• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
USMC Hornet question. I noticed on the photo site Fencecheck.com that some VMFA(AW) squadrons had a few single seat Bugs in squadron colors during a recent Nellis event? Other than FCF's or transfering the jet, why would a "D" have an empty backseat?

Do you mean that it was a single seat jet (F/A-18A/C)? Or that it had two seat, just that one of them was empty?

Empty back seats happen frequently.

highside7r

None
Yes, single seat A/A+/A++/C, didn't look close enough to catch the Lot XX either, but thought it was weird for a normally "D" unit to have them.

I figured on the empty "D" seat, thanks.

Markg

Question

I have a question for anyone who flew A-6 Intruders or KC-130s. However, any Naval aviator who can answer this question please feel free to chime in. Is it possible to be a jet pilot during your AD commitment, and transition to flying C-130's in the reserves (Particularly in the Marine Corps)?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have a question for anyone who flew A-6 Intruders or KC-130s. However, any Naval aviator who can answer this question please feel free to chime in. Is it possible to be a jet pilot during your AD commitment, and transition to flying C-130's in the reserves (Particularly in the Marine Corps)?

In the Navy at least, an aviator can attempt to go FTS (the old TAR) and request VR. The Navy fly's C-130T's in a few squadrons. On old bud flew COD's, then went FTS TAR, flew T-45's for 5 years then moved on to C-130T's.

Markg

In the Navy at least, an aviator can attempt to go FTS (the old TAR) and request VR. The Navy fly's C-130T's in a few squadrons. On old bud flew COD's, then went FTS TAR, flew T-45's for 5 years then moved on to C-130T's.

Thanks for the response sir.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a question for anyone who flew A-6 Intruders or KC-130s.

I'm curious...why was that question for A-6 or Herk guys?

The Navy and Marines have very different policies on changing aircraft during a career. Based on what my green brothers have said around the office, it goes in and out of popularity for them. For the Navy, moving to a different community isn't routine, but not difficult to do if they need to balance out the year group manning. As for Herks in particular and flying them in the Reserves, I defer to Fugly and any of the other Marine Herk bubbas here for the green side. As Bunky says, there are only a few Navy Herk squadrons, and none are active duty. So all Navy Herk pilots are either reservists or FTS (like active duty, but you're assigned to a Reserve squadron), and in either case, flew something else first.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Yes, there is an opportunity to transition to the KC-130 in the Marine reserves.

Here’s last fiscal year’s transition/conversion requirements… MarAdmin

SF

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
USMC Hornet question. I noticed on the photo site Fencecheck.com that some VMFA(AW) squadrons had a few single seat Bugs in squadron colors during a recent Nellis event? Other than FCF's or transfering the jet, why would a "D" have an empty backseat?
I’ve seen D squadrons flying a single seat hornet from time to time… my guess would be that D squadron you saw has a few of their jets in “mod” or at NADEP as well as a couple hard down jets so they “borrowed” a jet or two from other squadrons in order to support that Nellis event.

SF

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Yes, single seat A/A+/A++/C, didn't look close enough to catch the Lot XX either, but thought it was weird for a normally "D" unit to have them.

I figured on the empty "D" seat, thanks.

That is odd. The only time I've seen that was in MAG-12 (Iwakuni) where the MAG CO mixed the aircraft of the permanent F/A-18C squadron (VMFA-212 at the time) with the aircraft of one of the VMFA(AW) squadrons that was UDP at the time.

Why he did this or for how long, I don't know. I don't think that it was a Marine Corps wide policy/science project, though. What squadron was the one that you saw from?

However, any Naval aviator who can answer this question please feel free to chime in. Is it possible to be a jet pilot during your AD commitment, and transition to flying C-130's in the reserves (Particularly in the Marine Corps)?

I have seen A-6E, AV-8B, and F/A-18 dudes do this, but it was very rare and for a specific reason. The A-6 guy got his airframe retired and got a lucky switch on the way out the door. The other TACAIR guys had hurt their backs/neck and couldn't fly ejection seats anymore. They went to Hercs AD and then went to the reserves like any other Herc dude.

In short (and to more directly answer what I think you are asking), it is technically possible to fly jets for all of your AD time, then get picked up by a Marine Herc reserve squadron, but they would have send (and pay for) you to go to the RAG. They would also pass up any other Herc guys (who they don't need to train) so that they could take you.

Theoretically possible, but very unlikely.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Hud'n, hud'n. . .huh?

What were the little holes on top, just forward of the engine nozzle on the F-8 for? (Shown here, open) It looks like there are flappers that can be modulated to control how open the holes are, but I can't really figure out what they're there for in the first place.

CrusaderPanorama.jpg

Markg

Response

Thnaks for all the detailed responses gents. Uncle Fester, I aimed the question mainly at Naval aviators from one of those 2 communities (Intruders, Hercs) because I thought some of them might personally know someone who transfered from one airframe to the other.

vinco

Average active duty assignments

Hey everyone I think this site is awesome and I have been reading all the posts for quite some time, but I still had a question. I'm currently in the process of getting into OCS, but I was wondering if some pilots could answer this: The Navy does 3,6, or 9 month deployments. What is the average deployment length? Next, does this average happen once a year or longer? For example, would an aviator be deployed for 6 months every year? Like I said I find this website to be helpful, but I didn't find a question/response about this. I would appreciate any information. Thanks a lot!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey everyone I think this site is awesome and I have been reading all the posts for quite some time, but I still had a question. I'm currently in the process of getting into OCS, but I was wondering if some pilots could answer this: The Navy does 3,6, or 9 month deployments. What is the average deployment length? Next, does this average happen once a year or longer? For example, would an aviator be deployed for 6 months every year? Like I said I find this website to be helpful, but I didn't find a question/response about this. I would appreciate any information. Thanks a lot!

Deployment length has been discussed, but it's buried in a few different threads. The answer to your questions, like pretty much everything else in Naval Aviation, is "it depends".

The deployment cycle for Tailhookers is notionally an 18-month cycle of six months deployed, six months standdown and ULT (unit-level training, i.e., training by and within the squadron, not involving the Air Wing) and six months work ups (training with the CVW and Boat for the next deployment).

Like everybody else, though, our deployment cycle has gone to hell in the last ten years. I did a cruise and a half and two full workups in my 36 months in the squadron; both cruises were longer than six months. Mrs Fester's Air Wing did a fast-turnaround where they cruised only six months after returning from their previous deployment. I know guys who did three full deployments; I know guys who only did part of one.

CVW-5 is the Japan-based Air Wing and they don't do a "workup-deploy" cycle at all. They go to sea much more frequently, but for shorter durations.

The P-3, EP-3 and helo dudes do things a different way altogether.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Deployment length has been discussed, but it's buried in a few different threads. The answer to your questions, like pretty much everything else in Naval Aviation, is "it depends".

The deployment cycle for Tailhookers is notionally an 18-month cycle of six months deployed, six months standdown and ULT (unit-level training, i.e., training by and within the squadron, not involving the Air Wing) and six months work ups (training with the CVW and Boat for the next deployment).

Like everybody else, though, our deployment cycle has gone to hell in the last ten years. I did a cruise and a half and two full workups in my 36 months in the squadron; both cruises were longer than six months. Mrs Fester's Air Wing did a fast-turnaround where they cruised only six months after returning from their previous deployment. I know guys who did three full deployments; I know guys who only did part of one.

CVW-5 is the Japan-based Air Wing and they don't do a "workup-deploy" cycle at all. They go to sea much more frequently, but for shorter durations.

The P-3, EP-3 and helo dudes do things a different way altogether.

For the HSC (expeditionary) lifestyle the goal is to long cruise twice in a three year squadron tour. Once as a 2P and once as a HAC. There are plenty of other "away from home but not 'deployed'" things to do before/in between/after your long cruises as well that may be anything from a week to 1mo+.

I think HSL is similar to HSC(exp).

HS/HSC(CVW) is subject to the same thing as the tailhook guys for the most part because they're part of the air wing.

HM guys seem to go a lot of different places for varying amounts of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.