• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Gotcha, thanks guys. I'm lucky enough not to have any debt so far, but I also don't have any savings to speak of either, so it'd be good to have some liquidity when the time comes to go to OCS (and then API after that).

jtmedli

pilot
Gotcha, thanks guys. I'm lucky enough not to have any debt so far, but I also don't have any savings to speak of either, so it'd be good to have some liquidity when the time comes to go to OCS (and then API after that).

Liquidity? I think you mean, "Ensign Mobile Money."

Reactions: Rev

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Take the $500-600 you'd normally pay toward the USAA loan on a monthly basis and put it into a savings account. Your liquidity will build up quickly, and you won't have to pay extra money long-term for some cash now. Also, your money depreciates in a savings account, since interest is lower than inflation. If you have investment experience and a strategy to turn that $20k into much more, then take the loan and put it into the market. Just keep in mind I've met a lot of newly minted officers who thought they could be a part-time stock broker, and most of them didn't make nearly the coin they thought they would and by the time the market turned, they hit sea duty.

If you're single you'll eventually end up renting a 2br apt/3br house with 1-2 other guys and banking upwards of 1/2-2/3 of your bah. You'd be surprised how quickly that adds up, too.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Would I be able to use an American Express card to pay for my uniforms and stuff? I haven't researched the credit line they offer very much, but I've got pretty good credit and I'd love to keep my expenditures on the American Express (or my Visa if I have to) without opening another line.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You can pay however you like. Most people opt for the STAR card because you get an instant 10 (or 20?)% discount immediately, and on a $1800-2000 purchase, that's a good chunk of change.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
You can pay however you like. Most people opt for the STAR card because you get an instant 10 (or 20?)% discount immediately, and on a $1800-2000 purchase, that's a good chunk of change.

It is indeed. I guess it can't hurt too much to have it for the sake of the uniforms. :)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Take the $500-600 you'd normally pay toward the USAA loan on a monthly basis and put it into a savings account. Your liquidity will build up quickly, and you won't have to pay extra money long-term for some cash now. Also, your money depreciates in a savings account, since interest is lower than inflation.
The thing is, since the rate is so low, the payments are deferred for six months, and the loan's paid off in five years, the extra money I'd be paying is relatively minimal. But yeah, I couldn't put it all in savings, because not only are savings rates lower than the interest rate on the loan, they're lower than the rate of inflation, so I'd definitely lose money on that deal.
If you have investment experience and a strategy to turn that $20k into much more, then take the loan and put it into the market.
That's my plan, to put part of the money into a checking account to cover my expenses for a few months, and then invest the rest of it. I've been investing for a few years now, so I'm pretty confident I could do fairly well without taking on too much risk.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That's my plan, to put part of the money into a checking account to cover my expenses for a few months
I'm just curious...with no debt, what expenses to you expect to have as a newly minted O-1 "for a few months" that won't be able to be covered by your salary + BAH? You'll get your first paycheck 15-30 days after you commission.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I'm just curious...with no debt, what expenses to you expect to have as a newly minted O-1 "for a few months" that won't be able to be covered by your salary + BAH? You'll get your first paycheck 15-30 days after you commission.
Well I've heard to expect upwards of $3,000 of expenses at OCS, which is probably my biggest concern. I also failed to mention my truck, my dad bought me a truck as my college graduation present, on the condition that I'd take over the loan and insurance payments when I got a job, so that's also a consideration. As far as BAH goes, I've heard it may take a while before that kicks in, e.g. not until Primary or something like that, so if it takes a few months to class up at API, rent will take up a big chunk of my basic pay. But like I mentioned, the whole $25k won't go to expenses, I'll probably take 5k to open a Roth IRA, possibly another 5k in a taxable account.

OnlyTheRealist

Stupid question here... With all the beatings that take place it wouldn't surprise me if some of the candidates threw up at one time or another. Has anyone vomited during a beating or seen someone else vomit? If so, what happened to them? Do the DIs single you our and beat you even harder if you do? I just have to ask because I am prone to feeling nauseous after extreme physical exertion. I know being in the best shape helps, but sometimes they will push you past your physical limits it seems.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you throw up, they make you eat it. They don't get really pissed off unless you then throw it up a second time.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stupid question here... With all the beatings that take place it wouldn't surprise me if some of the candidates threw up at one time or another.
Good heavens Dude, OCS isn't the "Hanoi Hilton"... your 'beatings' will be mental. The DIs are actually on our side (although that will often be hard to believe)!:eek:
OCS DI.jpg
BzB

shutout39

pilot
To answer the question: yes people barf, usually during morning PT because they screwed something up or got caught cheating. I've also seen it during and after the PFA. If you show up fat/out of shape they will find you and they will "melt the fat off," as I heard one DI yell at one kid. If you're last, or close to it, in anything at OCS you will usually pay for it...so just trip someone if you need to.

Pmurphy21

OCS candidate for spring/summer 2013
Just a question about timing for hearing back about an OCS date. I have been cleared and accepted for NFO and am just waiting for the last of the paperwork to come thru before I sign and swear in. About what time should I expect my OCS class date to be? Would it be within the month or a couple months?

sometimes they will push you past your physical limits it seems.
If your definition of physical limits are jogging, calisthenics, and marching in formation then sure.

All these PFA/PT questions are kind of baffling. You're a grown man and you're joining the military. If you show up out of shape you deserve to be beaten. I wasn't the pillar of physical fitness when I first enlisted, but I was 17. When I made the decision to join I made the comittment to myself to get into shape as should you. Don't be that guy that shows up to OCS a fat slob. Not only does it look terrible to your DI's, but if you do happen to make it through and continue to be a fat slob you will have your sailors talking shit about how big a dirt bag you are behind your back, fact.