• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whats the fleet readiness center?

Former Naval Aviation or NAVAIR Depot (formerly Naval Air Rework Facility (NARF)). FRC transition also includes Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Departments (AIMD)

You know this is getting moved to the stupid questions thread...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Probably has been asked before, but no clue where:

Why are aircrew wings gold? Are there any other enlisted warfare badges that are gold?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok we've established that I have a retardedly bad memory, so more to the first question. Why gold vs silver? Why are most enlisted badges silver and the officer equivalent gold?

ex: SWO, sub, Aviator wings vs NAP wings, FMF etc.

Yet the Trident and jump wings are gold?

Any particular reason/history?

Well, AFAIK, the sub Dolphins were the first qual pin for enlisted (pre-WWII). Since it's the same design, the finish was the only differentiation between them. Probably just carried over from there.

Oh, and NAPs wore Wings of Gold. The silver Navy wings were for the first Observers (couple of years in the 1920's, I believe).

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I am just going to guess but....

If the wings of Enlisted and Officer are the same design then they are different by color.. If they are not then the same color.. (ie, Seabee Combat, SWO, etc.... Same pin for both) [EAWS throws an exception].. (same pin for both, Jump, Seal,...)

Like I said just a guess???

exhelodrvr

pilot
Seems to me that for SEALs and jump wings, there is no difference in the program for qualifying officers and enlisted. The insignia design is the same, too. For the other programs, there is a significant difference.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Newest C-130s

I have a question for whomever can answer it. I had always thought that the C-130-Js were retrofitted airframes, had a friend tell me they are new airframes. Can someone please tell me if the Js are new airplanes or upgraded versions of the old one?

ejbookie

Helo Q?

Can a SH-60 pilot fly the HH-60? I'm just wondering since they are practically the same platform (from my perspective), if pilots can go from one to the other of if they are attached to just one their whole career. :confused:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Can a SH-60 pilot fly the HH-60? I'm just wondering since they are practically the same platform (from my perspective), if pilots can go from one to the other of if they are attached to just one their whole career. :confused:

I believe HS pilots have a dual NATOPS qual in the SH-60F and the HH-60H. Other 60 pilots would need to become qualified in a particular aircraft before they could fly it (ie, an MH-60S pilot would have to take an HH-60H course to fly it). But the transition would be pretty painless, because at the end of the day, it's basically the same helo.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

When introduced, the HH-60H was folded into the carrier based HS squadrons already equipped with the SH-60F so pilots flew both.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
We have a dual NATOPS qual for the SH-60F and the Hotel. The Hotel brings different capabilities with with Hellfire, FLIR and the ability to do CSAR. We cover all the mission areas in the HS FRS.

There area obvious differences when it comes to mission equipment, but the cockpits are essentially the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.