• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

flgator92

None
Didn’t see this anywhere, but are we able to put personally owned weapons (ie - my P320/M17) in the armory there in Newport? I have no good place easily available to store it for while I’m up there. I know there would be a number of hoops to get it ready to go but just want to see if anyone had any experience or has heard of anyone who has done this.
My reading of 5530.7C is that you'd need prior approval for this by NAVSTA Newport CO, not the OTCN CO or any other tenant command. That may be hard to do. The path of least resistance, I think, is to find someone to store your guns until you leave OCS, or rent a small storage unit to keep them in -those are often pretty inexpensive. The staff in Newport, generally, are pretty reasonable, though. If you explain your situation to them, they may be able to accommodate you.

Rockriver

pilot
Look, I’ve got a pistol in and concealed carry for DC. I’m trying to store it safely and responsibly. There aren’t a lot of good options around here for keeping my guns. Just looking for options.
I suspect a firearms dealer in the area might store it for you for a few dollars each month. Other options include a safe deposit box or even a mini-storage warehouse.

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Concealed carry is now shall issue in DC.

Gilbert indoor shooting range in Rockville has firearms storage options. No ammo allowed though.

Ditto this. I'd ask around at the local ranges. They should be able to securely hold your handgun while you're away. That avenue is way more secure than a storage unit.

kbal731

I'm not completely versed in MD handgun laws but I believe you'd need an Handgun license so you being a DC resident they might give you flak about that. I'd also be wary of storing in MD given there was hefty gun store robbery in Rockville less than a month ago. I'd suggest Northern VA for storage.

StevenNRA

I'm not completely versed in MD handgun laws but I believe you'd need an Handgun license so you being a DC resident they might give you flak about that. I'd also be wary of storing in MD given there was hefty gun store robbery in Rockville less than a month ago. I'd suggest Northern VA for storage.

My understanding as a DC resident is that the MD HQL is for the purchase/rent of handguns as an MD resident.

If DC resident, you can bring firearms into MD provided you comply with FOPA. I'm sure there are other regs to be aware of.

katie182

No, there's no way to tell ahead of time, but most of the time, you'll see cruisers or destroyers in Norfolk or San Diego, with maybe 1 or 2 in Japan and 1 or 2 amphibs. If you want Norfolk, the chances are high that you'll get it. But with anything else in the Navy, it could change at any time.

I'm assuming when you say "workout" you don't just mean PT in the morning. Battle Stations was probably the most exhausting because it's literally all day long. You have other evolutions that are high intensity like RLP, fast cruise, etc, but those are over with fairly quickly.

What is battle stations?

katie182

Perfect! Thank you for the quick response, as well! I am not prior military- is there anything that I could do to prepare for that prior to going to OCS?
Again, thank you!

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Perfect! Thank you for the quick response, as well! I am not prior military- is there anything that I could do to prepare for that prior to going to OCS?
Again, thank you!
Battle Stations is truly the least of your concern at this point in your journey. Just commit your all and don't quit no matter how much OCS sucks and you'll be fine.
Edit: have grit and heart.

BroskiOCS

Currently awaiting my FINSEL and class date for SWO. I'm active duty stationed in Hawaii. As my family is already out here (and I hear SWO reports directly to their first ship), I'd like to get stationed back out here. I know orders always change but did any recent SWO OCS graduates see Hawaii as an option when choosing orders? San Diego would be my second choice.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
As far as my class, there were a handful of available Hawaii billets. The number increased during the time I was at OCS too, I don't know for how long that uptick will be in place.
The SWOs generally decide amongst themselves in the classes to give first picks to folks with families and priors. That's up to your classes specifically, so don't expect it, but it's a consideration that often happens. I've only seen 1 prior in the 9 months I was there not get what they wanted. He got Norfolk when he wanted San Diego.