• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Negative on the Red Parrot. Not great food and pricey even if it were quality ingredients.
Top Tips for Dress: Show up in GI JOE shirts, Mini Skirts, Navy pride regalia, or in an US Flag T-shirt. See where that gets you.
Lastly, On Candi-O relations: Don't know your designator, let the Candi-O figure it out for you. OR, Inform him you're a SWOO (SWU?), insist that you've pronounced it correctly.

gtwhitegold

Do you find it annoying when your balls make that 'clink' sound every time you move around?

Sure thing.

One other thing, kilts are recommended for attire for OCS. I plan on showing up in a full kilt with my traditional Gunn tartan. If it does not go above the waist it is a skirt, not a kilt.

CalamityJean

I know which way the wind shines!
2 Questions:

1.) OTC says to bring $100 in cash, but I have read here and elsewhere in cyberspace that $500 is necessary. I don't think I would have that much available before I go, will I be able to survive on just what OTC says? (I've read that we will be using starcards or something of that sort for expenses at the NEX , etc etc.)

2.) Can any recent female grads comment on what white "briefs" are. Every kind of female underwear is classified as a brief. Not talking any shameless cuts, but don't want to have hipsters confiscated because I should have brought granny panties. (Please males, cut me some slack, I'm just trying to get it right).

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
2 Questions:

1.) OTC says to bring $100 in cash, but I have read here and elsewhere in cyberspace that $500 is necessary. I don't think I would have that much available before I go, will I be able to survive on just what OTC says? (I've read that we will be using starcards or something of that sort for expenses at the NEX , etc etc.)

2.) Can any recent female grads comment on what white "briefs" are. Every kind of female underwear is classified as a brief. Not talking any shameless cuts, but don't want to have hipsters confiscated because I should have brought granny panties. (Please males, cut me some slack, I'm just trying to get it right).

I didn't bring any cash and still made it fine. Most of your expenses can be paid by credit card except for some initial fees, but if you can bring $500 then do it. You will be able to keep that money locked up in your war locker.

OH-

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When it comes to money... I would bring maybe 200 cash. You are allowed one drawer that has a lock hole for you to put a lock on it to keep your personals. That is where I kept my wallet, debit card, and a check book. There are a few expenditures like uniforms and class t-shirts/other stuff the class votes to spend money on that you will have to pay for. This stuff is usually back loaded when you're about to finish. You will be making money so that will cover some stuff...but it's nice to have the extra money around for random things the class votes on (ie. class coin, where to do Hi Moms etc..)

I can't really comment on number 2 but you're not gonna be feelin sexy anyway so as many pair of granny panties as you can in my opinion. You'll be going through underwear like crazy.

So 1) Bring a couple hundred in cash for up front expenses...whatever they may be. 2) Take a little ziplock bag to put your wallet/checkbook/car keys in... 3) As many white pair of undies as you can. If you're that worried, just bring what you have they'll tell you what stays or goes when you check-in. If you happen to have a "lucky pair" , just grab them on your first POV run and nobody is going to tell you to get rid of them. I saw guys in boxers later on.

DISCLAIMER: I did go to OCS in March of '09 but I can't imagine that my advice is drastically different.

CalamityJean

I know which way the wind shines!
If you happen to have a "lucky pair" , just grab them on your first POV run and nobody is going to tell you to get rid of them.

^^^
That is equal parts hilarious and disgusting. No one should have lucky underwear.

Why its even an issue for females is because those grannie elastic bands can come up past your belly button. Has nothing to do with needing to be attractive, and everything to do with what sits comfortably under clothes. I will take your advice on pretty much everything though.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Unfortunately nothing is comfortable at OCS. It sounds farfetched but you'll be so stressed you won't notice your Urkel underwear and impending wedgie.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I will back up the $200 or so in cash. Try to keep something like that (or more) on you throughout OCS, if you can. One thing that would be handy is to keep different denominations in your locker as well 1's, 5's, 10's, etc. Try not to just have 20's. If they say, "OK, 'Hi Moms' is going to be $53 per person," you can just go to your locker, grab $53 and be done with it. You won't have to go asking others to break a 20. Just a thought.

I don't know what to tell you about the granny panties, but OCS was the first time since I was about 10 years old that I had worn tightie-whities, and the last time since. Like Sooner said, you won't care much. I don't recommend the 'whale tail' look, though. Actually, scratch that, yes I do.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You really only *need* $20 in cash. Extra cash is helpful for when you need little things. If you don't have cash though, at the NEX and small NEX, you can put that on the account they will make you open. Things like Hi Moms, T-Shirts, etc, you can use checks for if you want. I took about $100 and that seemed to last all the way through week 8.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Okay, you guys haven't heard from me for awhile, as I waited around for forms. I finally have them, but I need some help filling them out. I received these forms:

Application for Commission In the USN/USNR
Hold Harmless (for PFT/PRT/IFT, I guess)
OCS Statement of Understanding
SSN Disclosure
DD370 (these are to give to me reference officers, correct?)
NAVPERS1070 613SECINVESTIGATION

Now should these be filled out and signed by hand in hardcopy and mailed back to my office recruiter? He said once they are completed, he will forward them to the board, but he did not specify how he wanted them delivered to him, but they all have signature lines.

I note, that the Hold Harmless mentioned having already been through MEPS, but I haven't been through MEPS or had a physical for OCS (just in 2005 when I was a midshipman).

I'm now on month 14 of this process, and while being in Japan is a serious hinderance, I'm starting to wonder why it is taking so very long.

m26

Contributor
You've got this in the wrong place, Seafort. That said, 3 things:

1) FAX, FAX, for the love of God FAX it to your recruiter unless or until he demands you mail it. (if you can do that from Japan. I wouldn't know)

2) DD370 must be filled out by your former employers... I don't know how far it goes back, I didn't have enough to ask.
Also, you have a typo and I want to make a Lucky Charms joke, but none is coming to me :(

3) If signing the Hold Harmless would entail you swearing to an untruth, don't sign it and bring it up with your recruiter. If it just "mentions" MEPS, I would just go ahead and do it, but I don't have it in front of me and can't read it for you.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Seemed like stupid OCS questions to me. Where should I have put it, for future reference?

1) Uhm... I am sure it is possible to FAX internationally. I just presume it would be expensive. I'm not sure where to find one. Could I possibly just sign the document, and email it, and have my OR print it out?

2) Former employers? Uhm. Over the last 12 years I have worked for almost as many employers. I have to have all of them fill a DD370? There are also employers I don't want contacted, and some that probably can't be contacted. The employer who falsely reported my income tax, as an example, is an employer who, if it could be found, would not make an ideal character reference.

3) Reading over the form carefully, it does not trap me in an untruth. Thanks.

m26

Contributor
This is about OCS, as in the actual training program. This would be the proper location.

I just meant not to mail it. Things get lost/don't arrive, and I got burned that way. I sent in at least one thing the email way (a MEPS form), so I would say try it, just make sure you speak to your recruiter soon after to verify that it arrived and was acceptable.

Let me see, I didn't have to submit my two cashier jobs, 2002 and 2005, age 14 and 17. I did submit my last three jobs, 2007-2009, 19-21. I don't remember the reasons why I needed those but not the others. You'll have to ask/check the requirements.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Have you tried posing these questions to your OR?

The employer who falsely reported my income tax, as an example, is an employer who, if it could be found, would not make an ideal character reference

The form is for an employment reference, not strictly a character reference.