• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
It was a sad day when they carpeted the squad bay.... The hard floors up there always amazed me.... How the salt from sweaty palms doing pushups wore through the material over all the years..... Why carpet over something like that?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
18-90. Drill Instructor was Gunnery Sergeant Woodring, United States Marine Corps, Non-Commissioned Officer In Charge Of Battalion II.

I still of think of that title as all caps.:D

My stepfather was 33-68. Batt III was up by the golf course across from where the BOQ is now.

Falk

FS SNA
Ok, time for the stupidest question yet. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one but I'll ask it anyway. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Will there be any opportunities to get coffee at OCS?

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Ok, time for the stupidest question yet. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one but I'll ask it anyway. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Will there be any opportunities to get coffee at OCS?
ohhh good question, i'm a huge coffee drinker myself.

by and large, not till you have on-base liberty and can run off to the coffee shop. this won't happen till at maybe week 8 or 9 (or 10!). i don't think we were ever allowed to get coffee from the mess even as candi-o's although it was available in the candi-o lounge which you'll have access to at the end of week 9'ish. coffee from the mess is a DI thing, although most didn't allow it IIRC.

so, sort answer, don't bet on it. get off the caffiene now while you still can manage the headaches :)

btdunn

I had a mild correction and wanted to know the same thing (didnt want glasses at all) and I was told that wearing them is optional, but YMMV. They do have Tylenol/ibuprofen available if that helps any.

Is it a big deal to get the Tylenol/ibuprofen? Can you have it in your room for whenever you need it or do you have to jump through some BS hoops to get it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Is it a big deal to get the Tylenol/ibuprofen? Can you have it in your room for whenever you need it or do you have to jump through some BS hoops to get it.

In pcola, during week one and beyond, we could get basic meds with a chit (aspirin, foot power, cough medicine, condoms... yes, seriously) So I assume Newport is the same. Be prepared to go without for the first week though.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You will have a med body. Talk to him, request to get a cold pack at King Hall medical. It comes with horse pills (800 mg ibuprofin) as well as acetominophen.

Do not do this during indoc; missing any morning evolutions will make you roll.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
You will have a med body. Talk to him, request to get a cold pack at King Hall medical. It comes with horse pills (800 mg ibuprofin) as well as acetominophen.

Do not do this during indoc; missing any morning evolutions will make you roll.
i don't think the cold packs came with the horse pills. they came with weak-ass tylenol and some other generic (however very effective) cough stuff.

i had to specifically request my horse pills. they gave me so many of those cold packs i actually still have a cold pack or three in my closet. i was the class drug dealer for quite awhile, a title that somehow isn't on the official list of billets. i'd come back to my room and stuff would just disappear from my stash drawer.

unbreakableskies

SNA December 02
i'm sure already asked...

Hey guys... I searched the boards for a while with no actual answers as well as searching the web, but figured asking here would get me answers the fastest, and I know everyone will say wait till u get there, but anyways:

(also after reading this thread it seems like there are a lot of new guys with old guys, so if any of the new guys have a better perspective on the Newport OCS that would be awesome, not to discredit the older info, just seems a lot of my questions have to do with things that may have changed)

1.I have had mixed info on hair cuts for women... is it still mandatory to get it cut at OCS or do they give you a chance to keep it up and neat until you prove you can't and they make you cut it? Also any females with input on best option? just get it cut and get it out of the way... or deal with putting it up? also how short is too short and how long is too long?

2. some how this is bugging me... when do you do laundry? and are your uniforms dry cleaned? and what if you get stains in your paints?

3. also I read some where the uniforms changed and the navy gets camo now? is that true? or your only given them at basic and not OCS?

4. also I have read a lot on the PT stuff, but again not much info for the females... i know the difference in the requirements for males and females, but when guys are down pushing out a 100 push ups (not during testing but just PT) are girls just staying in the rest position? if you fall out are you just hounded or can u get rolled?

just wondering ... I'm athletic and work out 6 days a week (weights and cardio) so don't expect too much of a problem but again, not built like a guy with huge upper body strength so just trying to get an idea on some stuff.

5. lastly how are showers run? no one talks about these... is it one big group shower and bare all? or stalls? I know u only get a few seconds to really rinse off in the beginning but couldn't find much on how they are done

thanks!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
1. No. They are going to cut it. No matter how short you cut it, they will cut it again. Every girl I saw while I was there got it cut. Even the ones that showed up with short hair.

2. This should be the last of your worries. If this is really bugging you OCS is going to be very difficult. We always had a laundry body that organized doing laundry for every one a couple times a week at night. It sucked to get laundry duty cause you would get little to no sleep that night. Your uniforms WILL get stains... Daily. You will be PT'ed in them every day. Many times outside in the goose shit covered grass. You wear working khakis until you're a candi-o, so chances are if you are a SWO you wont ever wear them after OCS.

3. Unless this has changed recently you will not be given cami's. Your first week you will be in a green "poopie" suit coverall. After that you will usually either be in PT gear or wash khakis. You don't want to wear the gay blue cami's anyway...

4. Yes, yes, and yes. Girls get PT'ed the same with the guys. Most girls struggled, and it can be a way to get hounded or rolled (primarily in the first week). Show up in the best shape of your life. Work primarily on body weight exercises. There will be times where you do push up style exercises for hours, simply because there's nothing else in the schedule. If you're the girl that does push ups for 10-15 seconds and then squirms in the forward leaning rest the DI's will probably single you out. Don't expect anything to be easier because of your gender. Except maybe not having to wait to shower.

5. Showers are slightly easier for the females because they dont have as many per class as males. There are stalls, but you basically stand there in the buff and as soon as someone jumps out you jump. You being female it should be a little easier.

That was how it was in Newport when I was there.