• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
They were in the process of actually phasing in the true Navy PT uniform when I left OCS which is good because otherwise the PT uniform at OCS is useless outside of OCS.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
They were in the process of actually phasing in the true Navy PT uniform when I left OCS which is good because otherwise the PT uniform at OCS is useless outside of OCS.

I have been told otherwise. since the OCS on the back of the shirt is still on a Navy issued shirt, it's good to go. Just a few months ago we had a stashed Officer PTing with us rocking her OCS smurf sweater. I dunno though, maybe it is just where I have been

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I suppose it depends on who you ask, I've seen it slide here with the sweatshirt but the t-shirts, long-sleeves are a no-go

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
From a newly minted butter bar, going back and reading this thread is freaking hilarious...

As for the PT Gear question, you are now issued the Gen 2 shorts (not those terrible short shorts), Long Sleeve and Short Sleeve "OCS Navy" shirts, and Navy sweatpants/sweatshirt. The "OCS Navy" sweatgear is gone.

On the rolling question, you might roll one class (2-3 weeks depending on the schedule) or more depending on the issue. Tough to get into specifics. Generally, my advice is don't quit odds are good you won't roll.

Ajleger

haha yeah they phased in the new stuff right after I got my issue. About two weeks after I got issued the terrible short pt shorts, they started giving out the real navy ones. Theyre working on running out of all the old pt shirts too, and theyll be switching to the yellow ones

Ajleger

sorry if this has been posted on here before, i don't recall seeing anything but in regards to rolling--

I feel like i've heard that a lot of people will roll from their original ocs class...is that really true? if so, how does it work, do you have to stay and extra week, or month? and why exactly do so many people roll?

thanks!
people will roll for all sorts of reasons, from failing rlp to getting sick/injured. Guaranteed you will get sick. the question is how sick.. I ended up with pneumonia and rolled 2 weeks for it. It sucks, but you deal and move on... definitely dont plan on it being a straight 12 weeks

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Once you're secured or whatever, or even after OCS, do you have to wear the heinous Navy PT uniform just to go to a base gym and lift or can you wear whatever?

Some dudes went to Gym 109 and worked out/played BBall there as CandiOs. Your class team will dictate what the attire will be.

finch

Im not sure if i am just looking in the wrong places......but does anyone happen to know the current Chain of Command i need to memorize? Or know where i can find it? I mean i know the easy ones, but am having trouble figuring out the entire list and am assuming there has to be a current list some where that would make this much easier.

Jeffe

Final Select 2009
Finch- Google was my friend on that one and also on the actual OTC website it has the CO and XO under the tab "Command--Leadership--CO/XO/CMC" find those here: http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otc/index.asp

-When memorizing rank for those recent grads..Do you need to know just the rank or how to describe it? (O-1=Ensign vs. Sir/Ma'am, an O-1 in the United States Navy is an Ensign. His insignia is a one gold bar collar device etc...)

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Finch- Google was my friend on that one and also on the actual OTC website it has the CO and XO under the tab "Command--Leadership--CO/XO/CMC" find those here: http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otc/index.asp

-When memorizing rank for those recent grads..Do you need to know just the rank or how to describe it? (O-1=Ensign vs. Sir/Ma'am, an O-1 in the United States Navy is an Ensign. His insignia is a one gold bar collar device etc...)

They will usually ask questions in the format of "what does an O-1 wear as a collar device" or "what does an O-5 wear on the SDB sleeves"

AliCatsWife

OK, I am not some crazy over-achieving wierdo, so please try not to yell at me like you're DIs when I ask this...

Will we be allowed to do any workouts on our own while in OCS? I know PT's going to be crazy hard and I will be sore, but I'm doing a Half Ironman a few months after I graduate from OCS. A 3 mile run a few days a week will not really help me prepare for my 70.3.

Can I go swim laps on the weekends and hit the stationary bikes in the base gym? (If they have spin bikes, even better!) Will I be setting myself up for a beating if I ask the DIs (or whoever) if I can go workout?

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
OK, I am not some crazy over-achieving wierdo, so please try not to yell at me like you're DIs when I ask this...

Will we be allowed to do any workouts on our own while in OCS? I know PT's going to be crazy hard and I will be sore, but I'm doing a Half Ironman a few months after I graduate from OCS. A 3 mile run a few days a week will not really help me prepare for my 70.3.

Can I go swim laps on the weekends and hit the stationary bikes in the base gym? (If they have spin bikes, even better!) Will I be setting myself up for a beating if I ask the DIs (or whoever) if I can go workout?

Just tell your DI that "I've got more push than you've got time." That should get you in pretty good shape.

Seriously, at night you can do whatever bodyweight exercises you want to do and have time for. On the weekends that you are secured and given liberty you can go to whatever gym you want. But, no, you can't just ask your DI if you can go workout in the middle of the day or anything. Read up on here about the daily schedule at OCS. You're going to be pretty busy.

Ajleger

what boomhower said. About halfway through, youll start having more time at night... but theres literally one eliptical and nothing else that works for cardio, and very little in the way of weights. while you only run 3 miles a day a few times a week, youll stay in decent shape with everything else you do (though youll definitely lose muscle if you normally lift weights). Once youre a candio, you can workout whenver you want/have time, including at night..

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^--- If you have a job as a Candio that lets you have free time. I was indoc adjutant and didn't sleep at all. In fact, I got less sleep as a Candio then I did as a candidate. You will be so tired after hours, you will just want to pass out. There are always uniforms to iron, last minute studying, laundry, a whole bunch of little tasks to get done during lights out that you rarely get to sleep when the lights go out. Many a night we had our desk lamps on doing shit. RLP week, forget about it..you won't sleep that much. Then the nights where you think you're ahead of your duties, you remember you have watch in the middle of the night.

As far as fitness, I had friends that powerlifted and others who were into marathons etc...their bodies were decimated by the diet and the suckiness that is OCS in general. Your diet is terrible, you get 3 hours of sleep and the PT you do is not to sculpt your body..I looked like I escaped Auschwitz when I was commissioned.

I had a great time though, would never want to do it again..commissioned in 12 weeks and made some great friends along the way. However, I really think once you get there..OCS will force you to put any future plans on hold. Hell, after the first few weeks, I forgot I was even there to become a pilot because weeks 2 and 3 made getting out of there seem so far away. You just want to get out of there as quick as possible. You'll see.

OH, and I forgot, you WILL get sick...so keep that in mind.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I looked like I escaped Auschwitz when I was commissioned.

My mother didn't even recognize me when she came in for my graduation until she looked me in the eye. She didn't want to say it, but I could tell she was thinking, "You look like shit!" However, the ice cream man uniform helps overcome the sunken cheeks, dark eyes, and pale skin you may have in a mother's eyes. Mom's are good like that.