• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

flgator92

None
This is exactly what we were told it would consist of as well when we were there.
Yep...after reading that, I remember my class officer talking about this. It seems like it'll disrupt the current flow in training, but I'm sure it'll be worked out.

huskybiz

I tried doing a search but could not find an answer and my CCC also did not have an answer.

If you go from enlisted to ocs and eventually an officer what happens to the leave you accrued as an enlisted member?

savagers33

Savage33
I tried doing a search but could not find an answer and my CCC also did not have an answer.

If you go from enlisted to ocs and eventually an officer what happens to the leave you accrued as an enlisted member?
I would think it would continue as normal. There is no break in service.

Reactions: PD_

AULANI

Each day of leave earned as an enlisted sailor counts towards alcoholic beverages that the other members of the wardroom have to supply to you. Make sure you bring this up when you check in to your first command.

Last edited:

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Stupid question: Are transition lenses for prescription glasses acceptable at any point during OCS training?
Thank you in advance.

Cant say yes or no 100% (ask your OR) but probably.

My real contribution is that one indoc showed up with only contacts and his prescription sunglasses. Contacts were a no go at the time (probably still are) so he wore the shades day and night for like a week until his family mailed his regular specs.

If I were you I wouldent trust a set of transitions to quickly go clear when you're navigating the first few steps off the QD in Nimitz or the chow hall...

flgator92

None
Stupid question: Are transition lenses for prescription glasses acceptable at any point during OCS training?
Thank you in advance.
We had this situation occur in my class: one candidate had transition lenses in his eyeglasses and he didn't wear that pair until candio phase. I don't know if he was explicitly not allowed or just didn't want to get those expensive glasses damaged. Either way, be careful what you bring. Get a cheaper pair of eyeglasses for training. Those glasses are very likely going to be scratched, dirtied or damaged at some point throughout training. Be careful.

SilverSierra

Future SWO
We had this situation occur in my class: one candidate had transition lenses in his eyeglasses and he didn't wear that pair until candio phase. I don't know if he was explicitly not allowed or just didn't want to get those expensive glasses damaged. Either way, be careful what you bring. Get a cheaper pair of eyeglasses for training. Those glasses are very likely going to be scratched, dirtied or damaged at some point throughout training. Be careful.

This was more along the lines of my thinking. I will be bringing a clear pair with a replacement warranty as well as my transition lenses. Also will have additional contacts for the latter phase of training, any liberty opportunities, and perhaps for graduation. I really loathe both options (only been wearing glasses for a couple of years now.) I will probably opt for LASIK surgery as soon as it becomes available to me in the future, whether or not I could get the Navy to pay or it.
Thank you both for your replies. I am leaving this Saturday for OCS and am just running any and ever scenario I could think of through my head.

LoLo

Clown
I thought I'd ask a stupid question, given the title of this thread. The OCS website says that all students with spouses need to bring the marriage certificate, the spouse's drivers license/passport, and the spouse's birth certificate & social security card. Since I don't want to leave my wife unable to drive or travel abroad, how does one go about obtaining a court certified copy? When I google "court certified copy" I come up with results about how to get copies of court documents.

My recruiter mentioned that I could get a copy from the recruiting office, but since the website says that NRD copies will not be accepted I'm not inclined to think that's right. But if someone has had that work I'd love to hear about it.

View attachment 19434

I have not found a straight answer to the question quoted above, so I wanted to bring it back up in the hopes of gaining a little more insight.
My wife will be out of the country on business, shortly after I am supposed to check into OTCN.
While I am aware that getting her documents validated and put into DEERS will take less than 10 minutes, and be given back to me to mail out-- I don't want to run the chance of having her passport not make it back to our home of record in time for her flight.

So, could anyone who's had a similar experience, or been through the process of obtaining "Court Certified" copies before, care to elaborate on the process? Please and thank you!

flgator92

None
I have not found a straight answer to the question quoted above, so I wanted to bring it back up in the hopes of gaining a little more insight.
My wife will be out of the country on business, shortly after I am supposed to check into OTCN.
While I am aware that getting her documents validated and put into DEERS will take less than 10 minutes, and be given back to me to mail out-- I don't want to run the chance of having her passport not make it back to our home of record in time for her flight.

So, could anyone who's had a similar experience, or been through the process of obtaining "Court Certified" copies before, care to elaborate on the process? Please and thank you!
Worst thing that could happen is you bring a court certified (notarized?) copy of the passport and the DEERS people don't take it so there's a slight delay in getting her into DEERS. So, it's either (1) she pushes back her flight so you know, for sure, you can get her the DEERS benefits she's entitled to; or (2) you take a certified copy and cross your fingers that they accept it aboard OTCN. I'm not sure there's a better answer-- it's whatever you feel comfortable with given the risk of not getting her in DEERS.

flgator92

None

Question regarding dress shoes at OCS. I have a pair of corfam shoes that are approved to be worn in uniform when I was enlisted a few years. Are they allowed at to be worn at OCS?

(https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Mens-High-Gloss-Uniform/dp/B00814TW9C ) similar to what i have
High gloss shoes are NOT authorized aboard OTCN. Unfortunately, you have to shine your issued black shoes yourself. :(

AULANI

You don't have to use a passport. You can use a marriage certificate.

megxbow123

Does anyone know what is up with the Mission of the NAVY on the updated 2018 version of Appendix B?? The one that is currently on the OCS official website... It differs greatly from the Mission of the NAVY that is on the 2017 Appendix B... I tried looking it up to see it the NAVY changed their mission statement, but it doesnt seem like they have... they still have to older one on their websites! So why does this current 2018 Appendix B have a changed Mission Statement....

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!