• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

BroskiOCS

As far as my class, there were a handful of available Hawaii billets. The number increased during the time I was at OCS too, I don't know for how long that uptick will be in place.
The SWOs generally decide amongst themselves in the classes to give first picks to folks with families and priors. That's up to your classes specifically, so don't expect it, but it's a consideration that often happens. I've only seen 1 prior in the 9 months I was there not get what they wanted. He got Norfolk when he wanted San Diego.
Awesome, that's great info! I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

tomachuck

Currently awaiting my FINSEL and class date for SWO. I'm active duty stationed in Hawaii. As my family is already out here (and I hear SWO reports directly to their first ship), I'd like to get stationed back out here. I know orders always change but did any recent SWO OCS graduates see Hawaii as an option when choosing orders? San Diego would be my second choice.

They pipeline is now open for SWO's SWOS on face book as posted about the first class just graduating this last month.

BroskiOCS

They pipeline is now open for SWO's SWOS on face book as posted about the first class just graduating this last month.
Can you clarify your statement? When you say the pipeline is open do you mean they are sending SWO's straight to BDOC upon OCS graduation?

flgator92

None
Currently awaiting my FINSEL and class date for SWO. I'm active duty stationed in Hawaii. As my family is already out here (and I hear SWO reports directly to their first ship), I'd like to get stationed back out here. I know orders always change but did any recent SWO OCS graduates see Hawaii as an option when choosing orders? San Diego would be my second choice.
As far as my class, there were a handful of available Hawaii billets. The number increased during the time I was at OCS too, I don't know for how long that uptick will be in place.
The SWOs generally decide amongst themselves in the classes to give first picks to folks with families and priors. That's up to your classes specifically, so don't expect it, but it's a consideration that often happens. I've only seen 1 prior in the 9 months I was there not get what they wanted. He got Norfolk when he wanted San Diego.
Like GlassBanger said, same with my class also. There were a handful of Hawaii billets. Priors did get some priority in selection, if I remember correctly- but that was a while ago and I'm not a SWO, so I can't speak to that with 100 percent certainty.

BroskiOCS

Like GlassBanger said, same with my class also. There were a handful of Hawaii billets. Priors did get some priority in selection, if I remember correctly- but that was a while ago and I'm not a SWO, so I can't speak to that with 100 percent certainty.
Cool bro. Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping to hear. Again, I know it's needs of the Navy at the time I'm there but wanted to make sure Hawaii was at least an option. Heard that not every type of ship is available to 1st tour SWOs so just checking on location. Thanks again!

tomachuck

Cool bro. Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping to hear. Again, I know it's needs of the Navy at the time I'm there but wanted to make sure Hawaii was at least an option. Heard that not every type of ship is available to 1st tour SWOs so just checking on location. Thanks again!

I urge you to check out PERS-41 page and see the info they have it would answer 99% of your questions I’ve seen you have. I’d type it all here but it’s a lot.

LoLo

Clown
Hello all,
I've asked my recruiter this, but have not received a straight answer yet, so I figured expanding the scope wouldn't hurt.

So...StUPid qUeSTiONS:
For any OCS grad out there who was a prior-E, and went on to commission under the caveats needed for the "0-1E" paygrade-- What was your desginated pay during OCS?
More specifically, I've already been told I would qualify for the OE bracket upon commission, but will I be looking at E-5 pay for those 12 weeks and then the O-1E?
Or, is there a bigger catch like having a certain amount of time in service before unlocking (for a lack of better words) the perks of O-1E + BAH/BAS?

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

flgator92

None
Hello all,
I've asked my recruiter this, but have not received a straight answer yet, so I figured expanding the scope wouldn't hurt.

So...StUPid qUeSTiONS:
For any OCS grad out there who was a prior-E, and went on to commission under the caveats needed for the "0-1E" paygrade-- What was your desginated pay during OCS?
More specifically, I've already been told I would qualify for the OE bracket upon commission, but will I be looking at E-5 pay for those 12 weeks and then the O-1E?
Or, is there a bigger catch like having a certain amount of time in service before unlocking (for a lack of better words) the perks of O-1E + BAH/BAS?

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
If you're active duty and your paygrade > E-5, you receive your current paygrade while aboard OTCN. If not, you're paid E-5 with some exceptions (like if you're a Nuke you can be E-6 or E-7 depending on your program). Upon successful completion of OCS and commissioning as an Officer in the Regular Navy you'll receive a paygrade of O-1; those who currently have > 4 years service in an E paygrade are entitled to receiving O-1E pay and allowances upon commissioning as an Officer in the Regular Navy. Hope that helps.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
All SWOs are getting orders to BDOC before reporting to their ships.

BSchroth

How does the bathroom/shower situation work. Are we allowed to keep things in the shower or should we buy a shower bag that we can take in/out each day?

Meyerkord

pilot
How does the bathroom/shower situation work. Are we allowed to keep things in the shower or should we buy a shower bag that we can take in/out each day?
Definitely don't leave extra stuff in the bathroom, and make sure your toilet paper is folded properly and the toilet seat is up. If not, expect to have your toilet paper scattered across your room when you get back.

As for the shower, you can leave your laundry bag and towel in there, but I'd be hesitant leaving anything in the actual shower like shampoo or soap. Just leave it in your locker and bring out before you take your shower.

You don't really need to buy a whole shower bag, since the shower is located within your room, but you can buy one if you want to. I just had a bar of soap and a razor.