• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Would doing service with the peace corps/americorps help with my application? I was just offered a volunteer position with americorps from August 24-Febuary 25. I think the project could be really cool, if i decided to do this and apply to ocs in the fall would a position with them help my application or would it not do much?

exNavyOffRec

Would doing service with the peace corps/americorps help with my application? I was just offered a volunteer position with americorps from August 24-Febuary 25. I think the project could be really cool, if i decided to do this and apply to ocs in the fall would a position with them help my application or would it not do much?
Nope, if you want to do it for the experience then do it.

JRCarl22

What happens if you have high blood pressure from during the initial medical at OCS? I regularly check my BP and it is good but I have a bad case of white coat syndrome. Would you get medically DQ or will they let you retake it?

aetolicus

Is there any downside to applying for 5 programs? I know that most people don't, but is it something that boards view unfavorably?

I'm interested in CWO, Intel, MCWO, NFO, Supply - probably in that order. My recruiter said that there's no issue with listing all of them on my APSR, and that the order I rank them in does not affect how the boards make decisions, e.g. the Supply board doesn't care whether Supply is my 1st or 5th choice. My impression from lurking here is that the opposite is true. Is this something that varies by community or from board to board?

exNavyOffRec

Is there any downside to applying for 5 programs? I know that most people don't, but is it something that boards view unfavorably?

I'm interested in CWO, Intel, MCWO, NFO, Supply - probably in that order. My recruiter said that there's no issue with listing all of them on my APSR, and that the order I rank them in does not affect how the boards make decisions, e.g. the Supply board doesn't care whether Supply is my 1st or 5th choice. My impression from lurking here is that the opposite is true. Is this something that varies by community or from board to board?
It depends, aviation doesn't care but the others do. IWC if lumped together makes sense but be aware MCWO has specific requirements and the average GPA for those that get selected for IWC designators is 3.5 as they can be selective.

There was a time where Supply would reject anyone who didn't list them as #1 and IWC was the same way, now they are more flexible and #1 and #2 is more like it.

The caveat to this with Supply is the immediate selection criteria but to do that you have to be able to be able to go to OCS fairly quickly and the board schedules don't often line up so while you may meet the immediate selection criteria for Supply (and NFO) you might not be able to take advantage of that opportunity.

This is all assuming that you have competitive profile for all of these programs and you OR isn't having you shotgun application in hopes someone picks you up.

aetolicus

It depends, aviation doesn't care but the others do. IWC if lumped together makes sense but be aware MCWO has specific requirements and the average GPA for those that get selected for IWC designators is 3.5 as they can be selective.

There was a time where Supply would reject anyone who didn't list them as #1 and IWC was the same way, now they are more flexible and #1 and #2 is more like it.

The caveat to this with Supply is the immediate selection criteria but to do that you have to be able to be able to go to OCS fairly quickly and the board schedules don't often line up so while you may meet the immediate selection criteria for Supply (and NFO) you might not be able to take advantage of that opportunity.

This is all assuming that you have competitive profile for all of these programs and you OR isn't having you shotgun application in hopes someone picks you up.
That makes sense, thanks. I meet the immediate selection criteria for NFO but I'm still waiting on a medical waiver, and I'm not ready to ship quickly either.

Re:Supply, I don't meet the immediate selection criteria: GPA is only 3.2 and I have a weird situation with the math requirement (I did very little math in college because I already did multivariable calculus in high school). My OR has indicated that I'm still a competitive candidate, but if I list Supply as my 4th or 5th choice, would it likely be an auto-reject anyways?

Re:IWC, my GPA is below average but my OAR is above average (79). My degree is in Computer Science (fitting the MCWO requirement) but I don't have much related work or leadership experience. My OR indicated that I'm a good candidate for CWO, MCWO, and IP, but from looking around on this forum I'm not so sure. In this situation, does it make sense to apply for multiple IWC designators, or should I narrow down my choices? E.g. do you think it would be better to have list like this:
#1 CWO, #2 Supply, #3 NFO
Or a list like this:
#1 CWO, #2 Intel, #3 MCWO, #4 Supply, #5 NFO

exNavyOffRec

That makes sense, thanks. I meet the immediate selection criteria for NFO but I'm still waiting on a medical waiver, and I'm not ready to ship quickly either.

Re:Supply, I don't meet the immediate selection criteria: GPA is only 3.2 and I have a weird situation with the math requirement (I did very little math in college because I already did multivariable calculus in high school). My OR has indicated that I'm still a competitive candidate, but if I list Supply as my 4th or 5th choice, would it likely be an auto-reject anyways?

Re:IWC, my GPA is below average but my OAR is above average (79). My degree is in Computer Science (fitting the MCWO requirement) but I don't have much related work or leadership experience. My OR indicated that I'm a good candidate for CWO, MCWO, and IP, but from looking around on this forum I'm not so sure. In this situation, does it make sense to apply for multiple IWC designators, or should I narrow down my choices? E.g. do you think it would be better to have list like this:
#1 CWO, #2 Supply, #3 NFO
Or a list like this:
#1 CWO, #2 Intel, #3 MCWO, #4 Supply, #5 NFO
You really should figure out what interest you as the IWC designators, Supply and aviation are quite different.

If you don't meet the Supply math requirement per the PA I would skip it as it no longer says waivers are authorized, and if you did meet the requirement putting it anything other than 1 or 2 is essentially making it easy for them to reject you.

CW prefers the Calc and Physics series, it isn't required but often "preferred" on PA's mean you really should have it.

Even though your GPA is 3.2 you still have a chance as the average is 3.5 which means some will be higher and some lower.

Given what you have said I would go with MCWO, Intel and NFO (only if you really want aviation).

Also, the OAR just gets you to the board, it carries little if any weight at the board level, it is one of those things that can hurt you but not really help you.

aetolicus

You really should figure out what interest you as the IWC designators, Supply and aviation are quite different.

If you don't meet the Supply math requirement per the PA I would skip it as it no longer says waivers are authorized, and if you did meet the requirement putting it anything other than 1 or 2 is essentially making it easy for them to reject you.

CW prefers the Calc and Physics series, it isn't required but often "preferred" on PA's mean you really should have it.

Even though your GPA is 3.2 you still have a chance as the average is 3.5 which means some will be higher and some lower.

Given what you have said I would go with MCWO, Intel and NFO (only if you really want aviation).

Also, the OAR just gets you to the board, it carries little if any weight at the board level, it is one of those things that can hurt you but not really help you.
Fair enough. I'm aware these communities are all pretty different, but they each have aspects that interest me. If I was medically cleared and able to leave now I would've applied for NFO immediate selection, but since I'm waiting anyways, I figured I should consider the other communities.

With the math requirements for Supply and math preferences for CW (and IP) I'm still a bit confused. I have done the equivalent of a Calc 1-3 sequence in high school, because it was a prerequisite for admission for my undergrad. So the way my college saw it, there was no need for me to do calculus again. Would there be some way of explaining this on my application, or do I just have to accept that I don't meet the math standards for these designators?

exNavyOffRec

Fair enough. I'm aware these communities are all pretty different, but they each have aspects that interest me. If I was medically cleared and able to leave now I would've applied for NFO immediate selection, but since I'm waiting anyways, I figured I should consider the other communities.

With the math requirements for Supply and math preferences for CW (and IP) I'm still a bit confused. I have done the equivalent of a Calc 1-3 sequence in high school, because it was a prerequisite for admission for my undergrad. So the way my college saw it, there was no need for me to do calculus again. Would there be some way of explaining this on my application, or do I just have to accept that I don't meet the math standards for these designators?
Until you are medically cleared you can't apply for anything.

What a college will accept isn't the same as what the USN will accept, Supply is required, CW and IP are preferred. The below is from the new PA for Supply.

1711234364129.png

Will the SF-86 see my academic accommodations and will this be an issue? I technically had academic accommodations for a semester of college, however, this is not under the umbrella of a 504 or IEP, and it was not a work accommodation. It is technically a loophole around the situation because the wording doesn't explicitly ask for it. I asked my recruiter several times and he said I did not need to mention it. However, I am worried it will be caught on the SF-86, and that it will become an issue. I have never lied at any point. I am not sure what the best course of action is or who I would even talk to since my only point of contact has been this recruiter (I am in the process of getting a new recruiter).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Will the SF-86 see my academic accommodations and will this be an issue? I technically had academic accommodations for a semester of college, however, this is not under the umbrella of a 504 or IEP, and it was not a work accommodation. It is technically a loophole around the situation because the wording doesn't explicitly ask for it. I asked my recruiter several times and he said I did not need to mention it. However, I am worried it will be caught on the SF-86, and that it will become an issue. I have never lied at any point. I am not sure what the best course of action is or who I would even talk to since my only point of contact has been this recruiter (I am in the process of getting a new recruiter).

I’m curious why you think this would be an issue.

I’m curious why you think this would be an issue.
I am working on getting a waiver for adhd meds and the waiver form does ask for IEP, 504 and any work or academic accommodations, so I’m wondering if that is something I was supposed to be asked and was missed or something. Maybe I’m reading way too much into everything and being paranoid. I’m worried that if it does become an issue I would be bared from Military service entirely since I know being dishonest at MEPS is a major no-no.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am working on getting a waiver for adhd meds and the waiver form does ask for IEP, 504 and any work or academic accommodations, so I’m wondering if that is something I was supposed to be asked and was missed or something. Maybe I’m reading way too much into everything and being paranoid. I’m worried that if it does become an issue I would be bared from Military service entirely since I know being dishonest at MEPS is a major no-no.
MEPS will probably need to hear/see that, but in terms of an SF-86, that shouldn't impact getting a clearance.