• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
comment and a question

Strange because I would imagine having amphibs in the fleet would be as (if not more) important to our current geopolitical situation than having the large and expensive CVNs. You can land quick response forces and have air support for small-scale operations with the amphibs, while having the CVNs requires a much more cumbersome operation, including the lack of a direct landing capability. It seems like we'd have more use for amphibs than we currently do for the larger carriers.

As for contributing to my "Stupid Question" ... do pilots ever get the opportunity to bring family or friends into the planes? I would imagine if you fly a single-seater you wouldn't, but I've always been curious about it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
As for contributing to my "Stupid Question" ... do pilots ever get the opportunity to bring family or friends into the planes? I would imagine if you fly a single-seater you wouldn't, but I've always been curious about it.

Depends on what you mean by bring them into the planes. I've shown my family around the aircraft that I fly, let them climb in and check the stuff out. As for flying them around, it may be possible it's not entirely common. It would depend a lot on your skipper, timing, etc.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was still inside the Beltway when the TACAIR Integration Plan unfolded that resulted in Marine Hornet squadrons being permanently part of Carrier Air Wings. It wasn't so much politics at all. in fact, Marine Corps was not happy about it, but Navy simply did not have enough Hornet squadrons to flesh out their Air Wings and pressured Marines to help out. It has always been a contentious subject and the advent of the F-35B will cause it to be revisited. There have been suggestions that Marines operate some F-35C variants for the Carrier commitment and Navy operate some F-35Bs for their expeditionary commitments. Marines have yet to come off their 100% F-35B force composition so there you have it. Stay tuned for more developments.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for flying them around, it may be possible it's not entirely common. It would depend a lot on your skipper, timing, etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that giving your family members a joy ride is strictly prohibited. I can't imagine a set of circumstances where this would be legit.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's done on occasion during Jane Wayne days, and all the appropriate paperwork/approval is in order before they step foot on the helo.

Do enlighten us. I'm having a hard time reconciling our leadership's risk averse mindset with any perceived benefit of doing something like this. Can you imagine the field day the press would have if there were a mishap? It must be a Marine thing. I know we operate by the same rules, but I've never, ever heard of such a thing in any of my three Navy aircraft communities.

Brett

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
We have spouses day down here in TW6, and the ladies get to fly in the jump seat in the T-1. Sadly, very few take the opportunity....and that's an AETC asset too. I was very surprised when I first heard about it too. Thought that had long since gone.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Do enlighten us. I'm having a hard time reconciling our leadership's risk averse mindset with any perceived benefit of doing something like this. Can you imagine the field day the press would have if there were a mishap? It must be a Marine thing. I know we operate by the same rules, but I've never, ever heard of such a thing in any of my three Navy aircraft communities.

Brett

I was told this happened to the Army about 15 years back or so, the officers involved did not fare well. They took their significant others up for a flight and crashed. Both pilot and copilot survived to be court marshaled is what I was told.

I've had a couple flights back when I was working with Army programs,(work related) had to sign my rights away in event of accident, also had to sign that my wife would not be able to pursue the government.

nugget61

pilot
Super as in Rhino?

Brett

Yes, sorry for that.
She had no reason to be there other than a pure joy flight, shes not in the military. Dunno how she could have gotten the rules bent for her.
Out of curiosity, do single control 2 seaters ever go up with just one person?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that giving your family members a joy ride is strictly prohibited. I can't imagine a set of circumstances where this would be legit.

Brett

Jayne Wayne days, I've heard of those with our bros in green, never heard of them with us though.

They also had a spouse fam day when I was a stud, they got to drive around the t-34's at Whiting. Money for fuel was the reason I was told they didn't take them on a lap in the pattern.

Finally, I've had the opportunity to take my brother flying in the back of the helo, but he's in the Navy, ship's company, so that kinda doesn't count.

phrogpilot73

You hit the nail on the head. It all depends on the leadership's mindset... I've been in some squadrons where you simply had a bird on the line that they could look at. I've been in other commands where they were allowed to ride in the back (and the pilots/crew did not have any significant others riding, so they wouldn't be distracted) for a super benign mission (aka single ship CALs). Since my wife is active duty, it's much easier - and she has an open invitation to ride along anytime she wants (coming from the CO). I think they saw some of her pictures, and wouldn't mind having some of her pictures be of Phrogs with MQ on the tail...

I was told this happened to the Army about 15 years back or so, the officers involved did not fare well. They took their significant others up for a flight and crashed. Both pilot and copilot survived to be court marshaled is what I was told.
Whole 'nother story there - it was in Approach a few years back. They were doing an FCF, and picked their spouses up at an LZ... No approval from higher, no risk-mitigation, and it was an FCF aircraft! I wouldn't do it. One of the pilots in question wrote the article, and as can be understood - he said that what the military could do to him didn't hold a candle to the knowledge that his decision making led to the death of his wife.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You hit the nail on the head. It all depends on the leadership's mindset...

In TACAIR, we need written airwing/typewing approval to even take troops up on an incentive flight. I can't imagine approval for flying family members coming from anything less than CNAF or OPNAV - I.E. it ain't gonna happen. Like I said, maybe it's a green thing. Does anyone on the Navy side have direct knowledge of something like this happening through legitimate channels?

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Whole 'nother story there - it was in Approach a few years back. They were doing an FCF, and picked their spouses up at an LZ... No approval from higher, no risk-mitigation, and it was an FCF aircraft! I wouldn't do it. One of the pilots in question wrote the article, and as can be understood - he said that what the military could do to him didn't hold a candle to the knowledge that his decision making led to the death of his wife.

I'd be interested to read the article. Link anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.