• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
Is it advisable to work at my job until my first travel day, or do most people heading to OCS give themselves a week or two of freedom to relax before showing up?

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Is it advisable to work at my job until my first travel day, or do most people heading to OCS give themselves a week or two of freedom to relax before showing up?
A week or two of freedom would be ideal if you can afford it IMHO.

shutout39

pilot
^^I second that. Take 2 weeks off work to really build up your conditioning, especially if you're not where you want to be physically. Study some of the gouge out there, but most importantly enjoy the time with your family and friends.

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
Another one: I have to take my oath of enlistment soon. Questions that I keep thinking of:

What does that change for me? Am I technically reserve/active duty from that point forward? Am I subject to UCMJ? Is that when I get my orders, or is my FS letter my order? Is there anything else I need to think about, or is this just a formality that makes it legal for me to go to OCS and be subject to the chain of command?

Artur

VT-86
Well I've heard to expect upwards of $3,000 of expenses at OCS, which is probably my biggest concern. I also failed to mention my truck, my dad bought me a truck as my college graduation present, on the condition that I'd take over the loan and insurance payments when I got a job, so that's also a consideration. As far as BAH goes, I've heard it may take a while before that kicks in, e.g. not until Primary or something like that, so if it takes a few months to class up at API, rent will take up a big chunk of my basic pay. But like I mentioned, the whole $25k won't go to expenses, I'll probably take 5k to open a Roth IRA, possibly another 5k in a taxable account.

Just wanted to get others' feedback regarding BAH kicking in? is that right that it takes weeks or months to kick in once you graduate OCS and move to p'cola for API?

Sonog

pilot
Just wanted to get others' feedback regarding BAH kicking in? is that right that it takes weeks or months to kick in once you graduate OCS and move to p'cola for API?

I'm pretty sure BAH starts the paycheck following when you get your orders stamped when you check in to API. Plan for a couple of weeks, not months.

jtmedli

pilot

You dont get BAH because you're staying in "government quarters" at OCS. You'll get it once you move to Pcola.

BleedGreen

pilot
Is their a time during OCS where an applicant can switch between career choices? For example, NFO to SNA, SNA to NFO etc?
I was told by N3M that I am ineligible for SNA but can apply for NFO. What my recruiter suggests is to apply for NFO so I can potentially switch at OCS once a flight surgeon clears my medical condition.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Is their a time during OCS where an applicant can switch between career choices? For example, NFO to SNA, SNA to NFO etc?
I was told by N3M that I am ineligible for SNA but can apply for NFO. What my recruiter suggests is to apply for NFO so I can potentially switch at OCS once a flight surgeon clears my medical condition.
I can't say I have any personal knowledge on the matter, but I thought I'd at least point you towards these threads if you haven't already seen them:

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/nfo-to-pilot-transition-question.23504/
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/eye-surgery-nfo-to-pilot-program.40125/

BleedGreen

pilot
I can't say I have any personal knowledge on the matter, but I thought I'd at least point you towards these threads if you haven't already seen them:

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/nfo-to-pilot-transition-question.23504/
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/eye-surgery-nfo-to-pilot-program.40125/

Thanks Pat_Ryan I have read through those threads before and they are very helpful. Those threads seem to be tailored to post OCS though whereas my recruiter swears up and down you can switch fairly easily during OCS. I am trying to determine if my recruiter is feeding me a bunch of bull.

LET73

Another one: I have to take my oath of enlistment soon. Questions that I keep thinking of:

What does that change for me? Am I technically reserve/active duty from that point forward? Am I subject to UCMJ? Is that when I get my orders, or is my FS letter my order? Is there anything else I need to think about, or is this just a formality that makes it legal for me to go to OCS and be subject to the chain of command?
If having to abide by the UCMJ changes your life in any real way, you might want to rethink the whole "being a naval officer" thing. Once you swear in, you're in--you'll be in the USNR until you commission and are on active duty.

jtmedli

pilot
Thanks Pat_Ryan I have read through those threads before and they are very helpful. Those threads seem to be tailored to post OCS though whereas my recruiter swears up and down you can switch fairly easily during OCS. I am trying to determine if my recruiter is feeding me a bunch of bull.

You recruiter is full of $hit. Switching designators is ONLY done in the case of Medical related issues. Going to your class officer and saying "Oh, I decided I want to be a (insert designator here)" wont happen.

BleedGreen

pilot
You recruiter is full of $hit. Switching designators is ONLY done in the case of Medical related issues. Going to your class officer and saying "Oh, I decided I want to be a (insert designator here)" wont happen.
Thank you sir for the response, I figured it was a bunch of crap.