• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Gus Gorilla

I think that PB thing is Navy wide. Even on the ship, when midrats got to be slim pickins (often) there was always two things. Peanut butter and tuna. Might not have bread for either but you can bet your hat there will be a vat of PB.
"You got cool-aid no sugar, peanut butter no jelly, ham no bread. You aint got no foods that match. " always came to mind.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I have recently noticed that i feel sick when i eat peanut butter, sometimes making me nauseous no matter what brand, it has not happened before and i have already been accepted SNA, I was just wondering if there is a way to avoid eating peanut butter in Navy OCS? i would hate for all this hard work to be for nothing.

If you have a food allergy, and it sure looks like you do, fess up now. Any advice being given to you to 'shut up about it' is bullshit and will not bode well if an integrity issue comes up. Furthermore, YOU need to protect the investment USN is putting forth by being honest. Don't wast my tax dollars by not reporting a food allergy. Good grief, protect your health.

CalamityJean

I know which way the wind shines!
Really really don't worry about it. They don't serve anything at OCS that contains peanuts and like the others have said, peanut butter is a treat and not one you are forced to indulge. Hell, we didn't even get the option til Candio, we were grab and go the whoooooole time.

beaverslayer

pilot
so 1 says disclose and like 12 say forget about it and just dont eat peanut butter......

Although the one vote for disclosure is coming from a doc who has had way more experience with these issues than any of the other opinions being thrown around. Just something to think about.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
two new questions for the thread:
1. During the grad ceremony, will there be an MC type person taking pictures of first Salute and all the good stuff, similar to an awards quarters for newly minted Ensigns?

2. When you graduate, if you have the leave on the books, are you entitled to 30 days leave due to PCSing?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
There's a photo company that takes pictures of the graduation ceremony and your first salutes.

Depends on your orders. They will have a NLT date. Don't blow that. If a ship or school is expecting you, that would complicate things.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I've been memorizing the general orders of a sentry, code of conduct, CoC (at least parts that I have), and phonetic alphabet. I have also been looking over the rank structure to know the names of the ranks. Is there anything else worth knowing verbatim before I arrive?

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Anything beyond that wouldn't be very helpful. Just know those verbatim, and non necessarily in order. (i.e know at random)

m26

Contributor
Anything beyond that wouldn't be very helpful.

No?

I downloaded some required knowledge sheet from the OCS website, and it had things like insignia descriptions, Anchors Aweigh, and rank descriptions. I've been throwing some brain power towards them. Should I not?

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
No?

I downloaded some required knowledge sheet from the OCS website, and it had things like insignia descriptions, Anchors Aweigh, and rank descriptions. I've been throwing some brain power towards them. Should I not?

It wouldn't hurt, but the important ones are the big three (CoC, General Orders, Code of Conduct). Rank Structure would be a nice to add if you know nothing about them. The songs I wouldn't bother with now.

mikeyc-man

So I've been hearing different things about how many pairs of what we're supposed to bring to OCS. Can anyone confirm what is a good number of white tees, socks, briefs? And also, should we bring pairs of boot socks?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
So I've been hearing different things about how many pairs of what we're supposed to bring to OCS. Can anyone confirm what is a good number of white tees, socks, briefs? And also, should we bring pairs of boot socks?

You really won't need white t-shirts at all. The ones you use for inspection are the ones they issue to you and you don't wear those until all your inspections are over with. I'd bring extra socks and briefs. Get some decent crew socks that are plain white. It made life a lot easier to have extra socks. Bringing boots socks is up to you. If I had to do it over again I would have. You might have to sneak them in though. Make sure they are black if you do bring any.

I don't imagine much has changed in the way of what you need though. I know the white t-shirt was more important when they still wore wash khakis.