• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've read that alarm clocks are authorized. I'm going to assume that's true, but only after Indoc week. My time at VT showed me that the breakdown phase of military training is best done when none of the candidates (in my case, cadets) have a freaking clue what time it is.

Correct assumption?

A non-radio alarm clock IS permitted from day 0 on and, moreso, is REQUIRED. You need to be up WELL before Reveille, and that is how you do it. Looking at your alarm clock in the morning is one of the only (or possibly the only) time you'll know what time it is during the day until well into OCS.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
A non-radio alarm clock IS permitted from day 0 on and, moreso, is REQUIRED. You need to be up WELL before Reveille, and that is how you do it. Looking at your alarm clock in the morning is one of the only (or possibly the only) time you'll know what time it is during the day until well into OCS.

Thanks.

I just realized you changed names...I was wondering what happened to you.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Thanks.

I just realized you changed names...I was wondering what happened to you.

He got choppers. He didn't want to explain what Bogey Spotter meant 5 years from now when he's extolling the virtues of the rotary wing world to newbs.

"Choppers were always my first choice!!":D

nugget61

pilot
So this may seem off the wall, but if you require glasses to get to 20/20, do they make you wear them at OCS if you don't want to? ( I don't like to wear them when I'm working out ).

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
So this may seem off the wall, but if you require glasses to get to 20/20, do they make you wear them at OCS if you don't want to? ( I don't like to wear them when I'm working out ).

No one cares if you wear glasses or not. What's more, you will be known as "Portholes" for several weeks if you choose to wear glasses (as opposed to "thing" if you do without). My vision is around 20/40 so they gave me BCGs. After our first run, which was around 30 minutes and it was kind of humid (August), I couldn't see sh!t so I put my glasses on my head...bad idea. Never wore them again.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

I am 20/25 and 20/40 and when I got my flight physical at NAMI, the doc said, "Do you wear glasses normally?" I gave a hearty "No, sir!" and he said 'Good. I'm not going to make you wear those horrid things if you don't need them. Come back after you commission and we'll get you some normal looking glasses if you want".

I could see fine without them, so although I "required them", the doc let me go without em.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I am 20/25 and 20/40 and when I got my flight physical at NAMI, the doc said, "Do you wear glasses normally?" I gave a hearty "No, sir!" and he said 'Good. I'm not going to make you wear those horrid things if you don't need them. Come back after you commission and we'll get you some normal looking glasses if you want".

I could see fine without them, so although I "required them", the doc let me go without em.

Un-confuse me. NAMI physical for me will be in Newport, not P'Cola? Or are there two gauntlets I have to run?

Edit: please, sir.

nugget61

pilot
Thanks for the gouge y'all. So neither of you had trouble seeing anything in the classes? (Thats the only environment that I can imagine I would want the glasses, but I can probably squint my way though that if need be)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Thanks for the gouge y'all. So neither of you had trouble seeing anything in the classes? (Thats the only environment that I can imagine I would want the glasses, but I can probably squint my way though that if need be)

brought the glasses to class in my briefcase in case I needed them, but I think I only used them like once.

Also, yes, you'll have to do a flight physical in Newport and another one in Pcola, unless something has changed since last August.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
brought the glasses to class in my briefcase in case I needed them, but I think I only used them like once.

Also, yes, you'll have to do a flight physical in Newport and another one in Pcola, unless something has changed since last August.

What if a waiverable medical issue arises at Newport? Will they let you continue OCS? Note that I'm BDCP. By that I mean not something that prevents you from serving, but rather something that would specifically affect your ability to be a pilot.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
What if a waiverable medical issue arises at Newport? Will they let you continue OCS? Note that I'm BDCP. By that I mean not something that prevents you from serving, but rather something that would specifically affect your ability to be a pilot.
If you do not meet medical standards due to an issue that requires a medical waiver, then you may not receive an upchit. An upchit means you are physically fit to train. If you have the upchit you stay with your class. If you do not then you are sent to H. Most people stay with their class and find out their medical fate later down the road (like 4-12 weeks laters). I received my waiver to be a pilot on the day before graduation. Some people find out their waiver is denied 8 weeks down the road.

As with most things about Navy, don't worry about it now because there is nothing you can do about it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

I have 20/40 left and 20/50 right. I didn't wear glasses prior to OCS, and made it through the program without. Only time I had any sort of issues was when we became secured and I had to tell the difference between a chief and an officer in Khakis outdoors. Seeing in classes is not an issue; they use powerpoints on huge projectors, and you can just sit up front if you have any further issues than that.

I had to go for an eye re-exam at about week 9, and they actually issued me BCGs at that time. I never wore them.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have 20/40 left and 20/50 right. I didn't wear glasses prior to OCS, and made it through the program without. Only time I had any sort of issues was when we became secured and I had to tell the difference between a chief and an officer in Khakis outdoors. Seeing in classes is not an issue; they use powerpoints on huge projectors, and you can just sit up front if you have any further issues than that.

I had to go for an eye re-exam at about week 9, and they actually issued me BCGs at that time. I never wore them.

If he can stay awake, I'll be impressed, let alone if he is awake long enough to decide to go to the front to see better. It was only a matter of time before everyone made the rotation to the back of the classroom to PT... :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

The guy with the coffee cup is the Chief.:D