• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Tom

pilot
Contributor
My shoes for inspection were never worn. Sure, a DI may understand dirty shoes but don't give them the opportunity to give you a hit. In addition to my inspection pair I also went through 4 other pairs of running shoes. PT'ing with worn out shoes is one way to injury yourself. Everything differs though with each person. Set yourself up for success and make sure you have an extra pair squirreled away in your car.

Prior preflight planning prevents piss poor performance.

WIDGET

you might want to bring 2 pairs and buy one for RLP when you get there. walking around in wet shoes all day is a foot fungus's dream. you'll learn later to walk around the p-ways a bit (in the RLP pair) so they're not as shiny as your belt buckles. some DI's don't like it if you display new shoes. bottom line: bring at least two pairs to prevent athlete's foot on rainy days.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Our class wore cadillacs from the day we got them. Running shoes were only for PT or sweepers. Thats probably why I only needed one pair.

WIDGET

oh wow. we didn't get them until after 4th week RLP. Our DI didn't want us to scuff them up before the inspection. Did you have to buy a second pair of cadillacs?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
oh wow. we didn't get them until after 4th week RLP. Our DI didn't want us to scuff them up before the inspection. Did you have to buy a second pair of cadillacs?

Nope. You learn to polish shoes. You should not buy a 2nd pair of shoes or sneakers for RLP unless they are unusable anyway.

As far as inserts go, learn this phrase well: read the OCR. That is the governing document for what candidates can and cannot have, do, or whatever. And as far as the OCR says, inserts are allowed. Some parts of the OCR can be over-ridden by the staff, but I think they understand that some people have foot issues where they'd need insoles. Besides, if you never ask, then you can never be told no.

WIDGET

is that what those guys were doing to their cadillacs?? shining them?
i guess we just have different takes. running shoes don't go bad in their box. i'm currently using the ones i had originally bought for RLP. i didn't get any hits on the shoes. as Tom said, "don't give them the opportunity to give you a hit." why would you want to waste time cleaning a pair of dirty goose-poop sneakers instead of just buying them from the NEX and use that time IPing instead?
as for our class, everyone had a mostly unused pair of shoes set aside for RLP, along with all the never-been-worn PT gear and kahkis.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Nope. You learn to polish shoes. You should not buy a 2nd pair of shoes or sneakers for RLP unless they are unusable anyway.

As far as inserts go, learn this phrase well: read the OCR. That is the governing document for what candidates can and cannot have, do, or whatever. And as far as the OCR says, inserts are allowed. Some parts of the OCR can be over-ridden by the staff, but I think they understand that some people have foot issues where they'd need insoles. Besides, if you never ask, then you can never be told no.

Yeah RIGHT. Our OCR in Pcola told us all about chow hall procedures, yet we weren't allowed to even SIT DOWN at chow until week 7 and then it was only for the last 5 minutes.

The OCR also told us we got 7 hours of sleep. I know people in my class remember what happened when some smartass told our chief this fact....:icon_rage

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Like I said, some parts can be over-ridden, but my point is that you can't get in trouble for following it if the class team hasn't told you otherwise. Hell, even the black ninja was big on following the OCR, and he's arguably the toughest DI there. As for sleep: were lights out between taps and reveille? The OCR says that candidates shall be in their racks from taps to reveille; it does not say anything about how many hours of sleep you will get. If you choose to break the rules and stay up past taps, that's your own fault.

Perhaps other class teams are different, but ours was very big on going back to the black and white print when it came to rules. Came in handy come dining out.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Like I said, some parts can be over-ridden, but my point is that you can't get in trouble for following it if the class team hasn't told you otherwise. Hell, even the black ninja was big on following the OCR, and he's arguably the toughest DI there. As for sleep: were lights out between taps and reveille? The OCR says that candidates shall be in their racks from taps to reveille; it does not say anything about how many hours of sleep you will get. If you choose to break the rules and stay up past taps, that's your own fault.

Perhaps other class teams are different, but ours was very big on going back to the black and white print when it came to rules. Came in handy come dining out.

Magic hours are one thing, but when your class team makes your entire class write out chow hall procedures 4 times (takes each person 2 hours average for one copy) due the next morning at reveille, then they are KNOWINGLY making you stay up past taps. That's just how it is, but some enterprising candidate decided to tell our chief that the OCR states we need to be in our racks from taps to reveille so that the chow hall procedures assignment was unfair and not allowed.

We got less than 3 hours of sleep each night besides saturday night for the first 5 weeks or so.

WIDGET

OCR 3-2:
"Sleep. Candidates will have uninterrupted sleep between the hours of TAPS and reveille, except for watches, fire drills, approved liberty and authorized searches."

it doesn't say it will provide you with the opportunity. it says you'll have it.

nugget81

pilot
OCR 3-2:
"Sleep. Candidates will have uninterrupted sleep between the hours of TAPS and reveille, except for watches, fire drills, approved liberty and authorized searches."

it doesn't say it will provide you with the opportunity. it says you'll have it.

WTF? You loved OCS so much you kept an OCR for yourself? :banghead_

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I still use my cadillacs (well not lately, since I have my boots on the ship) and I still have my running shoes. A little polish is all you need for the caddys.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Mine got so scuffed up and killed my knees, so I opted to buy a new pair of bates lites at the end of OCS. The decision to do so was based about 90% on better comfort and 10% on the fact that they were scuffed a little.

WIDGET

heck yeah we have an OCR! actually, it belongs to my roommates. they like to call attention on deck for themselves when they come home.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
So how, exactly, does one tie one's shoes "inboard over outboard?"