• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
MattWSU said:
I stand corrected.

Is there a reason Clint is in the right seat? I thought it was SOP for the PIC to sit in the left seat. Is it different in Helos?

The "pilot" flies from the right in helos

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Some are cert'ed for single pilot--AH/UH come to mind. They'll usually put an e-dog in the other seat for FCF. The assaults always use 2 pilots.

MasterBates

You can be "single pilot" for MIDN flights and such, but you need to have 2 people in the seats to engage rotors.

As an FCP I could turn by myself with a Mech in the left seat, but there had to be 2 in the helo to turn up.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The 60F/H does not require a crewman. Our SOP says that if we have a sonar, we have to have a crewman, but if we are flying a truck there is no requirement. I flew one of my early fam flights just me and the instructor.

MasterBates

60B only needs backseaters for Boat & Tactical flights.

AWs were in there by SOP for Night/IMC and >50nm from base IIRC, but YMMV.

For FCFs we only took an AW if we were running vibes/track & balance or it was off the boat.

Pags

N/A
pilot
60B only needs backseaters for Boat & Tactical flights.

AWs were in there by SOP for Night/IMC and >50nm from base IIRC, but YMMV.

For FCFs we only took an AW if we were running vibes/track & balance or it was off the boat.
60S always needs a guy in the back, the fuel dump CBs are back there.

Mitch

disease free
For a Cobra, I believe its an AHC and AHQ vice HAC and H2P...Skidkid can clear this up.

it's an FCP who may or may not be an AHC but probably is. beyond that it comes down to what's on the card. if it requires a maintainer to run the box, or if there's and x of opportunity to be had the FCP may grab another pilot. or if the guy flying the test event would rather have a pilot or a maintenance Marine on that particular day, just depends. what's an ahq?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Outside of functional check flights yes the aircraft commander is called an AHC (Attack Helicopter Commander) and the co-pilot is just that, we dont really use H2P much. The copilot may or may not be a PQM (pilot qualified in model), a PQM can sign for the bird but not ordnance.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "pilot" flies from the right in helos

This I knew, but it made me think... Which way did the Osprey go? Mostly helo guys populated the community; did they stick with "what they knew" or did they go with fixed wing conventions?

Status
Not open for further replies.