• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Pmurphy21

OCS candidate for spring/summer 2013
I have been accepted into the Navy for NFO. Gotten thru MEPS and just got a few questions back that I had to go to the doctor about. I have dextroscoliosis of the thoracic spine. The doctor said that it was very minor. Does anyone know if that is something that could stop me from passing my medical eval?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I have been accepted into the Navy for NFO. Gotten thru MEPS and just got a few questions back that I had to go to the doctor about. I have dextroscoliosis of the thoracic spine. The doctor said that it was very minor. Does anyone know if that is something that could stop me from passing my medical eval?

Try the search function, and failing that post in the Doc's corner subforum. The people who will know will respond in there.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yes. And it has to be perfect by the time they call reveille, which means you get to wake up 10-15 min early to make your rack.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Nah, they just take away your desk, chair, and closet, so now you have to wake up 30 min early to iron the uniform that was shoved into your seabag, too (I guess that's one good thing that NWUs fixed). Then if they find you sitting on your rack before taps they might make you post a class p-way watch anytime you aren't in class, which doubles your class's watchbill requiremens and thus halves the amount of nights you get to sleep all 7 hours. You are already manning 6 slots to stand at parade rest in 2 hour shifts in the regimental p-way from 1800-0600. It's especially rough if you have a 13 person class headed by the black ninja (luckily not I).

Then a couple of days later they go through all the rooms and dump the seabags that don't have locks on them. And then you're out a $50 dress shirt that someone takes because it's unopened and unmarked in a gigantic pile of uniform items. And after that you get to go play in the sand because you are all dumb. And then you get to wax the floor because they made you do snow-angels in the p-way with all the sand they made you heave inside, after you've gotten all the sand back out, of course. Then your moto class president SWO daddy tries to give the class a yfg and you envision stabbing him in the throat with a toothbrush because it's 2000 by the time you finish the cleanup and you really just want to hygiene and go to bed and know that the outcome would've been the same no matter what anyone did.

But they won't ever tell you to lock your seabag. Nor will they fire the class president for giving sleep-depriving yfgs.

They know that the class gets desensitized to exercise around week 4. After that they get much more creative with punishments.

zianac

Extra awesome
None
But they won't ever tell you to lock your seabag. Nor will they fire the class president for giving sleep-depriving yfgs.
So... what you're saying is lock our seabags? When will we be issued/able to buy locks for that? I know at bootcamp, we were just given one lock... I start on Sunday!

yakboyslim

None
Yes. And it has to be perfect by the time they call reveille, which means you get to wake up 10-15 min early to make your rack.

Or, another creative punishment, your rack needs to be a mess at reveille (since technically you can't be awake before reveille). Then it needs to be made by 0505, but you have to go to the head as a class for 10 minutes first thing. Impossible goals like that are a form of punishment, just to see how everyone copes.

Also with the locks, we once had to lock all our locks together in a big ball. Then get them unlocked as quickly as possible. Major pain since we didn't put our names on them. So only 2 or 3 people could work on it at a time, just putting their combo in over and over, until they found their lock.

Sonog

pilot
Okay- stupid question here. Do you have to make your bed everyday at OCS?

The way it worked for most classes when i was there is you make your racks a couple of times a week. You sleep on top of your made rack and then you get up a couple of minutes before reveille to straighten it out and make it look perfect. If its cold you will probably be sleeping in your sweats. If its hot you wont need blankets anyways. YMMV with different DI's, especially in the first couple of weeks. Don't worry if you suck at making a good rack. Everything is a team effort and usually everyone helps each other out to make sure everyone's rack is up to par. This is unoffical btw, because you are required to sleep in between the sheets as if you were a normal person.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have any more info on this career starter loan from USAA? I tried to look on their site, but you need to be a member to see that stuff apparently. Is the rate still around ~3% for $25K? Anyone get one recently?

jtmedli

pilot
Does anyone have any more info on this career starter loan from USAA? I tried to look on their site, but you need to be a member to see that stuff apparently. Is the rate still around ~3% for $25K? Anyone get one recently?

I'm pretty sure it's still 2.99%. I used it to re-fi my student loans.