• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nah, they are good for currents, winds, and if your radar is broke dick, but I digress. I never understood the heartburn associated with moboards... they are easy.

I didn't think they were that big a deal either and, at least for me, they made figuring out true winds (or relatives or ships speed) easier in my head. Often times the quick mental wind calculation was faster and more accurate than what I would get from the bridge.

MasterBates

Yep. I would do a "moboard" from the LSO shack to figure out True Winds (bridge was often wrong) and use that to come up with a recommended Fox Corpen while the bridge was doing my favorite stupid SWO trick..

The "Wind Hunting Circle".

It always boggled my mind how the CV could just BAM! turn into the wind and get it right ~95% of the time, when 90% of the time we got the wind hunting circle.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep. I would do a "moboard" from the LSO shack to figure out True Winds (bridge was often wrong) and use that to come up with a recommended Fox Corpen while the bridge was doing my favorite stupid SWO trick..

The "Wind Hunting Circle".

It always boggled my mind how the CV could just BAM! turn into the wind and get it right ~95% of the time, when 90% of the time we got the wind hunting circle.

Anyone know why?

CVN is commanded by an aviator (supported by professional weather guessers) and DDG/FFG has a bridge full of SWOs, ne c'est pas, MB? ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
CVs also have a flight schedule/Air plan that has very little room for slop. Small boys have one aircraft, and generally, if it gets up in 30 minutes or 25 minutes, it really doesn't matter. In short, it's not a priority to get it right the first time.

And in fairness to shoes...it's not always their fault that then can't turn directly into the wind. Often times where small boys are operating, there's lots of contacts (or shoal water) that they have to avoid while at flight quarters. Now how urgent those contacts are and how well the OOD (or CO for that matter) understands what Red Deck and Green deck actually mean are things up for debate.

MasterBates

Middle of the Atlantic... Nearest contact is a LSD that we just came from, maybe 5-10 miles away. No other ships in company. Just us and the LSD heading off on Eurotrip 05.. Oops BALTOPS.

LSD came into the wind so we could to 16 bounce - n - gos to get their crew flight deck pay for the month. No problems. I had previously "demanded" a bounty of Ice Cream from the HCO (also the porkchop) since Tortuga had a ass-ton of good stuff and we had brown lettuce 4 days out of port.

After we landed, they proceed to FILL the cabin with tubs of icecream. Apparently they had a lot.

Half of it melted while our SWOs tried to figure out how to get winds. Det OIC basically had to direct them from the LSO shack (not uncommon). When informed that we were loaded with 800 pounds of Frozen goodness, they got their shit together real quick.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know why?
In acknowledgment and recognition of what's been offered so far --- the CV/CVA/CVS has another advantage; a huge advantage, in point of fact: it has a small band of outlaws (LSO's, a.k.a. 'Little Shitty Officers', a.k.a. 'Blind Pathological Liars') standing on the blunt end of the BOAT -- IN THE RELATIVE WIND -- who aren't afraid to call up the BOSS (full-well knowing that the BRIDGE is listening in ... :)) and say things like:

"BOSS, I need that 25 knots of wind DOWN THE ANGLE, not 10 degrees off the starboard bow ... "

Believe it. :)

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nah, they are good for currents, winds, and if your radar is broke dick, but I digress. I never understood the heartburn associated with moboards... they are easy.

Oh, i never had any problems with doing them, i was just talking about how i had them shoved down my throat for two years, and haven't used them since. (mandatory swo acclimation=no fun). They were definitely helpful though, when I did have to use them, a whole heckuvah lot easier than trying to finagle shitty YP radar into working.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Oh moboards...what an incredible waste of time

Good for tracking subs when your TACCO is out to lunch and yer acoustic guys are seeing things from under-water... there was nothing more fun as SS3 than piping up in the flight/sim "Hey, I think he's going 020/23 knots" and watching that little gen-track pop up on Tacco-repeat...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
"BOSS, I need that 25 knots of wind DOWN THE ANGLE, not 10 degrees off the starboard bow ... "

Believe it. :)
Ah, the angled deck. The rabbit hole goes deeper! That doesn't create much of a cross-wind problem, does it? They just shoot for max relative wind over the deck, and not the bow (with some simple maths)?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah, the angled deck. The rabbit hole goes deeper! That doesn't create much of a cross-wind problem, does it? They just shoot for max relative wind over the deck, and not the bow (with some simple maths)?

Yes. There's multiple courses which result in something that the pilot wants/needs. In Shoe speak, they steer Fox Corpen which is a true heading. There's also Fox Bravo which (I think) is the true course of the recovery (angled deck). Then there's BRC, which is the pilot-speak number, which is the magnetic course of recovery (Basic Recovery Course). There's one more for the carrier which I'm forgetting and takes into account the angle. Anyone?

All of those can be resolved on a Moboard given relative or true winds.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. There's multiple courses which result in something that the pilot wants/needs. In Shoe speak, they steer Fox Corpen which is a true heading. There's also Fox Bravo which (I think) is the true course of the recovery (angled deck). Then there's BRC, which is the pilot-speak number, which is the magnetic course of recovery (Basic Recovery Course). There's one more for the carrier which I'm forgetting and takes into account the angle. Anyone?

All of those can be resolved on a Moboard given relative or true winds.
Years ago it was called "Final Bearing" on my ships.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's the one. I guess I got my Fox Bravo and FB confused. Just for the sake of professional development (and because I'm too lazy to go look it up in the CV Natops), is FB true or magnetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.