had our heads completely shaved ~2-3 times during Indoc phase. Once you hit officer candidate phase, you no longer had to shave it all off, unless youre already balding and want too. The males in the class had to get some type of fade every 2 weeks after indoc phase.

3. Depends on how good the candi-o that teaches you. You're going to have classmates who are going to be good at something during RLP inspection ie folding stuff. Ask them!

Last edited:

KMC1020

I noticed in a lot of the videos the Guidon is a short female. Is there any reason in particular they pick short females or is this just coincidence?

44magnum

I noticed in a lot of the videos the Guidon is a short female. Is there any reason in particular they pick short females or is this just coincidence?
The guide (who carries the guidon) is always the shortest (or nearly), and females just tend to occupy the role of being the shortest. The reason is that shorter people take shorter steps and therefore walk slower. If you put a tall person as guidon, the short people would fall behind and jack up the formation.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Sometimes the drill body will also be the guide so that they can focus on teaching drill.

Being tall pays off again.

No.

I'm 6'2" and was the fourth tallest person in my company. My DI lined us by height, which made me first squad leader.** The problem with being first squad leader is that you're always in front, regardless of which way the company is standing. This means that if you're the first person who gets quizzed on gouge, the first who gets their boots and uniform scrutinized, etc. And I sucked at drill. It was totally miserable.

And on the boat, my height is just perfect so that I hit my head on stuff, but not tall enough to walk around crouched all the time.

**Sometimes this is a job for managing the class, but since my DI was drillmaster he just used height to make us look better. Others will do the same.

KMC1020

The guide (who carries the guidon) is always the shortest (or nearly), and females just tend to occupy the role of being the shortest. The reason is that shorter people take shorter steps and therefore walk slower. If you put a tall person as guidon, the short people would fall behind and jack up the formation.

Well coming in at a staggering 4'11, I guess I can expect to be in the front!

mhunter

None
What are some exercises you almost always have in RPT sessions? I'm working on building an interval workout and would like to include a lot of RPT type exercises. I know there isn't any way to fully prepare for it, but I would like to make my intervals as close to an RPT session as I can.