• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Would a CVN-CO have promotion priority over a CAG for flag rank? And does making Air Boss mean you no longer have any real promotion potential?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Would a CVN-CO have promotion priority over a CAG for flag rank? And does making Air Boss mean you no longer have any real promotion potential?
Air Boss will probably make Captain.

CVN CO and CAG are equally competitive for flag.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Air Boss will probably make Captain.

CVN CO and CAG are equally competitive for flag.

In the same vein, are aviators and FOs equally competitive for CVN CO or CAG? Is the balance tipped in one direction or the other for FOs or aviators (i.e. are there more aviators as CVN CO/more FOs as CAG)?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There are more NAs than NFOs in the Navy so I would venture to guess there are more CVN COs and CAGs from the NA ranks. But there is no specifically assigned ratio. They are competitive assignments based on performance. So theoretically, any given NFO is equally competitive with any given NA for either assignment.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Is it possible for non-tailhookers to work their way in to CVN CO positions and CAG?

Also while you are working as CAG are you allowed/qualified to fly all the aircraft in your air wing?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it possible for non-tailhookers to work their way in to CVN CO positions and CAG?

Also while you are working as CAG are you allowed/qualified to fly all the aircraft in your air wing?

Yes, no. There have been CVN CO's who weren't tailhookers, though they almost always are, but not as CAG.*

* - Granted, it's pretty much impossible to say something's never happened in the Navy because there's always someone who "knew this guy once who..." etc. I've never heard of it, and I can't see a non-tailhooker commanding a Carrier Air Wing any more than I can see a Hornet guy commanding a VP or helo Wing.

CAG's are expected to qualify and fly with every squadron in their air wing. How much they qualify and how much the fly depends on the CAG. Some make a point to fly a lot with everybody. Some tend to fly almost exclusively with the airplane type they flew in the Fleet.

MasterBates

Are CAGs exempt from the "no more than 2 NATOPS quals" rule?

I was NATOPS qualed in the T-34C and SH-60B at the same time (basically, my last 60B check had not expired yet) but I would have had to let one go if I got NATOPS qualed in the T-44. (no NATOPS qual, I did the standard student SFS bit in the 44)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are CAGs exempt from the "no more than 2 NATOPS quals" rule?

I was NATOPS qualed in the T-34C and SH-60B at the same time (basically, my last 60B check had not expired yet) but I would have had to let one go if I got NATOPS qualed in the T-44. (no NATOPS qual, I did the standard student SFS bit in the 44)

What's the reference on that rule?

Brett

MasterBates

I thought it was buried in the bowels of 3710, I had head a couple TPS guys say it comes up as an issue up at TPS (I think they get waivers, it was a couple years back, can't remember that well).

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
If you were a prior enlisted aircrewman, is it true that you do not have to do the mile swim again during API? If that is true, what other things are excluded? I heard the phys stuff was mostly the same that I went through in NACCS, and in some cases, exactly repeating "Disney Week" and "Hell Week". Any truth to these rumors?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No more than two (2) concurrent quals ... ???

Mebbe that's a 'recent' development as two of my CAGs were NATOPS qualed in at least three (3) types at once ...

Heck, I was NATOPS qualed in two at once, pluse three (3) birds in airline-civie'-street ... five (5:eek:) concurrent NATOPS/civie' equivalent quals at once ...

I was an accident waiting to happen ... fortunately, that accident didn't. :)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I call BS, unless she is a reporter or some kind of celebrity I doubt that she got to go up. They do incentive flights for reporters and celebrities but in my time I have not known any spouses or other civilian family members that got to go up in a Tacair jet.

I was thinking this as well (not that I have much for experience). I think everyone that goes up in any ejection seat aircraft would have to go through all of the training and get certified prior to a 'ride' as well... Another large reason this probably isn't very feasible/likely.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought it was buried in the bowels of 3710, I had head a couple TPS guys say it comes up as an issue up at TPS (I think they get waivers, it was a couple years back, can't remember that well).

I've never even heard of that. I've been dual qualled for the last year and no one said a peep. Guys are qualed in the B/F/H/S all the time, right?

MasterBates

I was dual qualed at one point, but no longer. (actually, I don't have a current NATOPS qual in anything at the moment) but I do remember this being a point of "knowledges" brought up at some point in HSL Land.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I have a question. The whole "tailhook" thing of the cover. I sometimes see other SNA's do it and was wondering if that would be frowned upon. Is it reserved strictly for the tailhook community or winged aviators?

Status
Not open for further replies.