• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Mouselovr

Contributor
And what is someone’s options, if any, if you’ve reported to OCS to be a pilot but don’t pass the medical and can't get a waiver?
DOR or redesignate
If you want to stay, they'll let you.
If you don't, they'll let you walk.

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/ocs-student-pool-information-2022.48882/
"5. DQ’ed from aviation. Have to pick SWO or nothing at all…..?

AS OF EARLY 2022, SWO IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION. However, this is subject to change with needs of the navy. I did not see a single person redes to SWO during my time in student pool. I saw people offered IP, CRYPTO, INTEL, SEAL and AMDO."

exNavyOffRec

And what is someone’s options, if any, if you’ve reported to OCS to be a pilot but don’t pass the medical and can't get a waiver?

DOR or redesignate

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/ocs-student-pool-information-2022.48882/

AS OF EARLY 2022, SWO IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION. However, this is subject to change with needs of the navy. I did not see a single person redes to SWO during my time in student pool. I saw people offered IP, CRYPTO, INTEL, SEAL and AMDO."

Like @Mouselovr said it will change with the needs of the USN, sometimes it is from one class to another. There was for a long time where those that had to redesignate from aviation could easily go AMDO, then that shut off for a while, then it was a variety of options, there have been times where one class had all options and the next one due to changes in the USN was "SWO or go home". The most common ones are SWO and Supply, anything else would be getting really lucky.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
DOR or redesignate

I caught a glimpse of the redes binder while in student pool, and SEAL is the only one that wasn’t in there, so I don’t think it’s an option anymore. Other than that, yeah this is the full list of options, also Supply.

Additionally, the med liaisons will typically reach out if there are any problems. They’ll push for a redes package so there’s no time wasted in student pool waiting, but it’s ultimately the candidate’s decision.

I know several people who DOR’d right after finding out they were DQ’d during the first week; some didn’t even know for sure, they were just told it would be tough to get approved. Everyone has their reasons

Mouselovr

Contributor
I caught a glimpse of the redes binder while in student pool, and SEAL is the only one that wasn’t in there, so I don’t think it’s an option anymore.
I've touched on the SEAL redes a couple of times on the forum.
It was right place, at the right time. He was functionally NAMI DQed at the front door then we went through OCS with some well-connected prior spec ops guys who took a liking to him. Some phone calls were made and he was allowed to go to SOAS from there.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
I've touched on the SEAL redes a couple of times on the forum.
It was right place, at the right time. He was functionally NAMI DQed at the front door then we went through OCS with some well-connected prior spec ops guys who took a liking to him. Some phone calls were made and he was allowed to go to SOAS from there.
That’s quite the story, glad it worked out for him!

Mouselovr

Contributor
That’s quite the story, glad it worked out for him!
We have another peer who DOR'ed way later (out of primary) and wanted to go direct to the SEALs. The SEALs wanted him but Big Navy said no, he needed to earn a warfare pin in a community and then lat transfer as he's already commissioned.

Lesson here is try to get what you want coming out of Newport because once you're commissioned, it makes it more complicated. And be lucky.

But sounds like DOR has always been an option. Being 28 with an actual civilian career, I’m strictly applying to be a pilot without any other interests in the Navy, at least for now. So I have a career to fall back on if they find something in the medical that I’d rather continue to pursue if flying doesn’t work out. Anyone know the point of no return? I’m assuming if they find something post OCS graduation then I’d have to redes at that point and cant DOR?

exNavyOffRec

But sounds like DOR has always been an option. Being 28 with an actual civilian career, I’m strictly applying to be a pilot without any other interests in the Navy, at least for now. So I have a career to fall back on if they find something in the medical that I’d rather continue to pursue if flying doesn’t work out. Anyone know the point of no return? I’m assuming if they find something post OCS graduation then I’d have to redes at that point and cant DOR?
I have not heard of a case of a person not being able to DOR from OCS.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
DOR is always an option at OCS, and they make that very clear every morning at squadron PT.

To answer your question, if you graduate and make it to Pensacola and you get attrited for any reason, you will have to redesignate to something else. If it happens at OCS, you are more than welcome to DOR.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
You’ll either re-designate or leave. And by the point you find that out you’ll likely be many weeks into OCS just heads up.
It’s also possible that people can end up in student pool after graduating bc of how long their cases take to be reviewed. Some guys from my class were in student pool for a month and a half-ish before they got down here

jacobsolo

It’s also possible that people can end up in student pool after graduating bc of how long their cases take to be reviewed. Some guys from my class were in student pool for a month and a half-ish before they got down here
Very true but I think he was asking in the case that you’re medically DQd.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
Very true but I think he was asking in the case that you’re medically DQd.
Right, you can be medically DQ'd while waiting in student pool. Idk anyone that happened to, but you wouldn't be commissioned at that point so I would think you could just redes or DOR if that happened. DORing would be a terrible option if that were the case bc then you would've gone thru all of OCS for no reason and would be giving up a chance at a Navy career. Just my opinion tho

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Right, you can be medically DQ'd while waiting in student pool. Idk anyone that happened to, but you wouldn't be commissioned at that point so I would think you could just redes or DOR if that happened. DORing would be a terrible option if that were the case bc then you would've gone thru all of OCS for no reason and would be giving up a chance at a Navy career. Just my opinion tho
I had a person DOR down in Pensacola, his back became an issue and he was DQ aviation so he decided to go home, he flies the big jets now.