• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Thanks for the answers and direction for source (MIDNJAC).

I was originally thinking it was based off of most fuel limited being first, but the F-14s being 1xx while the hornets were 2xx and above sorta threw that little theory into the toilet.

MasterBates

I saw the HS Helos being 61X, HSL being either 7XX (west mostly) or 4XX(east).

Most of the HC birds were 2 digits IIRC.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1XX/2XX: Rhinos (formerly VF)
3XX/4XX: Charlies
50X: Prowlers
60X: Hawkeyes
61X: Helos

7XX used to be for the Hoovers. I don't know if the new two-helo-squadron CVWs are using that for the second helo squadron.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1XX/2XX: Rhinos (formerly VF)
3XX/4XX: Charlies
50X: Prowlers
60X: Hawkeyes
61X: Helos

7XX used to be for the Hoovers. I don't know if the new two-helo-squadron CVWs are using that for the second helo squadron.

HSM-71 with 7xx MODEX

Heloramp.jpg
[/IMG]

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HSC(exp) birds are 2 digits with the exception of the east coast RAG who uses 7XX.

Much of HSL (not HSM) west did the same. HSL-45 even had some of the same side numbers as -37, much to a -45 maintainer's surprise when we were shorebased with them. I don't think the wing (at least at the time) had thought the whole thing through because:

RAG was 0x
-45 was 5x
-37 was 5x to 6x
-51 was 0x to 1x

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The MEU uses 1X for Phrogs, 2X for Shitters, 3X for Hueys, 4X for Cobras, 5X for Harriers, and 6X for the SAR bird. Your callsign around the boat is always your side number, independent of any ATO/ATC callsign you may be using.

Pags

N/A
pilot
HSC-8 at Fallon using single digits

I've seen that before and theirs are the only birds I've ever seen like that.* It might have something to do with them being an HSC(CVW) squadron and on their own program.

*I have in no way seen every numbering scheme ever used on a 60S.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I have a general question regarding fueling on Navy jets/turboprops. Are they fueled using SPPR (single point pressure refuelling) or over wing? Both? Just wondering...I've fueled a lot of civilian turbine aircraft, but never anything military.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have a general question regarding fueling on Navy jets/turboprops. Are they fueled using SPPR (single point pressure refuelling) or over wing? Both? Just wondering...I've fueled a lot of civilian turbine aircraft, but never anything military.

I've used BOTH on the ground in jets + one of 'em airborne ... or aren't we counting ... ?? :D

dsc01911sexynf9.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Seen this one?
That's a great shot of the HSC-85 bubbas doing the bambi bucket thing during the fires. I think the neon paint was temporary for the firefighting assignment. I've seen pics of USMC Phrogs with similar numbers painted on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.