• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Mouselovr

Contributor
Right, you can be medically DQ'd while waiting in student pool. Idk anyone that happened to, but you wouldn't be commissioned at that point so I would think you could just redes or DOR if that happened. DORing would be a terrible option if that were the case bc then you would've gone thru all of OCS for no reason and would be giving up a chance at a Navy career. Just my opinion tho
3 people DQed in my class in student pool. 2 were told at their flight physicals "you probably won't clear so prep for redes". 1 was completely out of left field.
Was this when OCS was in Pensacola? I'm glad it worked out for him tho
Had 2 more peers get DQed in Pensacola. Both were "weird" circumstances that should have never cleared out of student pool.
If you make it past NAMI in RI, unless you get in a bad accident, you should be fine.

exNavyOffRec

3 people DQed in my class in student pool. 2 were told at their flight physicals "you probably won't clear so prep for redes". 1 was completely out of left field.

Had 2 more peers get DQed in Pensacola. Both were "weird" circumstances that should have never cleared out of student pool.
If you make it past NAMI in RI, unless you get in a bad accident, you should be fine.
Yep, most that I know who were DQ in Pensacola were weird circumstances.

Weepandsweep

I filled out my sf86 and about a month after I went to MEPS. Now, I took adderall and had an academic accommodation in college (the accommodation was counseling through the university and I could take my exams a day early or late). However, I never had an IEP or 504 plan. I asked my recruiter about this and he said that it didn’t count and not to say anything about it whether on sf86 MEPS or anything because it’s nbd. I have come to realize that my recruiter is a little bit slimey and am switching recruiter but I’m worried this will bite me in the butt. Is there anything I can/should do? I’m going to also be applying to af ots and and really worried now.

exNavyOffRec

I filled out my sf86 and about a month after I went to MEPS. Now, I took adderall and had an academic accommodation in college (the accommodation was counseling through the university and I could take my exams a day early or late). However, I never had an IEP or 504 plan. I asked my recruiter about this and he said that it didn’t count and not to say anything about it whether on sf86 MEPS or anything because it’s nbd. I have come to realize that my recruiter is a little bit slimey and am switching recruiter but I’m worried this will bite me in the butt. Is there anything I can/should do? I’m going to also be applying to af ots and and really worried now.
If you were prescribed adderall it will probably pop in the new system MEPS uses, better for you to correct the issue than for them to bring it up.

It has been 3 weeks since I went to MEPS and I have heard nothing back. I sent my recruiter the additional documents he asked for a week ago to get my N33 but have heard nothing even as I have texted him asking. I honestly had a horrible MEPS experience due to both my recruiter and the MEPS personnel. I found out this week a Navy liaison was supposed to tell me at MEPS if I was DQed or not. The doctor told me I probably would be but the Navy people did not speak to me when I walked in and just told me to take my stuff and leave so I have no idea what is going on. I have since contacted another recruiter (as well as an AF recruiter since I am going to apply OTS and OCS) and both said they cannot really do anything until I get my MEPS info figured out. Any idea what I should do at this point?
Hopfully Mr. recruiter does not look at AirWarriors lol

exNavyOffRec

It has been 3 weeks since I went to MEPS and I have heard nothing back. I sent my recruiter the additional documents he asked for a week ago to get my N33 but have heard nothing even as I have texted him asking. I honestly had a horrible MEPS experience due to both my recruiter and the MEPS personnel. I found out this week a Navy liaison was supposed to tell me at MEPS if I was DQed or not. The doctor told me I probably would be but the Navy people did not speak to me when I walked in and just told me to take my stuff and leave so I have no idea what is going on. I have since contacted another recruiter (as well as an AF recruiter since I am going to apply OTS and OCS) and both said they cannot really do anything until I get my MEPS info figured out. Any idea what I should do at this point?
Hopfully Mr. recruiter does not look at AirWarriors lol
If you just sent the info a week ago I wouldn't expect an answer by now.

MEPS doesn't make the final determination on officer candidates but you still need to complete the process with them which is either PQ or DQ, if you were in between then your recruiter would be sending the info to MEPS to get a final answer from them, if MEPS DQ'd you then he would be sending the info to N33. The Navy Liaison at MEPS never told any of our candidates if they were PQ or not, as the final determination is from N33, at most they would tell the candidates they were complete with MEPS but in most cases they would refer them to their specific recruiter.

If you have yet to complete the process with MEPS and you talk to an AF recruiter who pulls your physical that will delay everything as then the physical "belongs" to the USAF and your USN recruiter cannot submit anything to be reviewed for your physical. If you have completed the process with MEPS then you were probably DQ at MEPS and your USN recruiter is getting info for N33 which could lead to them giving you a PQ, DQ or need further info. If that info means they need a consult for you that is set up through MEPS, which if the USAF recruiter has pulled your MEPS info creates another issue. You need to have a final determination from N33 before the USAF does anything.

If you just sent the info a week ago I wouldn't expect an answer by now.

MEPS doesn't make the final determination on officer candidates but you still need to complete the process with them which is either PQ or DQ, if you were in between then your recruiter would be sending the info to MEPS to get a final answer from them, if MEPS DQ'd you then he would be sending the info to N33. The Navy Liaison at MEPS never told any of our candidates if they were PQ or not, as the final determination is from N33, at most they would tell the candidates they were complete with MEPS but in most cases they would refer them to their specific recruiter.

If you have yet to complete the process with MEPS and you talk to an AF recruiter who pulls your physical that will delay everything as then the physical "belongs" to the USAF and your USN recruiter cannot submit anything to be reviewed for your physical. If you have completed the process with MEPS then you were probably DQ at MEPS and your USN recruiter is getting info for N33 which could lead to them giving you a PQ, DQ or need further info. If that info means they need a consult for you that is set up through MEPS, which if the USAF recruiter has pulled your MEPS info creates another issue. You need to have a final determination from N33 before the USAF does anything.
This is super helpful and makes everything make sense, thank you! The USAF recruiter has not pulled anything, we were waiting until all the USN waiver stuff was complete, and he had just asked me to keep him updated. Do you know how long N33 usually takes? What exactly is the N33?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

This is super helpful and makes everything make sense, thank you! The USAF recruiter has not pulled anything, we were waiting until all the USN waiver stuff was complete, and he had just asked me to keep him updated. Do you know how long N33 usually takes? What exactly is the N33?
N33 is the medical arm of Navy Recruiting. The length of time depends on what the waiver is for and if consults are needed, I saw some come through approved within a week and some due to consults can many weeks or even months, the longest I saw was almost a year.

Ninja

SNA Select
I went through meps in November but had taken adderall prior to going instead of after in your case. When the meps doctor pulled up my records in genesis I saw my adderall history immediately populate which scared the shit out of me. Thankfully, my provider added a note which was also pulled that pretty much said I 'only took it for a few months and it was determined I didn't have ADHD' so they stopped prescribing it. Idk if my meps doctor was 'bs-ing' me at all, but she said that note was the only reason I wasn't going to get DQ'd otherwise a waiver for even taking it once would've been required. Hopefully you'll be able to clear it up but I'd strongly recommend addressing it rather than sweeping it under the rug. I talked to one of the original system engineers for genesis a few months ago and while I wouldn't recommend lying, he pretty much said at this point the only way your records won't get seen by genesis is if the provider that gave it to you is in the middle of nowhere and does everything on paper. Plus, you would also have to be filling that prescription at a pharmacy which isn't in the national HIE (almost none fall into this). So based off my knowledge even if you make it pass sf86 and meps, they'd find the record during any sort of flight-physical whenever that may be.

Ninja

SNA Select
how far out from graduating with my bachelors can I apply to OTS? I can't get a definitive answer wether it is 6 or 12 months.
I’ve had someone disagree with me on this before but my recruiter said you can start working with a recruiter within two years of graduation but can only officially apply within12 months of expected grad.

exNavyOffRec

I’ve had someone disagree with me on this before but my recruiter said you can start working with a recruiter within two years of graduation but can only officially apply within12 months of expected grad.
You can meet with a recruiter at any time, but it does no good to work on anything/apply until you are within a year.

Ninja

SNA Select
how far out from graduating with my bachelors can I apply to OTS? I can't get a definitive answer whether it is 6 or 12 months.
If it helps, for context I’m graduating in June, applied for the 2024 April SNA board but only started talking to my recruiter in early October. So that gave me ~5 months from contact to submitting my package (still ample time if your recruiter is on top of things).